First Build; '75 CB360 (yes ANOTHER 360 build)

They're pressed in, and they will likely be a bitch to get out. Just make sure you protect the aluminum and pry those fuckers out.

deviant said:
They're pressed in, and they will likely be a bitch to get out. Just make sure you protect the aluminum and pry those fuckers out.
aa85648f722702d10357009703c0b30e.jpg

...got it. Used moderate force while protecting the aluminum. I'll plan to replace the seals. Thanks for the quick tip! I was just very hesitant to throw a pry bar into the mix.

I also didn't realize that the seal has a steel core for resistance sealing "power". Makes sense. Reassembly will be fun!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

deviant said:
i did pry those "fuckers" outs
b166c772559882e546f9951169f5c482.jpg

Redliner said:
Don't throw them away. They work well as padding when you're pressing in the new ones!

Got it. Second one out just now. More force required, but no damage to the aluminum...
7e628254893e5fb3a6be64f1292745bf.jpg

Thanks!

Pour boiling water over the fork lower, it will expand and make life mush easier

I've read that this trick works as well (a variation that described wrapping the fork in a hot, wet towel) but went the "apply lots of force" method, per deviant's instructions. It actually wasn't too bad once I decided I wasn't worried about damaging the seals themselves. (Will replace upon reassembly). As you can see from the photos, I also didn't have to use a very aggressive pry-bar...

I'd be curious to try the other method on a future build or fork service.

I tend to go with the brute force method over all methods. The work harder not smarter is often my MO. ;) But seriously, I've tried the other way and it doesn't always work out. The set on my XL's forks actually bonded to the lowers. No amount of boiling water was able to get them to release. The right pry tool made pretty easy work of it.

a adjustable seal puller will also make the task easier. Good tool to have a round the shop.

I rarely use hot water if I have any gas in propane torch ;)
When fork leg is hot, seal almost falls out, no brute force needed.
I have seen a couple of forks destroyed when done 'cold' and screwdrivers were used instead of pry bar. Only needs a little bit of corrosion and section can break off

crazypj said:
I rarely use hot water if I have any gas in propane torch ;)
When fork leg is hot, seal almost falls out, no brute force needed.
I have seen a couple of forks destroyed when done 'cold' and screwdrivers were used instead of pry bar. Only needs a little bit of corrosion and section can break off
Aaaah. Oh well. I tend to be stupid until something breaks. Then I don't do it again. :p

DIY CB360 bearing retainer tool: I'm sure this has been covered, and I've seen some DIY bearing retainer tools on DTT already, but most utilized only two bolts through thin sheet steel, so I thought I'd share: it's very effective. Running bolts through the center so that the tool stays balanced if you let go of it also helped. It also allowed me to apply downward pressure to the retainer with my foot while smacking it with a hammer.

...and yes, I'm totally working in my slippers in the garage...its effing COLD in Milwaukee even with a heated garage!

234de7f84288df2b984f1ead5b0040b5.jpg

3271fe72f527bfe5e81da1955c566536.jpg
a0e669b98f6a6504729252a59426f07b.jpg

...note that I chewed up the retainer by not using my head and trying to remove it via other (dumb) methods. Not bad, but worth mentioning. I also realized after I started yesterday that I should have drilled the spots that were "punched" at the factory, but had already moved it when I made the tool, so I just decided to keep going.

Those mothers are such a pain, just gave the rear hub on my cb750 the same treatment. I went with a different sort of homemade tool though:

410683665.jpg

That doesn't look homemade at all. You clearly have a shop that is better outfitted than mine

A little off topic. I went w same approach to remove oil cup retaining nut.

spanner1316.jpg

trek97 said:
A little off topic. I went w same approach to remove oil cup retaining nut.

spanner1316.jpg

Nice! I do a lot of "shop visits" to do research for work (I'm a designer for a tool company) and always enjoy seeing modified tools that accomplish a specific task. (This usually spells opportunity for us)

MHDesign said:
That doesn't look homemade at all. You clearly have a shop that is better outfitted than mine

haha, thanks! It was just a bench grinder to do the mass removal, then a hacksaw and files to find tune it. Nothing special, just took some time :)

And there are plenty of companies that make them, but not for as cheap as you can buy a big socket for. If you can sell em for 10-20 bucks a piece, I think you'd do some good business!

Back
Top Bottom