IMG_6043.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 338
  • IMG_6047.JPG
    IMG_6047.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 334
  • IMG_6049.JPG
    IMG_6049.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 333
So I will hope to get back to the shop Friday night, machine these down to take the bolt, cut them down to size and correct the end float and hopefuly on the weekend, start on the cage to hold it together, then back to the frame we go

This is bloody epic - will catch up on this build after the Alabama weekend coming up.

It looks like you have the skills, tools, smarts, and will power to do this right. Why in the world would you butt weld a bunch of piecemeal frame tubes together? Butt welds are extremely weak.

Sav0r said:
It looks like you have the skills, tools, smarts, and will power to do this right. Why in the world would you butt weld a bunch of piecemeal frame tubes together? Butt welds are extremely weak.

It's a mockup frame.

Subscribed :)

Sav0r said:
totally agree, butt welds are weak and show you have made a mistake. this is just 1" tube and bends I had at home to get things in place to start. as you can see, I am not that good to get the frame nailed in the first attempt so didn't want to waste money on chromoly pipe a this stage. once I have everything worked out and a roughly measured I will redo the frame again in the size material I will end up using and make a jig to suit, buy me a nice JD2 pipe bender and bend me some chromoly pipe.

Loving your work there cuz. You're the extreme kiwi garage builder with great skills and sweet gear. I'm guessing as a dentist by now you probably only work 2 or 3 days a week now - perfect! I'm assuming you scoff at your dentist mates who waste their days chasing around a small white ball! I'm enjoying the journey with you pal. Last year I cafed a KZ305 in my garage with 8 spanners an angle grinder and a hammer. This year I've brought a Z750E back from the dead now going through the process of getting her legal. No records of her at NZTA. That bike is gonna be awesome!

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk

kiwiguy said:
Sorry mate, Air Jig???

Hangin the frame from a hoist "air jig" bet that didn't move around much :eek: I see now you are testing us as much as we you... carry on 8)

Rustyhama said:
Loving your work there cuz. You're the extreme kiwi garage builder with great skills and sweet gear. I'm guessing as a dentist by now you probably only work 2 or 3 days a week now - perfect! I'm assuming you scoff at your dentist mates who waste their days chasing around a small white ball! I'm enjoying the journey with you pal. Last year I cafed a KZ305 in my garage with 8 spanners an angle grinder and a hammer. This year I've brought a Z750E back from the dead now going through the process of getting her legal. No records of her at NZTA. That bike is gonna be awesome!

Chur bro, thanks. Only jokin about the dentist! you get much riding down there in the deep cold south??
Last year I cafed a KZ305 in my garage with 8 spanners an angle grinder and a
hammer

ha, love it!! beat it until it fits, then tie it together with some old no8 fencing wire!

Tune-A-Fish said:
Hangin the frame from a hoist "air jig" bet that didn't move around much :eek: I see now you are testing us as much as we you... carry on 8)
Ah!! got ya. a bit of movement, but that's why you have kids isn't it? hold things when you need another pair of hands!!

I ride to work almost every day. Frosts are the only thing that keeps me off it. And I do a bit of trail riding on my KDX 200. Love the green bikes!

Here's my build thread. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

Rustyhama said:
Here's my build thread. http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=59260.0

nice ride!! love the detail, even the 'K' stitched into the back of the seat, very clean!

Rustyhama said:
I ride to work almost every day. Frosts are the only thing that keeps me off it. And I do a bit of trail riding on my KDX 200. Love the green bikes!

I would end up riding home past the Speights brewery every day!! ;)

kiwiguy said:
Ah!! got ya. a bit of movement, but that's why you have kids isn't it? hold things when you need another pair of hands!!

I like the Harley power, Have you given any thought to the Buell XB12 motor? the way it hangs, the compact 5-speed, constant mesh transmission and the intake manifolds seem right for this project. Just a thought... It's a beauty too :p

2008-buell-lightning-xb12-24_600x0w.jpg

Back
Top Bottom