Yamaha rd350 Road Racer Liquid Cooled!!

Re: Yamaha rd350 road racer

adventurco said:
That is pretty nifty. You machinists, you. Is that nylon at the tip?

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON
Most guys use some type of hard plastic like uhmw or delrin. I used a piece of hardwood dowel rod, cuz that's all I had ha

Got my banshee manifold in with the crossover tube. Baby steps lol
fc0c4eb108628848c0500cfb8575d8a8.jpg

What's the consensus on running the banshee manifold with stock reeds? Just trim these little ears off?
6f0ffae79532fd561b03d2ffbafbc33c.jpg

Leave the ears. They help smooth the airflow into the cage. Steps cause turbulence.

Leave em... get a set of V-Force reeds for a banshee mang... It's only $$$$$$ :eek:

Shoeman said:
Leave the ears. They help smooth the airflow into the cage. Steps cause turbulence.
They don't fit in the cage

I had to cut them off on my RD to make them fit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oops. I did not realize you were still using stock RD cages. Definitely not going to fit. Off they go then.

So you just wanted those manifolds for the crossover tube to maybe add a boost bottle later? Fair enough. Related story from my racing days, I once saw a fellow RD racer blow a piston to smithereens like ya do once in awhile, and it not only smashed the reed cage to bits but it also let the other still running non-exploded cylinder suck all kinds of tiny fragments through the bottle and wreck the piston and head on that side too. It was impressive. A rare occurrence though, and one you're not likely to run into. It took him quite a bit of work during the rebuild to make sure he got all the debris out of the bottle as well. In fact now that I think about it (20 years ago mind you) he ditched the bottle and went back to standard manifolds. Got paranoid about it happening again.

Shoeman said:
So you just wanted those manifolds for the crossover tube to maybe add a boost bottle later? Fair enough. Related story from my racing days, I once saw a fellow RD racer blow a piston to smithereens like ya do once in awhile, and it not only smashed the reed cage to bits but it also let the other still running non-exploded cylinder suck all kinds of tiny fragments through the bottle and wreck the piston and head on that side too. It was impressive. A rare occurrence though, and one you're not likely to run into. It took him quite a bit of work during the rebuild to make sure he got all the debris out of the bottle as well. In fact now that I think about it (20 years ago mind you) he ditched the bottle and went back to standard manifolds. Got paranoid about it happening again.

Yeah, probably just stick with the crossover tube for now. A Few people recommended it. Funny, I got my love of vintage two stroke bikes from growing up working on and riding vintage sleds. Many of them have a 2 into 1 exhaust with a shared chamber, and I've seen em puke part of a piston out of one cylinder onto the manifold only to be sucked into the other side, thoroughly destroying it too lol

Shoeman said:
Pro Tip: if you ever grenade one cylinder, on anything, you need to rebuild all cylinders since whatever "trick" you employed on that one, is going to eat all the others.

Nice built otherwise. I would suggest you decide and do the cylinder port work and exhaust before deciding on manifolds and cages.

Made a little headway the last few days. Made some fixturing to deck the jugs and put the o ring groove in.

e2c377772c03df256e3bc1081c368382.jpg

820f5941532cc7d194409942e24622e7.jpg

3cf209144c0fcf5b1adfa15cc045e72a.jpg

611f1e756e34c9e19fce1b30e7dbba4a.jpg

Plate goes into the transfer ports to draw it to the fixture.
69c2d809125fac97fe224c97dd42a74d.jpg

Aluminum block makes sure the all thread stud doesn't walk size to side allowing the hold down to exit the ports
5acec2aa7966b25020373aa2d877176b.jpg

All thread goes clear through the spindle holding it all together
d74913a0860d15def6e30dd9273e3067.jpg

Setup and took a light skim on the bottom of the sleeve (about .002") to assure that it seats parallel when I turn it around to shave the deck.
2111e2cdbde24f4128d1310ab41bd24e.jpg

Flipped around and checked it with a dial indicator. Within a thou ask around. Btw this is just an extra r5 barrel I have to setup.
1cfe237899828b6cb03acc90a638a09f.jpg

7ddb76387d2b41ff8175cb62d84f5d9e.jpg

Looks like the right thing! You might be money ahead to face off the base gasket surface while your at it. Obviously you'll have to machine the squish and chambers for the new deck height so there is no downside. If you match up the transfers there is pretty spare sealing surface and knowing the base is true is cheap insurance. Of course the case needs to be flat as well, but while you're there on the cylinders. . .

jpmobius said:
Looks like the right thing! You might be money ahead to face off the base gasket surface while your at it. Obviously you'll have to machine the squish and chambers for the new deck height so there is no downside. If you match up the transfers there is pretty spare sealing surface and knowing the base is true is cheap insurance. Of course the case needs to be flat as well, but while you're there on the cylinders. . .

Thanks! I was planning on doing that actually. should be able to get away with only taking a few thou, which is a low price to pay for a nice gasket surface. ill have to see what shape the cases are in, but im pretty sure im the first one to have this motor apart(or at least the barrels are at stock bore), so hopefully not to bad

Finally got one barrel off the bike and on the lathe. Have another set of jugs and heads, so this was a "practice", but will be nice to have a second top end around.

Skimmed about .002" off the bottom of the skirt to true it for the other end operation, as well as .002" off for a gasket surface clean up.

Before
b4eb2c5aee6ba55167320499a2e8566d.jpg

After
e102e591b9c3b19118d32c695861d288.jpg

Flipped and indicated. Turned off the gasket step and took about .002" off the gasket surface to clean it up as well

Before
9427cbb087260e99246abef084da0e7b.jpg

After
363c1229111e0372d2a9c4d7bb8dea47.jpg

Ground a hss bit for the o ring groove
c8003e9974627a2ef446c1a5fd59373d.jpg

Cut the groove in to tz350 o ring groove dimensions (thanks teazer!!)
d055c711ddfa06fbea9e349fecbc4644.jpg

Now just a few more to go.
757a19fd4dc1f9a30ccf1f5761110da3.jpg

Looks really good! I wish I had a junk cylinder to experiment on. I'd like to try to o-ring a set on my mill.

Looks great! Alignment of the heads on the cylinders is very sloppy on RD's so on the 350 cylinders it is good to leave a step and cut a mating step into the heads when you do the work on them. That way the head will be perfectly centered on the cylinder and you can set the squish very accurately. Of course you can achieve the same thing with dowels or pins, but it is then more difficult to have interchangeable heads. Spark plug location can be a bit off also so it is a good idea to face off the top of the hole assuming your going to make a fixture to turn the heads as well.

Sav0r said:
Looks really good! I wish I had a junk cylinder to experiment on. I'd like to try to o-ring a set on my mill.
Thanks! Wouldn't call it a junk set, just a slightly sweaty extra. Still usable, just extra
jpmobius said:
Looks great! Alignment of the heads on the cylinders is very sloppy on RD's so on the 350 cylinders it is good to leave a step and cut a mating step into the heads when you do the work on them. That way the head will be perfectly centered on the cylinder and you can set the squish very accurately. Of course you can achieve the same thing with dowels or pins, but it is then more difficult to have interchangeable heads. Spark plug location can be a bit off also so it is a good idea to face off the top of the hole assuming your going to make a fixture to turn the heads as well.
Thanks jp! Made an arbor for my heads, shown a few pages back. Still have to true up the spark plug holes when I get a chance at the shop. No mill at my house.. Yet lol planning to run dowel pins at this point. I prefer (in my head at least) having the mating surfaces of the head and barrel perfectly flat. If I need another set of heads on this set of barrels, I could hear drill a new set of pin holes right?

Back
Top Bottom