XS650 Cafe - Build #4

Wow, that's seriously good so far, but only the manliest of men is man enough to ride that king and queen seat that came on the bike.

You gotta keep that!

-Sherm

Bigsherm said:
Wow, that's seriously good so far, but only the manliest of men is man enough to ride that king and queen seat that came on the bike.

You gotta keep that!

-Sherm

Thanks! Unfortunately, I don't know if I have what it takes to properly rock that seat. Therefore I will officially announce that it is FREE to anyone who wants to come and get it. Better move fast!

Another small update, the holidays really slowed things down for a bit. But, I've been making some progress.
The neck cones are done, and the frame jig is almost ready to rock. I just need to install the leveling bolts and clamps for the down tubes.

I got the frame de-tabbed, degreased and prepped for welding.

Got my rear shock.

And I'm just waiting in some back ordered dies...

The frame is secured in the jig. Everything level, square and the neck set at the stock 27 degrees.

Really enjoying this. You have so little left of the original frame, hope you have an "empty" motor to line up the bits you have left, the fully built one will be quite the pain to shift in and out while you complete it! Beautiful work and a nice elegant jig. Looking forward to future installments. I hope you will elaborate on how you plan to determine the elevations of the swingarm pivot and the two axles. No doubt tuning the springs will be the end of the process, but you must have a percentage suspension sag target in mind so I am hoping you will explain your process for setting this up.

jpmobius said:
Really enjoying this. You have so little left of the original frame, hope you have an "empty" motor to line up the bits you have left, the fully built one will be quite the pain to shift in and out while you complete it! Beautiful work and a nice elegant jig. Looking forward to future installments. I hope you will elaborate on how you plan to determine the elevations of the swingarm pivot and the two axles. No doubt tuning the springs will be the end of the process, but you must have a percentage suspension sag target in mind so I am hoping you will explain your process for setting this up.

Thanks!
The frame has been chopped quite a bit, but all of the motor mounts are still in their original location which will make things a bit easier. The motor is still complete (and heavy!), but I'm leaving it like that for now. While I plan on digging into the motor later on, I want it complete for mock up. I could gut it, but it has only done 9k miles and I question wether it's worth splitting the cases. I may only do the top end on this engine...I actually designed the frame jig with the heavy motor in mind. Most jigs place the main rails close together, sandwiching the uprights. I spaced mine out to make it more stable, and to leave room for some extra supports under the engine if need be.
As far as the swingarm pivot, axels, sag etc... I'll keep everyone posted as I go on. I have 50+ notebook pages of idea sketches and design notes. I think I've come up with a simple and functional design, just too much to try and describe right now.

This is very nice work, you attention to detail is quite rare, you and I could work well together because I too work in this manner. I will be following along with interest. I once bought an XS650 for a project but sold it just because of the weight of the thing, as I recall the engine alone is around 150lb? Anyway I look forward to seeing more progress.

johnu said:
This is very nice work, you attention to detail is quite rare, you and I could work well together because I too work in this manner. I will be following along with interest. I once bought an XS650 for a project but sold it just because of the weight of the thing, as I recall the engine alone is around 150lb? Anyway I look forward to seeing more progress.

Thank you!

It has been very, very cold in the workshop lately, but I got to work on some geometry today. Here is a drawing with the gsxr forks (720mm, 30mm triple offset), 18" wheels, swingarm pivot in new planned location ( very close to stock), and stock 27 degree neck rake. This seems to give me a good base swingarm angle, and trail numbers. Once the bike is assembled I have room for adjustment.

I am reconsidering the monoshock however. Dual shocks with multiple swingarm mounting holes (like would be found on flattrack bikes) is probably the better option for performance and adjustability...

NCO-
Don't let your plans go!
If you really want a monoshock, don't give up on that!
You obviously have the abilities, brains, and facilities to get it done right.
It would be sweet with dual shocks, but it'd be a shame for you to wish you'd done differently after you're done.

-Sherm

Bigsherm said:
NCO-
Don't let your plans go!
If you really want a monoshock, don't give up on that!
You obviously have the abilities, brains, and facilities to get it done right.
It would be sweet with dual shocks, but it'd be a shame for you to wish you'd done differently after you're done.

-Sherm

Thanks for the encouragement! I haven't completely given up yet, but I want this bike to be built around function. I'll have to do a bit more thinking. The monoshock would definitely look sweet, but it may be more aesthetically pleasing than functional.

ncologerojr said:
It has been very, very cold in the workshop lately, but I got to work on some geometry today. Here is a drawing with the gsxr forks (720mm, 30mm triple offset), 18" wheels, swingarm pivot in new planned location ( very close to stock), and stock 27 degree neck rake. This seems to give me a good base swingarm angle, and trail numbers. Once the bike is assembled I have room for adjustment.

It is really simple to make monoshock ride height adjustable with some kind of turnbuckle arrangement depending on your setup. Also don't forget to get your countershaft sprocket centerline in your drawing as you will probably want to get your swingarm pivot as close to the sprocket as possible and also on the the same horizontal axis if possible. Keep at it !

johnu said:
It is really simple to make monoshock ride height adjustable with some kind of turnbuckle arrangement depending on your setup. Also don't forget to get your countershaft sprocket centerline in your drawing as you will probably want to get your swingarm pivot as close to the sprocket as possible and also on the the same horizontal axis if possible. Keep at it !

Thanks for the advise. I actually have the countershaft centerline in that drawing, but that layer is hidden in that screenshot.
My monoshock adjustability issue is not with creating an actual adjustment mechanism, but with fitting the shock in the small area while still maintaining room for swingarm adjustment. Most affordable monoshocks seem to be around 12.5-13.5" in length, which is a tight squeeze between the backbone and rear tire while still allowing room to decrease swingarm angle. Obviously increasing swingarm angle would not be an issue.
BUT, I did some more thinking last night and I think I've got it figured out. Now I just need to take some measurements in person. I never completely trust my technical drawings lol!

Now that I finally have a solid design I started work on the frame. This is just a start, the backbone will be getting some attention as well.

I bent up matching tubes, and slowly hand cut the notches for a tight fit. You can also see the frame slugs in the first picture.

Mostly welded. I'll have a lot of finish welding once the frame is out of the jig.

Taking shape.

Back
Top Bottom