A FUCKING HUGE RANT

BC, that sucks man. I am sorry this happened. Hang in there bud and keep backing up when you can. I lost a harddrive with our kids pictures and videos on it from birth to 4 years later. My wife was depressed for 6 months. Lost it due to hardware failure on the drive. I bought a $65 data recovery software and was able to get 90% of those precious memories back. We never got a video back tho that was of our first kid kicking from inside mommies tummy.

I am still pissed at myself for not having a back up. I know exactly how you feel. Hang in there man!

Well it was only 5 months ago that Apple brought out IOS7 that turns the iPhone 4 into a piece of crap and they made sure you couldn't revert back to 6 because of security reasons!

I got this info from our company's IT guy, he's a sharp guy and has nothing to gain... Like I said, nothing to lose so unless you want to make a point to prove it wrong, shut down auto updates, it's a no brainer.

So, what I'm getting out of this, is I should just convert to linux, and this 528 MHz, 512 MB of ram Compaq would be ok to continue to use?

That would be kewl.....

canyoncarver said:
Most folks stick with Windows because it's all they know and all they've ever had. [ You pay for the operating system, you pay for the hardware, you pay for the software. You pay, pay, pay. ]

I switched my 71yr old mom and my 75 yr old dad to Linux a few years ago and trust me, we are ALL happier for it. I don't have to rebuild it every time she clicks on "infectmycomputer.exe" anymore or just accidentally hits a site serving up viruses and malware.

Under the hood, Linux is very different than Windows. In the drivers seat, it's very very similar. Now and then she'll complain when she can't install some 5$ cdrom full of old shitty games but she's learned to find better games online. Cameras work, multifunction printers work, etc... and it's FREE and much more immune to most of today's computer threats.

I'm betting you have some computer shops at a university nearby that can help you. At least they could let you try it out and walk you through the differences so you can see for yourself. They can also help you rescue data from your old drive. Worth a try.

XP didn't become a virus target overnight, it has always been a vulnerability nightmare.

Good luck in whatever direction you go.
It's true about having to pay for everything! I can't get a key for 2007 office. I would have to buy it for 2013 for around $150.00

AAtin-foil-hat.jpg

For those using Linux, how do you run applications that are build for Windows in Linux? For example photoshop, word, excel etc...

Cafe_to_go said:
For those using Linux, how do you run applications that are build for Windows in Linux? For example photoshop, word, excel etc...

That's one of the more important concepts to think about when switching operating systems. Your apps and if you are married to them or just think you are. There are very good alternatives and you can run alot of windows programs within Linux with free software like Wine.

And where does one get this linux? Ive never liked the vista on my laptop. I know google it or something, but Im hesitant to download anything unless I can know the source is good.

Suggestions?

Also BC, sorry that happened, and very sorry some assholes here were laughing at you for not having the wherewithal to change systems before Microsoft gave the XP users the finger. If I had XP I woulda been in the same boat.

There's about a thousand different versions of Linux, I'd advise someone new to Linux to use Ubuntu. Can be downloaded here:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Ubuntu is efficient enough to be run straight from a cd-rom. Try it before you fully jump ship.

Cafe_to_go said:

I use LibreOffice for word/excel, and Pinta or GIMP for photoshop. For those that care I also use Draftsight for CAD (very similar to autocad).

I generally dual boot if there is anything I really need to use windows for, but there is also Wine and VMware

Cheers

what am i missing here ??? windows 7 works worlds better than vista and it updates automatically, i have never had any issues with it

ProSimex said:
And where does one get this linux? Ive never liked the vista on my laptop. I know google it or something, but Im hesitant to download anything unless I can know the source is good.

Suggestions?

I like Linux Mint much better than stock Ubuntu. Ubuntu's parent company Canonical, has been going in odd directions.

http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

Try Mint 16 with Cinnamon. Probably the 64bit version.

xb33bsa said:
what am i missing here ??? windows 7 works worlds better than vista and it updates automatically, i have never had any issues with it

I use windows 7 at work, it works fine...

How about this for a comparison...

Your laptop is a CB750 (say... 78)
Windows 7 = Full fairing, stereo hacked into the harness, and a cup holder.
Mac = F model, stock spec, except every bolt is custom and you can't buy tools.
Linux = Whatever you want, cafe racer to full fairing.

So...
Windows generally works well, you have lots of features, but its heavy and slow and every once in a while the shoddy stereo shorts out the ignition and the whole thing needs to be restarted.
Mac, works great, nice fast, looks pretty, not as many features and doesn't randomly fault. But.. you can't buy the tools, so after a 40 to 50k you are going to need to re-invest.
Linux, you can choose to do whatever you want, if you have the time and skill you can choose to go full custom and have near a race bike (well... as near as a 78 CB750 can get lol), or you can have a POS that doesn't run, alternately you can choose the kit approach and have a decent bike that looks cool and does what it needs to (e.g. ubuntu).

Cheers

oh oh forgot one...

Windows 7 on an old laptop is like taking all of the goodies from the 78 full fairing cb750 expect they are installed on a 73 cb350, yes it will work, but it isn't exactly fast, and may shut off every time you try to play an 8 track (its 78, tapes haven't been invented yet).

I think I ate too much chocolate, I'm getting way to much entertainment from this...

Cheers

I have Vista on my laptop and I wish it would blow up.
But then again I am not a big fan of Windows 8 either.
Have never delt with Windows 7 but I soon will having to replace several computers at work.

Back
Top Bottom