Taking the plunge, literally. Could use some info.

Killman77

当有疑问时踢你的敌人在生殖器上,你可以道歉后
All right, so here's the story.

The girlfriend and I were supposed to take a cross country ride this Summer. She hasn't been to visit back East in years, (our plans to move to Montreal last year went to Hell) and it was going to be a chance for me to finally meet her father and some of her other family. She took a new job that lets us both take weekends off, the downside is that she won't be able to take the time off for such a long trip.
I was going to propose somewhere along the ride, so I've been looking for a Plan B.

She's decided that she wants to go skydiving the day before her birthday. Her sister and her sister's fiance are coming, and hopefully some of her close friends, too. I can be kinda slow on the uptake, but as I was on the front step today having my morning coffee, the penny dropped. PERFECT!

I can't really ask any of our friends for advice, this can be a smaller town than you'd think, word gets around pretty quick.
So, here's where I could use a hand. I don't know jack shit about rings. We're both big, rough, outdoorsy and active. Stuff gets broken around us, just a fact of life, so some wafer thin trinket ain't gonna cut it. I saw some titanium engagement rings a while back, mentioned them in conversation, and she liked the idea. Gonna spend the next couple of days doing some research while she thinks I'm resting up after my last contract.
I'm wondering if anyone here's got some helpful advice on how to pick out/order a ring. I'm going to need it by the last week of May and I'll probably need to use my bonus cheque, (which comes in on the 20th) to pay the bulk of the cost. She'd clue in pretty quick if my next paycheque suddenly vanished, (although she probably knew a few days before I even thought of it). ;)
Any other helpful hints or anecdotes are totally appreciated. I worked in restaurants & bars for years and cringed/laughed at a lot of proposals gone wrong. I figure not dropping the ring on the way down from the plane would be a good start. ;D

I bought our wedding bands used at a pawnshop in downtown toronto.
They are solid white gold, they dont get caught on stuff, easy to do any work or anything with the ring on, dont even notice it.

They cost about $120 each. Should be able to find something similar at a pawn shop, we had to ask for them, then they brought out a tray with all kinds of simple white gold rings. These are not on display.

Does she have a pintrest? When I went shopping I took printouts of the rings my lady friend had posted. You could also see if any of her friends have any insight as to the styles she might like. Material is up to you (her) but 10k gold is pretty durable and you'd be surprised how durable even small rings are. Also, I think it's pretty common for most places to have lifetime repairs if they are ever required.

The only style advise I have is that she's the one that has to wear the ring so her style and taste should come first before anything you like. $.02

Good luck!

I have no clue on sizing or ordering. But if it were me, and as for the skydiving, I wouldn't try to give her the ring in the air. That just seems like a recipe for disaster. I'd have the people on the ground unroll a giant sign (big enough for her to read from the air) after y'all jump, that says "Will You Marry Me _____?" And then take a knee and give her the ring on the ground.

Thanks Lurk, cool idea.

It's been a pretty scarce few years, we've pretty much lived and died by CL and UsedVictoria for almost everything. Got some crazy deals too. But I'd like her to have a new ring. She doesn't like gold, and she's given me a positive response to the titanium thing, so I think that's the way I'd like to go. That being said, we have too much planned for me to drop a crazy amount, so it's gonna be something simple. Can always upgrade later.
No printerest, (not even really sure what that is, lol) she's told me she wants something simple, nice and not too spendy. Pretty sure she means it, too, not the biggest Princess on the block by far.

Holy Crap Redbird! I was just gonna take a knee after she calmed down a bit from the jump ;D

Alright, think I got this nailed down. Went to a buck a record sale, and stopped in at a couple of jewelry stores. Big fancy one was predictably a washout, little fancy easily breakable stuff. Little mom & pop place had this nice little ring, like one that I had my eye on from looking online. Fifteen point diamond, (whatever the Hell that means) white gold, nice simple but funky design and $450.
They had a wedding band that looked great with it. They make custom jewelry onsite, so they said they could join the two and even put in a larger rock down the road. Very nice folks.

done and done, I think ;)

Glag you've got a plan Killman77!! I'm sure she'll love what you choose. :-*

Simple is good in my books. After bending, scratching and finally loosing my gold band, mine is stainless steel now. :)

You really scared me with the 'subject' though... I thought you'd bought a Honda!! :eek: ;D

It's appreciated, I just don't think I can do it.

