Down under, an idiot and a 400F

PJ: excellent info. Didn't realise the SSB's might have circuitry in them, probably explains why their dimensions are the largest. Looks like a great option then, as I already have a charger and they are a known quantity to me too given I've been running one for years without issue.

Also thanks for the input re angle for bike lean. Will check current setup and see what angle I have and keep fingers crossed it's larger than 50 degrees.

doc_rot: you're correct. Probably using a sledgehammer to cut a cake, however the reason was I didn't want weld seams on the exhausts other than the hardware where it slips together. Probably a bit overkill but I wanted the clean tubes.

Will be heading out to hardware store today for some PVC tube, sand and heat gun. Hope to have more updates tonight.

You mentioned you are having a professional weld this up correct? If he is worth his salt he should be able to grind and polish the weld seam out so as to make it invisible. Not only is this going to be cheaper and easier it will eliminate any translation errors that occur when going cnc. My buddy fabricates custom stainless BMW headers as a side business and employs this technique. He often polishes his headers to a mirror finish which would show inconsistencies in the bend right away.. I just hate to see you waste your resources and time when it could be used better elsewhere, carry on.

Appreciate the input doc. I think it's a bit more expensive but shouldn't be too bad as the tube bender is a relatively cheap option anyway as they look after me.

Good day in the shed today, it's always good when I get to do some work on the bike and not only do I make progress but I end up with a pleasant surprise too.

Today was one of those days as I popped in to my local hardware store and purchased:

40mm PVC tube
Cheap heat gun
PVC end caps
Playsand

5FE63EF0-2C36-4B25-9C32-0E149E3307EF_zpsol4ukoco.jpg

I thought I would freestyle the left hand side too see how it panned out. Didn't plan on really using the end result if it was a challenge but was going to use the process as a discovery afternoon on how it worked.

First step was to tap an end cap on the tube, then fill the tube with playsand and cap the other end.

I got a couple of wrinkles in the tube on the first sharp bend but with some later adjustments this went away (a bit) and to be honest I'm not overly worried as it's about the general angles. The PVC took a while to heat with the sand in there as a heat sink but in the end I was able to get a good replication of the original tube but with adjustments to tuck it tighter in to the swingarm:

0FBE2B97-2F34-4353-8A79-C692DFF51A8E_zpsm0qxw68l.jpg

Managed to get a bloody good result on the first go and it matches the right hand side pretty well:

D69032C2-5E0F-42E6-8742-0DA4C0AF1692_zpsbwdjxuqm.jpg

The unexpected surprise is how amazing the new shape looks. It has that sweeping look of the 4-4 exhausts on the 750 which looks sublime!

3FA146A4-169A-499A-98E0-984B3E0FBCE2_zpsl2dtpvek.jpg

69362175-611C-44B3-9D0F-6594C8B0EE10_zpsunwfypio.jpg

The advantage is that not only does the exhaust have more of a pleasant curve but I've also solved my clearance issue with the bike leaned over:

BA546AEE-E1A9-49E9-AA8D-807FB4F474F3_zpswd5wovuw.jpg

With that in mind I thought I would see what angle the foot pegs were in relation to the rear tyre to see if I had more than 50 degrees. So I grabbed my level and a 45 degree angle and looked down the bike to see if the foot pegs would foul:

61C19C99-F35F-4811-BAE4-C6CC475E9D73_zpsrsodnzub.jpg

It looks like Marc Marquez could ride this bike and not worry about scraping the foot pegs as I suspect they are around 60+ degrees.

Glad you found the information useful. Having both wheels on the ground and suspension preloaded will change the angle significantly but I'm prettysure you'll still have more than 50 degrees (plenty for track days nless you fit some super sticky race tyres plus get incredibly brave/stupid ;) )

That was my thinking too PJ. Will check it all once I have the shock to final specs too, but it looked promising on the rear stand.

