GS-550L to GS-674 Frankenbike project

Re: GS-550L Cafe Project

the build thread might be on caferacer, the pistons needed to be pocketed deeper, plus it's running a high lift cam, megacycle 123-70 or something, I could get you the number if you want but it's what they recommend for a non-track bike.

Man I really want a fairing...
mockup3.jpg

I wont have much time to work on the bike this weekend, so I've been doing stuff in my head :p

Those viper fairings aren't bad but I've been drooling over a half fairing. Either the Knoscher style from Airtech or one of the Ducati replicas from Glass From the Past. Both are pricey though :-\ , both will come to around 350 bucks before being mounted (with windscreen) with the airtech ones being a bit cheaper.

Knoscher
knoscher_guzzi.JPG

Ducati
1327889167970-107318365.jpeg

The Duc one is kinda wide at the front though, it looks like a hammerhead shark. More taper in the front would look better I think.
1327889168617-801827630.jpeg

My main project for the weekend was clearing off the work bench. Man, that shaftie transmission adds a LOT of weight :eek:. I was able to lift the 550 from the ground to the table no problem but I needed help with the 650.

img20121111184757.jpg

I got the 550 mostly torn down.

img20121111223831.jpg

img20121111222836.jpg

I finished up the night by getting the pistons off the rods. I'm still stuck with the cases though, everything is unbolted I've checked multiple times inside and out (and the manual) and it doesn't want to come apart. There has to be something still bolted, its getting ridiculous.

Oh, and this stuff is coming tomorrow...

kgrhqvjke66ttvpkboyz8pn.jpg

+

kgrhqnjke6ybrirbqmgftpj.jpg

+

t2ec16rhjhge9n0yflhbqot.jpg

Kickstart baby ;D. I've always wanted a bike that had one. Suzuki did away with it after 1979 but the 81-82 motors still have the castings to retrofit it. I just needed the assembly and the correct clutch cover.

Man I hate this thing I really do. I had to stop for the night before I just smashed the damn thing open with a sledgehammer. Every bolt is out and I swear it does NOT want to come apart no matter what I do.

This bastard in the front is seized on there solid, I'm 100% sure there's one of those steel inserts and it is basically welded together.
imag0889s.jpg

I have some separation in the back and up to the front on the left side. The front and front right just won't budge.
imag0891j.jpg

It isn't supposed to be this difficult, I don't know where to go from here. My arm is sore from using the rubber mallet.

btw does this look stock? It's the base gasket.
imag0894u.jpg

Toast, I'm not sure about the 550, but the 650 and 450 twins have a couple bolts in the oil filter housing and above the oil pan that are extremely easy to miss. But even then, the cases seem to be glued together after 25+ years of being stuck together.....

There are two that hide above the oil filter housing lid thing, but those are out. I got the ones inside the oil pan too. I think the problem is that they have been split sometime in the past, I can see the sealant kind of oozed out in some spots (I cant see any on my 650 engine). There are the two big steel inserts, one in front and one in back that keep it from shifting. I shined a light at the one in the back since I have more clearance and I can see it's slathered in sealant.

So I think whoever split it sometime in the past used a different sealant (its dried rock hard btw) and put some on those inserts which essentially glued the two cases together. I managed to get some separation in the front so I'm just gonna keep trying to tap it apart. Hopefully the cases stay flat and don't get tweaked, but if they do matched sets on ebay are only $70ish dollars shipped.

Got the cases split tonight.
img20121115225421.jpg

I test fit the kick start assembly, I think it's right. Is it supposed to engage and disengage the gears?
imag0901p.jpg

I'll look at it more later, I had a victory drink (some good whiskey) and I'm gonna get some sleep. This weekend is cleaning and tearing down the 650 engine. Maybe if I have time I'll start mocking up the rear sets.

Woot!

Congrats man. Was it the sealant that had it glued together?

Yea and the steel locating pins were corroded some. Once I was finally able to break it loose it came apart relatively easily.

Congrats! I know first hand how frustrating those alignment dowls can be. It pays to persist. ;)
Hope you never have to split the case again but those pins are used in so many places, a very small amount of anti-sieze on them goes a long way when you put it all back together.

I started disassembling the 650 engine this morning.

imag0903gk.jpg

imag0905.jpg

Pretty drastic difference in size between the 650 and 550 pistons.
imag0909e.jpg

Today I wanted to try Plastidip on my wheels. I want to replace them with E wheels or spokes someday so I didn't want to go through the whole paint and prep process on these. It looks okay in pictures but they were all blotchy and discolored. I just hit it with some sandpaper and degreased.

imag0925h.jpg

imag0927.jpg

imag0928a.jpg

It came out pretty good, it does a good job of smoothing itself off and has a semi gloss finish.

imag0932r.jpg

imag0931.jpg

I borrowed a caliper from a friend to check the shift forks :(. They are wayyyy under spec. It was only a little difficult to shift into first sometimes and second to third if I didn't do it really smooth. I didn't think it would be that bad though, so now I have to look on eBay for good used ones. I think I found a good set but I have to look around a bit.

imag0936l.jpg

imag0937.jpg

imag0940o.jpg

The minimum spec is like 5.30mm... Luckily the gear dogs (I think is the right word) are in perfect shape and so is the shift drum.

Btw, I plastic dipped the fork legs and it came out pretty good. If I don't like it I can just peel it off but again In don't wanna paint them because I'd like to get e forks.

Btw has anyone here used the EBC heavy duty clutch kit? I need new plates, they're within spec but super hard and while they didn't slip before with the extra power they probably will. Its almost a $100 for new OEM and half that for the ebc kit.

In have some of the heavy duty springs already that I can install btw, but it was so odd when I checked the stock ones. Half of them were above minimum spec but half were way under... Strange...

I think the guys over on the GSResources say to use all stock Suzuki clutch components. But I've used EBC parts in my GR with no issues at all. Matter of fact, ill be using them again in my GS450 soon.

What is the limit for those? you are only 4-5 thou less than stock if 5.30mm is standard which doesn't sound like a lot. Or is that the minimum? That shouldn't be enough to make much difference to shifting. Check the dogs and see what they look like.

5.30 is the minimum thickness for the shift forks, the upper end is 5.40. The dogs all look good, theres not any damage to the corners. This engine only had 24,000 miles, it seems kinda premature for them to wear out so fast.

Depending on where / how it was ridden, similar to brakes.
All city traffic would be a shit ton of shifts compared to highway cruises in 24,000 miles

Back
Top Bottom