First Build; '75 CB360 (yes ANOTHER 360 build)

MHDesign

Been Around the Block
Alright, here goes:

I'm a newbie when it comes to bikes, but when I do something, I usually dive right in (and sometimes find I'm in over my head!) I picked this bike up a month ago. It's a '75 CB360, which was in running order when I purchased it (I rode it home 40 miles):

My plan is to go through the whole bike and do a cafe build, a la my rendering below:

I'm an Industrial Designer, so I'll plan to put that skill set to good use, using CAD and my fabrication resources to build misc. brackets, the seat and seat pan, etc. So, the build will be DIY, but some of the one-off stuff will be outsourced to a fab shop that can laser cut, machine, etc. I'll plan to also rely on you good folks for information and the knowledge that I lack :)

Here's the bike as it stands now:

My game plan is to get everything mocked up how I want it so that I can identify clearance issues, where the battery goes, mounting for the seat, etc., before final tear-down.

So far I've removed the wiring harness, and (almost) everything but the essentials, started cutting off unwanted tabs, mounted a new rear fender (still need to cut the back end off), installed rearsets, got a CB200 tank off of ebay, and have begun the design of the seat / seat pan. I'm still awaiting backordered clubman bars from DCC, but they should arrive this week. In the mean time I'm still working out what I plan to run for a battery (lithium?), signals (LED?), and everything else related to the electrical system, so I can plan for these items.

Ultimately, the bike will get torn down completely and every surface will be refurbished, all wear items replaced, etc., but for now I'm still playing "mock-up" in motorcycle "what-if?" land.

More to come soon...

jungalist said:
almost a waste, the bike looked very clean to start with!

Everything looks better in pictures. The red "paint job" was done very poorly by the PO with a rattle can and not enough masking tape, the controls were hacked up so that when the aftermarket bars were added, the PO wouldn't have to run wiring inside, he hacked way too much metal off of the front fender, used residential wirenuts for a number of "repars" to the electrical, cut the seat foam in half (poorly) to lower the profile of the seat, and did a number of other "modifications" using bubble-gum and paper clips.

I bought the bike because underneath, it was a solid, running bike with no known mechanical issues, but was very "tired" and needed a lot of TLC, but thanks for the encouragement. :D

chewie said:
I'm so jealous of that garage.... :-X

Oh, you mean my "living room"?;) I've spent a lot of effort getting it to this point, but it's where I spend all of my time...

Well, unfortunately I don't have a lot of progress to report, given the holiday, life, etc., but I want to keep this infant build-thread alive...

Recent "progress":

I struggled with how best to mount a CB200 tank to a 360 and came up with a solution. I used the factory forward-battery-mount for the rear of the tank via a combination of a 4", 3/8" bolt, cut to the proper length and some steel spacers, stainless washers, and rubber washers to dampen things. This required drilling out the factory weld-nut where the battery would normally mount. The rubber mounts up front are rubber "plugs" drilled and cut to the proper size.

The end result is a really solid mounting system. The only down side of using factory mounting points is that the tank sits farther back than I envisioned:

b7409e74e2dec1d08de0991f29f67893.jpg

1afb7d3797c011a5809ee98bcbcc3668.jpg

I could have moved the tank forward a bit, but the CB200 petcock interferes with the motor otherwise. I think I'm ok with this, given that the frame and tank will both be gloss black, helping to disguise the "set-back look" to a degree.

I also got my clubman bars from DCC and have begun refurbishing all of the controls while I finalize the seat design.

bdf0cd7fb65b734f1096f48ef2bc01a8.jpg

While actually doing some building, I've also selected a battery:

Ballistic EVO2 Lithium Ion 8-Cell. I know this will present challenges with my factory charging system, but I am prepared to make the necessary upgrades via Sonrair / spark moto, along with a new harness.

Also a few more photos, just because we all like build photos, visible progress or not:

eb5b199c121b07db855d3bebfc389a79.jpg
359e9899a146a05a6221703a38081dc4.jpg

fc67489945455bd9bd33f45e3704db75.jpg

More to come...

The last major thing I have to resolve is the seat itself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am using an antigravity 4ah battery on my CL350. It's thinner than the frame sides so it fits between them well. Kick-only and I have an off-switch for the headlight. Everything LED except the 35w headlight. Maintains 13v at idle with a modern integrated regulator/rectifier.

I agree that the tank is too far back. The stock tank was just held in by a rubber mount. i bet you can fab up something to move the mount forward. One positive result of moving the tank forward may be that if the tank is forward enough, you'll be able to sync the carbs without taking the tank off the bike.

Redliner said:
I am using an antigravity 4ah battery on my CL350. It's thinner than the frame sides so it fits between them well. Kick-only and I have an off-switch for the headlight. Everything LED except the 35w headlight. Maintains 13v at idle with a modern integrated regulator/rectifier.

I chose the ballistic EVO2 8cell, because I wanted something smaller so I can mount velocity stacks (or maybe pods) with lots of clearance and a minimal look, but plan to maintain electric start. I dwelled on battery selection for a long time, but I think I've made the right choice for my application.

Anyone have experience with this battery on a 360 with electric start?

deviant said:
I agree that the tank is too far back. The stock tank was just held in by a rubber mount. i bet you can fab up something to move the mount forward. One positive result of moving the tank forward may be that if the tank is forward enough, you'll be able to sync the carbs without taking the tank off the bike.

I've seen another 360 online with this tank, and the builder described welding a new rod through the frame farther forward for the front mounting points, which seems simple, but this results in interference between the cb200 petcock and the top of the motor.

Other clearance issues are the coils, which I plan to relocate a bit lower to clear the tunnel, but the petcock is really the issue that prevents moving the tank forward (unless I move the petcock, which I don't have the ability to do myself). I've thought a lot about this and have ultimately decided that if I want to run the 200 tank, my current solution is the best solution for my build.

I think I can live with it. Anyone else think this is just too ugly to pursue? (Note: I'll probably go this route either way...)

A little progress this morning... I cut my rear fender to length and got it mocked up. (Ignore the dog toy supporting the back. The seat pan will serve as a mounting point for the back end.)
d1ab4bd74c7c6f4e212685058a92bb35.jpg
116f8431bb3685636d3a34d710ee3d3b.jpg
89dd86042417d51d8f6621ecb811e893.jpg

The aluminum bracket is temporary and will be replaced with a nicer stainless bracket.

OFF TOPIC: Quick question for anyone who might know - There are about 10 posts missing from this thread since last logging in. Am I missing something? I came back to review some battery info from Sonreir...and it's gone(?)

any ideas how this happened?

Sonreir said:
Forums crashed and had to be restored from a backup. We lost a few days of data.

Ah got it - sorry if that's been covered a million times.

I did get my battery in the mail and think I'll swap it for the EarthX. Can you remind me of pricing / model#?

Thanks

ETX12A will set you back $169. Email me at sales@sparckmoto.com and I'll get one shipped out to you.

Back
Top Bottom