So I'm ready to take my templates to the tube bender again to have them done up in SS. In the end the templates did not come out perfect, as I had to do some final tweaking and I did that without sand, collapsing the bends somewhat, however I will see what the tube bender says and if I need to redo them, then so be it, however hopefully with all the parts etc for them to gauge the angles, I should be ok... we'll see.

They are really looking good, however I haven't been able to solve the clearance on the right hand side with the bends as any tucking in to the swingarm meant the muffler would foul the swingarm bolt, so I've decided to leave it as is, if I drag the right footpeg (which is highly doubtful), then the pipe might get a little mark too... however I am hoping that the smaller diameter of the actual stainless pipe will mean it tucks slightly inside the footpeg once its all done.

Obligatory pictures:

0CC9A7C0-D70B-4241-8D3F-7F7305A4D404_zpsleatoguw.jpg

21FF80F5-D0B9-4415-9394-B7D4BC737C82_zpsqwlix7hu.jpg

3FA1C4C8-D467-47D9-9F16-B25FFBBAB875_zpsmpmzh50w.jpg

It was interesting to end up with asymmetric secondaries but on further inspection it looks like the swingarm is asymmetric too, so in the end it makes sense. On the bike you don't notice and I have spent a lot of time tweaking the templates to ensure they look symmetrical from every angle (from the side, rear, front) and I am totally happy with how they are now.

I've spoken to by buddy who's welding up the pipes and I'm going for a slip fit into the collector which will transition into the slip fitting in the other side, plus also make adjustments and welding easier. This is pretty much the diameter (external) of the mufflers which is a nice match and means I will look to use the same diameter pipe essentially and have the ends where it meets the muffler swaged to accept the mufflers with spring clips on them for security.

I guess if one side of the pipe is still smooth and un-kinked it should be pretty simple to get bends right?

Hopefully. We might find out today and I was going to try and pop in there on the way home from work.

My secondary exhaust templates are in with Carrington Products for bending (the same mob that did my headers). They were as helpful as ever and helped guide me along the way.

I had 2 options for tube:

1. Two inch - wouldn't fit in the collector (they cannot shrink tube either unfortunately) and was too large for the muffler.
2. 44mm - a perfect slip fit for the muffler and ever so slightly smaller than the collector.

Went with option 2 as it's a perfect fit for the muffler (I have questions on that) plus we can squeeze the collector down a little to make a good fit. It's also smaller diameter which should help with back pressure, especially vs the 2".

So far so good! Carrington even didn't bat an eyelid at my templates :)

So the question?

I'm not a fan of the muffler slipping over the midpipe as I don't like the transition on the pipe (although it will be a seamless flow for gasses into the mufflers). I would have much preferred the exhaust to have slipped in to the midpipe on the exhaust and to not see a join.

So I have a couple of options at this point (happy to hear more too).

A. Shut up and deal with it. It's a minor detail. Eg

f70889c00cafaf6102f13bf5fab3d9f6.jpg

B. Look to expand the midpipes so that I can slip the mufflers inside the tube

Will wait and see once the pipes are finished, then see what the best course of action is, however looking at it in the images above, I don't think it's as bad looking as I had feared.

The mid-pipe slipped over the muffler encourages turbulence, not that it'll much matter for performance, and sooty deposits will push through the seam and look a little messy over time. The other way allows it to butt up to the packing inside the muffler and create a seamless flow.

1fasgsxr said:
You should be able to expand them slightly to make them a tighter fit for the collector.

That's what the tube benders said too, but it looks like the collector can be squashed a bit too, so we'll see if we can do it on the collector alone or if we need to resort to getting the end expanded a bit to get the best fit.

" data-source="" class="bbCodeBlock bbCodeBlock--expandable bbCodeBlock--quote js-expandWatch">
Tune-A-Fish said:
Its just how exhaust goes together correctly. I would let it go and leave it alone.

Ok, I'm sold. Slip fit inside the mufflers it is then.

Back
Top Bottom