Project "Caroline" CB350four And so it begins!

Re: Project "Caroline" CB350 Four

I got the carb issues worked out for now, but I will still have to take it all back down and do it all again when my new parts come in. I have decided I may wait until I get the pipes and pods, so I don't have to do this whole thing even more times! But that will depend on how bad it is still leaking fuel and how well it is running.

Alex and I met up at my place for a quick impromptu ride. I wish I had my camera, but since it was unplanned, my wife had the memory card with her. I was able to snap this one pic of the girls catching a break in my drive at the end of the flogging! We had a good time even though we only made about a two hour all together ride. This is the first time we really got to get out and just ride for a while with both of our bike running good. Both of the old girls ran great and we flogged them pretty good in some of the twisties!
SDC12635.jpg

I am just glad I did throw it all back together, this ride made a great ending to a nighmare of a weekend, it was very nice to get out and ride and forget about all the stuff that was on my mind! Thanks Alex!

glad you had a great ride man, and i cant wait to see whats gonna be happening to this bike, like we have said before, your a genius!! haha, so im sure it will show through your creation.

hurley209 said:
glad you had a great ride man, and i cant wait to see whats gonna be happening to this bike, like we have said before, your a genius!! haha, so im sure it will show through your creation.

While I fancy myself as intelligent, genius may be too much...but I will take it! Hahahaha. I am no better than any other common fabricator or do-it-yourselfer on this site, and there are plenty on here who have much more skill and knowledge than myself. For one is Kiley, without his help I would not have gotten her back together and running so smooth, he is the real genius when it comes to these old engines for sure. Thanks for the compliment though, and a big thanks to "The Mad Scientist" aka Kanticoy for his help!

Re: Project "Caroline" CB350 Four VIDEO!!

I made a bracket to mount my camera on the bike last night, so I had a little time this afternoon to test it out. What do you guys think?
1974 CB350f Cafe Racer
This was shot at Barber's marina, the same person responsible for Barber's Motorsports Park. The vid is best from the 3 minute mark on. The cam I have has an auto volume adjust that I have not found a way to disable, but the wind noise makes id dull down the sound and you can not really hear the motor too well. I am going to work in some. I also am going to download some video software for editing once I get the mount and camera nailed down and working good.

Ummmm... I can't see past the tach. Damn fine looking road back there though. I really like the lightning around the 4 min mark too.

tWistedWheelz said:
I made a bracket to mount my camera on the bike last night, so I had a little time this afternoon to test it out. What do you guys think?

Not too bad. Reasonably clear for onboard stuff. I think it probably needs to be mounted a bit higher, to catch maybe 3000-8000 on the tach? Either that (and if you want to see the redline), pull back a bit and up to show us more road? Maybe a baffle of some sort over the mic. That motor sounds so sweet when you can hear it.

Just out of interest, what speed does 8000 on the tach work out to be?

nice work ;)

ian

bikeboy said:
Not too bad. Reasonably clear for onboard stuff. I think it probably needs to be mounted a bit higher, to catch maybe 3000-8000 on the tach? Either that (and if you want to see the redline), pull back a bit and up to show us more road? Maybe a baffle of some sort over the mic. That motor sounds so sweet when you can hear it.

Just out of interest, what speed does 8000 on the tach work out to be?

nice work ;)

ian

I plan on buying a flip camera soon which will bw about 2 inces higher on the mount, so that should be perfect. And in top gear 8000 work out to around 80 mph.

Looks like a damn fun ride Brandon. Wish I was ripping it up out there with you and Alex on those curves. I just had to watch a couple more times.

After putting about lots of miles on Caroline this weekend, she developed an oil leak around the shifter...BUMMER! I ordered the oil seal today, so I took the primary cover off to get to the oil seal that needs replacing and found another problem. The old primary sproket has lost all but three of its teeth! Seriously all of the teeth except for three of them have the tips of the teeth missing! So now I will have to order a new drive sproket. On another note, my camera is roached so no pics, but I am sure ther are a few of you out there that know what damn near 40 years of road grime, grit, and grease under a primary cover looks like! If not, then stop being a pussy and get dirty!

I hope to get her back on the road quick as Barber is coming up in less than a month! Wish me luck!

You mean the front sprocket had 3 f'n teeth?

Hey Brandon, I'm all about choppin stuff up and all but how about a little maintainence first?

Hey brandon, bummer on the problems. Shiz happens though, right? A good little mid to think of is this...these bikes respond pretty well to front sprockets changes...a good 16t will give you the ton all day, while an 18t will increase torque substantially. Only take about 5-8 mph off of the top too. JT sprockets makes a nice cnc replacement for the old girls. Stock is 17. Just thought is throw it out there!

Kanticoy said:
...these bikes respond pretty well to front sprockets changes...a good 16t will give you the ton all day, while an 18t will increase torque substantially. Only take about 5-8 mph off of the top too......

Think you got that the wrong way round - bigger front sprocket = less revs / acceleration / torque. Smaller front = less top speed / more revs ;)

Big Rich said:
You mean the front sprocket had 3 f'n teeth?

Hey Brandon, I'm all about choppin stuff up and all but how about a little maintainence first?

Thought less teeth might save me a little weight! ;D Seriously though, I probably shaved off a pound just in grease and grime from cleaning out the primary cover! :D

And Kiley, I am searching a 16 tooth today! Thanks guys, I want to do the ton, but I also like the idea of quicker response in the low gears for better cornering, I am more into how fast I can negotiate a track than how fast I can go in a straight line! I think the Stock on the Bike was a 16 tooth if I remember right, but that is what I am going back with.

Oh, and back to you Rich, other than the bars, all I have done is maintainence to this one! :p

Just ordered a JT front sprocket for Caroline, 16t for $17 bucks shipped!

*cue the music*

If you wanted less teeth, I am sure someone here would be more than willing to knock some out for you...

I travel the states for 3 weeks and everyone has new projects.
The polishing looks amazing Brandon. I think I need to take a cue from you and put the music on with a beer and zone out.

rad let us know how you like the result of the new sprocket!

Again I am sorry that I have no pics, it hurts me too, but you are really going to hate you can't see my primary cover. I begain to prep it for polish tonight, three hours so far in wet sanding,and it is starting to get there. But the real eye candy is the fact that before I started sanding, I introduced the cover to my favorite speed hole bit!!! ;D

I hope to get my camera replaced soon, the warranty exchange is taking longer than I thought!

Back
Top Bottom