What base bike would you choose?

Ribo

Twist the "go-go" side and hold on!
I was wondering, given the wealth of experience here this probably make for an interesting discussion..

If you had $3000 and all things being equal what bike would you choose to use as the base for a cafe racer?

I'm very partial to V4 engines. I'd go with a VFR 750 or similar. Maybe something like a mid 80s V45 or V65 Honda Sabre I'd the VFR is too new for you.

There's a guy on YouTube called Hack-A-Week who did a really good V45 cafe racer not too long ago. Can't post a link because I'm on my phone right now but check it out.

Here's the link to the final video of the build:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uox9BuVZXTQ#t=858

Tough question. In my world I can make $3000 go very far. I suppose I'd spend the most on a solid running bike to take a lot of time off the table. The less you have to sort out mechanically the sooner you'll get done and be able to ride (well, hopefully). Lots of good contenders out there. Anything in the CB, XS, GS, KZ ranges of the 70's would make a great platform. I guess mostly it would be your preference of do you want a single, twin, or 4 cylinder (or one of the few 3 cylinder bikes)? What displacement? Etc.. There is loads of info on most of those bikes so a little research will help you determine any problems that any of the models/years may have had and was there ever a fix for said problem. Happy hunting.

With 3 grand you can build about anything you want assuming you already have the tools.
Just grab whatever bike you like best.
How big are you? Do you want fast or nimble? Both? Do you like 2 or 4 stroke?
There's just too many options.
Do you already have a daily rider and now you want a racer? Or will this be your only bike?

'75 or '76 CB550. Obviously reflects my personal preference and the fact that I've owned the same one for 25 years (and had a half dozen others along the way). Great all around bike, reliable, fast enough to hit the freeway, small and nimble enough to cruise around town, good looking, and parts are still around. I would also err more on the side of getting something cheaper and doing the work as opposed to buying something more expensive and assuming that it's going to be solid. Doing the work means you know it's solid, and it's time well spent.

That being said, there are a ton of great bikes out there, and I am more of an opportunist -- I look with an open mind for cool but cheap stuff and go from there.

Just to be clear - I don't have 3K and I'm not looking right now, I wish I did - I just thought people's personal preferences would be interesting....so don't sit of the fence.. what would you what if you could have it as a solid base bike.

I'm a big CB fan too, If I hadn't been given the XJ I'd probably be working on a CB550.

i think it would matter what kind of riding you are going to be doing
or are you just gonna build a showpiece ?
persinally i would do an RD or a thumper

KZ650 is a great middle weight starting point, but it is a 4 cyl.
SR500 is light and quick, but parts are not cheap.
Right now I'm curious as to how much could be done with an early CBR600 or FZR as they are getting cheap.
THen again, the early dual sports are appealing for the high fuel mileage as a light but cool commuter.

Hell, I like 'em all in some way...

Probably another Savage/S40. Have a vintage styled distance bike project and a police style daily driver. Want to build a Scrambler version, a Cafe version, a rigid springer version, a trike and a mini Indian Chief version. Yep, I want a different styled one for each day of the week...

For a starting point under 3K, I'd look for a 71-72 Triumph 650. They donn't bring the big bucks because they are the first years of the OIF and they are before the jump to 750. Pretty easy to find running, if a little ugly. Good bikes, plenty of aftermarket. And its hard to get cooler than a Triumph. But I'm kinda partial so...

Bozz said:
KZ650 is a great middle weight starting point, but it is a 4 cyl.
SR500 is light and quick, but parts are not cheap.
Right now I'm curious as to how much could be done with an early CBR600 or FZR as they are getting cheap.
THen again, the early dual sports are appealing for the high fuel mileage as a light but cool commuter.

Hell, I like 'em all in some way...
I picked up an early 90's CBR600F2 for $500 to play with. I sold the seat, and the exhaust it came with for $250, so now I have right about $400 in it with new tires. I threw some gas in it, and it ran like a champ. It's a blast to ride.

IMAG0915_zpsfad0bc3f.jpg

J-Rod10 said:
I picked up an early 90's CBR600F2 for $500 to play with. I sold the seat, and the exhaust it came with for $250, so now I have right about $400 in it with new tires. I threw some gas in it, and it ran like a champ. It's a blast to ride.

IMAG0915_zpsfad0bc3f.jpg

Some cool custom side covers and finish work... That thing would be awesome! Very cool.

As a mental exercise, three grand will get you a pretty nice running bike (or two ok ones) . I put a 3000$ cap in a w/pic only search on CL and I'm always surprised at what I can find.

I have a buddy that rode an older F2 like the one above for years after most people would have parted it out. Pretty solid bike.

What I tend to look for:

KZ's, GPZ's, and thumpers, preferably Yamaha or Kawasaki.

I think it's great if someone saves a vintage bike and makes it a café.... I hate when people buy pristine vintage bikes and hack them up, It's their $ and none of my business, but we all see the hack jobs on C/L. I do like that people are buying mass produced bikes and turning them into something more appealing, and the latest bike I see this with, is the 90's up CB750 or the 80's Virago's. These bikes had little character, but some of the guys on hear have made them into kick ass cafe's...

If I had a choice of any bike I could get I would go with a GT380. Change the seat and bars and be done. Sexy bike to begin with. Plenty nimble and decent power.

What I did end up with was a near junk GS750 and about $3k bill of "needed " parts. So I guess that is your answer.

Back
Top Bottom