was a rupp roadster, now i dont know what to call it

Re: Rupp Roadster. I think I'm to big for this

Thanks gentlemen. I got my eBay special rear brake-sprocket combo. I have to do a bit of machining to get it lined up, but no biggie there. We will see how she stops, but if it's not up to snuff, I'll put a brake up front too
6897393a04b23ef7b24cb0b035229960.jpg

987cb561f0978ca9526088c23a51f1da.jpg

This wood frame is gonna be a neat piece of wall art when all is said and done
0044ec570470a8e5691cec119cfc2c72.jpg

It's good to have buddies with machine shops. Got the rear drum/sprocket machined. I had to add a few bolt holes as well as open up the center hole to fit the rim.
b89533a0eeda4fc0ca9cd67747548179.jpg

626bd73742bf53d46170039f914b5f9e.jpg

835b820ac17c31e9f76754ea7789fdde.jpg

211414739d1c7b1a106d38211b195429.jpg

Still not sure on the frame. Had this old frame sitting around too, and I'm diggin the look
9ef21d1c890d6055b8e2ce24d06606dd.jpg

The aluminum frame like the wood mockup would be sweet, I just have a ton of projects.

MotorbikeBruno said:
That is pretty cool. I dig the tires :)
Thanks man! I wish they made Firestone champion deluxe in that size lol

hurco550 said:
Thanks man! I wish they made Firestone champion deluxe in that size lol

Haha. Maybe you can petition for it once we all start building these bad boys! 8)

This is a really awesome build. I want that wood mockup.

MotorbikeBruno said:
Haha. Maybe you can petition for it once we all start building these bad boys! 8)

haha I just want the increased performance that champion deluxe tires have to offer =P

deviant said:
This is a really awesome build. I want that wood mockup.

Thanks man =) I don't know what it will actually look like in the end, but I hope it turns out neat one way or the other. The wood mockup is destined to be wall art im afraid, but if that ever changes, ill let ya know =)

Lookin' nice. I wondered how much I was going to have to open up my brake hubs so they'll fit onto the wheels. Will have to do it X2 as I'll be putting the front brake back on... still toying w/ the idea of doing a front disc, though. They've got a nice little caliper over at Glenn's that's about right or I know there'd be one from the front of a smaller 4-wheeler available on eBay.

What size sprocket do you have on the jack shaft? Mine's got a 10 tooth, thinking about maybe changing to a 12 or maybe even 14 tooth. I figure that little 4hp Tecumseh should be ok after the rebuild, but it's 45 years old and maybe if it's geared a little higher riders won't feel the need to have the thing running at such high RPMs... (yeah right!)

ridesolo said:
Lookin' nice. I wondered how much I was going to have to open up my brake hubs so they'll fit onto the wheels. Will have to do it X2 as I'll be putting the front brake back on... still toying w/ the idea of doing a front disc, though. They've got a nice little caliper over at Glenn's that's about right or I know there'd be one from the front of a smaller 4-wheeler available on eBay.

What size sprocket do you have on the jack shaft? Mine's got a 10 tooth, thinking about maybe changing to a 12 or maybe even 14 tooth. I figure that little 4hp Tecumseh should be ok after the rebuild, but it's 45 years old and maybe if it's geared a little higher riders won't feel the need to have the thing running at such high RPMs... (yeah right!)

I think I could assist in opening those up if you need, and there will also likely need to be more mounting holes added to fit your new wheels (of course you could get lucky and they be the same =)

I will have to count the teeth. Mine is set up for a 35 chain and I believe yours is a 40, so it wont be the same regardless. Mine did come with a 40 sprocket for the front too, and ill count and let you know. I may waterjet a #40 sprocket for the back to have a little stiffer setup =)

hurco550 said:
I think I could assist in opening those up if you need, and there will also likely need to be more mounting holes added to fit your new wheels (of course you could get lucky and they be the same =)

I will have to count the teeth. Mine is set up for a 35 chain and I believe yours is a 40, so it wont be the same regardless. Mine did come with a 40 sprocket for the front too, and ill count and let you know. I may waterjet a #40 sprocket for the back to have a little stiffer setup =)

The difference may be in the year because I just took the front wheel off and the brake drum off it and that drum just slides right onto the new wheel, pretty as you please. I will have to put new holes into the drums to match up w/ the holes in the wheels, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I was talking about the number of teeth on the front sprocket. It looks like the thing has #35 chain but maybe I'm wrong. The '70 was sort of an odd duck; it has the new frame style but had 10" wheels so maybe they went to different chain when they went to the 12" wheel.

ridesolo said:
The difference may be in the year because I just took the front wheel off and the brake drum off it and that drum just slides right onto the new wheel, pretty as you please. I will have to put new holes into the drums to match up w/ the holes in the wheels, but that shouldn't be too difficult.

I was talking about the number of teeth on the front sprocket. It looks like the thing has #35 chain but maybe I'm wrong. The '70 was sort of an odd duck; it has the new frame style but had 10" wheels so maybe they went to different chain when they went to the 12" wheel.

sounds like you lucked out. The rear sprocket and drum that I got was some NOS manx cat or something like that, so I knew the odds of it fitting were slim lol

I was looking at yours when I was there the other day, and im pretty sure that your chain is heavier than a 35. I have a chunk of 35 sitting here if you wanna compare =)

So this now could have been 3 separate build threads, but oh well. Found a $75 complete mini bike on cl. Couldn't pass it up. Got it home, and after a few laps around the yard, my wife decided that I had bought her a new mini bike. Truth be told, seeing her on two wheels made me smile pretty hard, so it's hers now lol.
9f04630c041f6f7b5b4625233962a881.jpg

Didn't take me long to figure out that 2 h.p. isn't enough, so 6.5 should do the trick
a48079b31bc9173f8b4b8ab141a33258.jpg

That looks like a good one.

hurco550 said:
So this now could have been 3 separate build threads, but oh well. Found a $75 complete mini bike on cl. Couldn't pass it up. Got it home, and after a few laps around the yard, my wife decided that I had bought her a new mini bike. Truth be told, seeing her on two wheels made me smile pretty hard, so it's hers now lol.
9f04630c041f6f7b5b4625233962a881.jpg

Didn't take me long to figure out that 2 h.p. isn't enough, so 6.5 should do the trick
a48079b31bc9173f8b4b8ab141a33258.jpg

That a boy! She looks quite happy on it! Nice score!

https://youtu.be/4JWm4TlylXw

Back
Top Bottom