CB750 No Plunger Hellride Freedom Machine

Another update. I've been putting some miles on it to sort out the kinks. Right not, it's acting lean, so this bread box may be the culprit and a re-jet may be in order. I still have a few turns on the mix, though. For the first time, I have this thing properly charging. Yay. The chain is hitting the rear fender just a bit and every now and then. This is why I haven't painted it. So, I'll cut it out just a little bit more.

If you look closely to the right side of the image, you can see the groove forming from the chain wear...
77150-020918122746-42982163.jpeg

Fuse box and power buss are located under the starter cover here, and the reg/rec mount. The reg/rec sort of floats off the tranny, so hopefully it stays cool enough.

77150-020918122747-42992404.jpeg

77150-020918122752-43021695.jpeg

77150-020918123138.jpeg

Front brake reservoir goes here, at least for now.
77150-020918122749-43002224.jpeg

I also took a sort of bulky and cheesy license plate dealio, took the light/frame/plate mount off of it and stole the bracket. Machined a cup/bushing so I can mount it above the axle instead of through the axle as it was intended...

77150-020918122744-42972121.jpeg

Sonreir said:
I like the locations for the electrics. Very clean.
Question for you. This LiFePO4 read 14.6v or 14.8v after a long ride this weekend. Should I be concerned? I haven't retested to see if the voltage dropped after sitting awhile.

14.6V is fine, but I would start being a little concerned if it goes past that (even by a tenth). 14.8V is the absolute safe maximum. I usually advise the 14.6V number because the 14.8V means every cell in the battery is at the full max value.

You might be able to bring the charging voltage down a little by routing the black wire from the R/R to be as close to the ignition switch as possible, with as few connections as possible.

I finally got some paint on the rear fender, and wrestling with the idea of clear coating the tank. I'm not against, though I don't think it's all that necessary either. At least with the fresh paint and deep clear on the fender, there is an obvious difference.

77150-240918205934-4426151.jpeg

77150-240918205936-44271537.jpeg

I also put in 25psi of air into the front forks. They needed stiffened up. We'll see if air pressure does the trick or some shimming will happen next.

just outta curiosity, how much pressure do they run in those forks when they are on the cr? I just ask because 25 sounds like a lot, and I had been reading that most bikes of that vintage usually run way lower p.s.i.

also, fender looks great. my vote is to clear the tank :)

Hurco550 said:
just outta curiosity, how much pressure do they run in those forks when they are on the cr? I just ask because 25 sounds like a lot, and I had been reading that most bikes of that vintage usually run way lower p.s.i.

also, fender looks great. my vote is to clear the tank :)
FSM for the GL says 14 - 21psi. 25 psi is not a crazy amount. Pressure for most of the dirt bikes, like the 200r is 12 - 14 psi max. I'm not jumping huge berms or launching off of cliffs, so I'm pretty confident they can handle more pressure. Plus, the rake softens the ride considerably too. This isn't exactly a factory application of these forks. ;)

irk miller said:
FSM for the GL says 14 - 21psi. 25 psi is not a crazy amount. Pressure for most of the dirt bikes, like the 200r is 12 - 14 psi. I'm not jumping huge berms or launching off of cliffs, so I'm pretty confident they can handle more pressure. Plus, the rake softens the ride considerably too. This isn't exactly a factory application of these forks. ;)

that makes sense. I know under compression the psi raises a good bit, and also a good point on jumping curbs. (though a video of you jumping curbs on a hard tail chop in shorts and a tee shirt would make you way more cooler...) lol

Hurco550 said:
that makes sense. I know under compression the psi raises a good bit, and also a good point on jumping curbs. (though a video of you jumping curbs on a hard tail chop in shorts and a tee shirt would make you way more cooler...) lol
I am half tempted to see if it will jump, but then I remember who welded the hardtail on. LOL. In the end, I may get Dave Doug to work this front end with springs and shims. Funny thing, when looking up the numbers for these forks, there are guys that say the valves are just to remove air, and there are guys that say they wouldn't have the valves if they aren't supposed to have air. Some say 0psi and some say 7 - 8psi and some say as much as 12psi. I defaulted to GL1100 numbers, since it's a pig heavy chopper.

irk miller said:
I am half tempted to see if it will jump, but then I remember who welded the hardtail on. LOL. In the end, I may get Dave Doug to work this front end with springs and shims. Funny thing, when looking up the numbers for these forks, there are guys that say the valves are just to remove air, and there are guys that say they wouldn't have the valves if they aren't supposed to have air. Some say 0psi and some say 7 - 8psi and some say as much as 12psi. I defaulted to GL1100 numbers, since it's a pig heavy chopper.

haha, I mean it is like "half dirtbike".. Ive seen roland sands jump Harleys with way less dirbike pedigree. The only thing I worry about with to high of psi is blowing out fork seals, which as you've shared isn't a fun job to replace on these forks. They may well be fine, not saying im right lol I was just more curious.

Hurco550 said:
The only thing I worry about with to high of psi is blowing out fork seals, which as you've shared isn't a fun job to replace on these forks.

I'm not sure on the possibility of blowing out fork seals in the sense of having to replace them. I can see it being possible that they blow out of their seat, but since they are basically wipers, dirt/grit is the bigger enemy for causing leaks. That's why those Seal Mates work, because they clean out the dirt and grit from between the seal and the tube. As long as the rubber is good, I've been able to stop leakage on several forks.

Just for reference the XV1100 is something like 4-6 psi if I remember right.

I have resisted to urge to restore this tank. It has a few dents and dings, chips and rust, and now a thick layer of clear. Yay.

77150-250918181522-4430183.jpeg

77150-250918181521-4428879.jpeg

77150-250918181524-4431234.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom