First Build; '75 CB360 (yes ANOTHER 360 build)

I've tried applying as much force as I can give the rod (with some thought toward not breaking anything) I can't imagine that anything is frozen clutch-wise given that I rode the bike (mechanically sound) 40+ miles before the build.

My next question- the rod, at one point, walked out of position (out of the case, toward the drive side of the motor). If the rod is removed from its point in the trans, can it be reinserted? Does this take it out of its relationship to the rest of the trans?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

...its sitting loose in the shaft that it's supposed to sit in with no resistance. I'm just afraid to remove it for fear of not being able to line it back up if that makes sense.

How long has it been sitting? If you did ride it recently it's probably not that. The way the rod works is that it crosses over and rests in a holder on the clutch hub. When you pull the clutch lever, the worm gear presses the shaft in, which pushes the hub out. You should be able to remove and re-insert the shaft from the left side without issues. If it isn't in the holder on the clutch side, it would stick pretty far out and you'd be able to tell. If you're trying to compress the rod by hand or anything like that, it won't work. You're working against the four clutch springs which are pretty stout.
When you say it's sitting loose, is it loose with side-to-side slop or loose sliding in and out?

Pushing on the rod won't do a thing, you have to have the cover bolted on and the operating mechanism adjusted
Did I ever PM you about the speedo trip re-set knob?

CALfeRacer said:
How long has it been sitting? If you did ride it recently it's probably not that. The way the rod works is that it crosses over and rests in a holder on the clutch hub. When you pull the clutch lever, the worm gear presses the shaft in, which pushes the hub out. You should be able to remove and re-insert the shaft from the left side without issues. If it isn't in the holder on the clutch side, it would stick pretty far out and you'd be able to tell. If you're trying to compress the rod by hand or anything like that, it won't work. You're working against the four clutch springs which are pretty stout.
When you say it's sitting loose, is it loose with side-to-side slop or loose sliding in and out?

Finally back in the garage after the holiday and getting over being sick...

I understand now what you're saying. It's loose in/out, which is normal. I took the assembly back apart and checked everything then actually spent time understanding every part and its function from rod to clutch lever. I've been playing with adjustments and understand how one thing affects another. I was worried about non-issues apparently; just didn't realize how much the turn of a screw can affect clutch-feel. I have a hard-clutch now, but everything moves as it should. Just needs more finesse.

Thanks for your input.

crazypj said:
Pushing on the rod won't do a thing, you have to have the cover bolted on and the operating mechanism adjusted
Did I ever PM you about the speedo trip re-set knob?

Yep - I finally see that! Thanks!

You did - I think I'm going to "upgrade" to an all-in-one gauge for simplicity though. I mostly refurbished my stock gauges, but have decided that I want a cleaner look. I may want some other turned brass parts in the near future though...

JustinLonghorn said:
I approve of your Pembroke shop supervisor.

7a0b7ff81002f7b0fef9139b1221210a.jpg

Yep; still supervising.

I just re-read the thread again to pick up anything I may have missed over the past few months and continue to learn new things. Thanks for any and all input as always.

854adadcc4fc0563d2a319448342e11f.jpg

6c66924ad40484bd3fc950f829b96fab.jpg

4bd143c3cb4aa6b3a19515d382feecb0.jpg

Quick update- I got my tank back in the mail today from my body shop friend in MI. I still need to have the tank resealed before paint, but the bulk of the metal work is done.

The relocated / modified items for the CB200 tank came out nice. (Changed the petcock bung to stock 360 and moved it back to clear the motor, replaced the factory fuel cap with a Harley style flush mount unit...)

I also modified the forward mounts to work with the smaller tank. Progress!

I have been following this build, and you are making awesome progress! (I also really enjoy your automotive selection too :) ) I was curious on what rendering software you had used for your plans on the first page. It looks a heck of a lot better than my scribbles on white paper haha. Good luck! and thanks.

It's been a looong time, but I'm going to once again resurrect this build thread to document the home-stretch. More to come... (Really, for real this time - I plan to finish and document this damn project)

9d6b852fb55c47bde378acd39b5b7bf9.jpg

One more of the tail light housing (now in steel) for good measure.

d7edb3de1b4b858ac03f728a1b3e4dc6.jpg

I'm nearing the finish line on completing all of the brackets...as I've done on most other one-off parts, I started with cardboard, then moved on to CAD for something more accurate (I'm also very lucky to know someone with a laser cutter who does stainless fab).

8c8809ed9cd4790a583e94791ad8c50b.jpg

3a247986b996937fa6341b699131204d.jpg

cd96cd21b2302d7b66b2dfaa8375c8cb.jpg

Back with another sporadic post for now. I'm nearly ready for powder on the frame.

f8e954331484c8f667bacba3d9191568.jpg

Also starting to plan for upholstery...

ShadowPlay said:
amazing build! so much attention to detail. great work man

Thanks! I just took some time to re-read my (admittedly very old) build thread from the start and can't believe how much I've learned from everyone on DTT. Can't wait for reassembly. I'll continue to share progress now that progress is being made...

ca9911b773d648344b4dbb2fc9c0df95.jpg
3312aea3bdda2fdddbcc18ec58c4e3e4.jpg

More photos of seat development for now.

Next steps: get upholstery done, tear down the assembly in the photos, then powder the frame and resume building...

Back
Top Bottom