We'll be jumping for the first time, solo, and I don't want her to get distracted and break her leg/neck. Me either ;D

Right on, off to chat up my friendly neighbourhood back alley diamond merchant :D

Pretty happy with the one I picked out, for $450 she gets a real diamond, (not huge, but real) and a simple but nice white gold ring. Just about perfect as far as my list of wants went.

It's tough walking around with that kind of secret from her. I just keep picturing her doing her happy dance whenever I catch myself about to spill the beans.

Well, it's official, I'm engaged!

Talked with a friend who's working at a funky new local Tapas Lounge. They were featuring a live acoustic guitarist, playing love songs, (I know, right?). She got the owner involved, and the two of them brought in a funky table for two, front row centre, by the stage. I brought in some glasses and champagne earlier in the day, they put down candles for us, and she even stole flowers from City Hall for a centre-piece!

So, I had the ring, I had the candle-light dinner in the funky restaurant with the awesome girly menu, (bacon wrapped dates with goat cheese and almonds anyone?) I had the flowers, the romantic music and the two-story brick walls lined with rockin' art.
Well shit, I guess it was showtime...

I waited until after the appetizers were finished and asked her to step outside, damn near shit myself when she said yes, (here it is, this is IT Boy! Don't fuck this up for the poor girl...).
You see, I wasn't sure when I was going to do it. I had wanted to take her skydiving, but then it turned out I was going to be under full sedation at the dentist's next week, and didn't want to spill the beans. Then I thought I'd take her camping to Lizard Lake and propose down at Botanical Beach, but the weather forecast was dodgy. So then I was going to do it while we got ready to go out for dinner, but the downstairs neighbours decided to have a rockin' house party that night, so no love there. Hell, I even asked her to take a stroll down to the nearby park, so I could pop the question on the bridge over the little wooded creek, but no sooner were the words out of my mouth than clouds and rain rolled in... sonofabitch, could I catch a break already?

So here we were, she's walking out the door ahead of me, (did I mention how killer she looked? New green skirt, sexy lacy black top, and her new cafe jacket, my girl was bombin'!) and I'm

Freaking.

The.

Fuck.

Out.

What am I doing? I'm going to propose to her on the street? What the Hell is wrong with me? It's beautiful in the restaurant, that's why we're there, why am I going outside? Oh my God, what was I going to say again? Damn it, she must already know what I'm doing, I never wear a jacket all night, (trying to hide the bulge in my pocket from the ring box, you see) and I've been acting like a fool trying to make sure to sit with the ring on the far side from her in case she puts her hand on my leg. Oh crap, here it is, she's turned to face me, oh God oh God oh God, I can't get the damned ring out of my pocket even though I've practiced this like a hundred times...

Nobody, not one single soul, ever mentioned that I would be rendered speechless. Down on one knee, gaping at her like a fish on the beach, trying desperately to remember what the devil I had rehearsed.

So I asked her to marry me.

And she said yes.

And I'm the luckiest bastard on the planet today.

So thanks for the kind words, guys. Glad I didn't fuck it up.

You poor bastard, you have it bad. ::)

ISN'T IT GREAT!!! ;D

Please remember the way you feel right now, it will help curb the rage that you WILL feel sometime in the next 50+ years. (if you are lucky, and honest, and work HARD at making it work, and she is too). ;)

Oh yeah! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Congratulations man, just be prepared to have to search for your parts in the mail from a forest of wedding magazines. And if she asks for your opinion on something for the wedding, don't just hand her the credit card and tell her to do what she wants. It was a lot of fun for my wife and myself to plan our wedding/reception don't pass up on it. And when that day comes, have a lot of pictures taken. You're going to be busy as hell shaking hands, hugging, and talking that day is going to feel like it shot by. Also be prepared to have about four or five drinks out at a time. You'll get one then go over to talk to someone then get pulled away turning into 'where the hell is my drink, better get a new one' and repeat... But it's a great thing being married man, congrats again.

Thanks guys. Still weird looking at her every once in a while, realizing she's going to be my wife :D

Skydiving is definitely going to happen, can't wait!

4eyes said:
You poor bastard, you have it bad. ::)

ISN'T IT GREAT!!! ;D

Please remember the way you feel right now, it will help curb the rage that you WILL feel sometime in the next 50+ years. (if you are lucky, and honest, and work HARD at making it work, and she is too). ;)

Oh yeah! CONGRATULATIONS!!! :)

Ain't that the truth, there have been days I have wanted to drown my wife in a bucket....but a lot more days when I think GOD DAMN I'M LUCKY!

Back
Top Bottom