73 CL125s: Billiwhacker

I wonder if that front rack would mount over the top of the front fender somehow similar to a bicycle? I like the idea :)

maxDTM said:
I'll keep my eye out on the local Craigslist for ya.

Thanks!

I saw that weird front rack on eBay, too. I couldn't figure out how it mounted, either, but I was pretty sure it somehow went over the headlight. Finally, I found these on Google Images:

JYnWbRw.jpg

tiBJorp.jpg

What do you think goes on there? It's gotta be something slim, like a clipboard with a map or delivery addresses or motivational quotes in Tagalog.

maxDTM said:
.. someone should buy it!

I'd buy it for sure, if the scrambler wasn't such a hardcore offroad machine- it looks like it rattles like crazy (it might not clear the crossbar, either). Also, I memorized all my motivational quotes.

I'd like to see a front rack that would hold a pr. of front saddle bags similar to a touring bicycle.
I'm going to design a pr. of rear carriers to build onto my rear rack on my CB125 that will mount a pr. of Krauser plastic hardbags from a 70-80's BMW 'R' bike.They do latch on and remove real easy :D

iatethepeach said:
What do you think goes on there?

A snake charming basket? An iPad? Babies? I'm not sure what I'd put on there haha.

grcamna5 said:
I'd like to see a front rack that would hold a pr. of front saddle bags similar to a touring bicycle.
I'm going to design a pr. of rear carriers to build onto my rear rack on my CB125 that will mount a pr. of Krauser plastic hardbags from a 70-80's BMW 'R' bike.They do latch on and remove real easy :D

That sounds cool. Even more room for baby storage

vtrjvgq.png

Been a minute since I've updated, and not much else to report since then... My dad moved, and thus my workshop disappeared. Billi's been in my mom's garage along with a bunch of other crap I'm storing, and I recently started working full time so my time has been dedicated to that. Hate to put the project on pause, but soon I'll be moving into my own place and I'll actually have some cash to throw at the build. Who knew that a summer-project could turn into such a never-ending purgatory? ::)

Official bike hauler:
NEm0Bkm.jpg

Current state of affairs:
eUE0ZBj.jpg

Today I took my CB out for the first time in like a month. Felt really great to be out. Cruised down The Snake and stopped at The Rock Store for a coke.
WYAZLnz.jpg

Hope to post some more updates soon. First thing's first- gotta find a place to live.

Thanks Trek, but I hope you aren't confusing my CB with my CL! The scrambler has a ways to go still :p I don't know why I like these little 125's so much...
Oh wait, it's because they're fucking awesome!

Reviving this for a quick update. Not much has happened with the bike in the last few months — took up a full time job and I'm living in an LA apartment with a shared garage, so not a lot of time or space for motorcycle building. I finally have money to throw at this build, but no time to get anything done ::) go figure.

Maybe this will serve as motivation to get some progress done. I still need fork tubes, rear springs, a speedo, a seat, tail light, headlight bucket, and maybe a new carb, but it's not that far off compared to when I found it!

I was actually separated from both of my 125's for a while but recently brought em to my apartment. Also started messing around with film photography, so here ya go:

6ps5I79.jpg

xAjtm3h.jpg

Qzrm9cT.jpg

And just because, here's me on my CB. Think this was the same day as the last pic I posted!

dDkUBPd.jpg

Hey maxDTM, welcome back. I saw a 70ish CB Speedo on eBay yesterday that looked pretty good- http://ebay.com/itm/1972-Honda-CB100-Speedometer-/131792604115 . And those pix are great! Maybe 4 into 1 would give you a break on your next order if you let them use them on their site.

Cool photos ^^ I've always loved the warmth and glow of film. Thats a nice looking CB too, pretty sweet stocker. I'd like to haul my bikes around in the back of a VW bus, can barely fit 2 people in the bug ;D

I saw mention of you needing a speedo, not sure about the fitment but I have the original speedo from my 360 thats driven at the wheel, and the original cable to go with it.

Thanks guys! I actually might try to snag that ebay speedo. It's only a year off, I'd bet it's compatible.

Thanks for the link, iatethepeach. Also that reminds me, I think I have like $13 in credit at 4into1. I miss riding by that shop!

Also nice Honda, Adventurco. I'll check out your build thread at work this week!

Hello again 8)

I ended up ordering that speedometer. Thanks Peach for the heads up on that! I have not installed it yet :'(

But the good news is I'm gonna start messing with the bike again. My buddies and I just ordered a few things for it, including new rear shocks, clutch plates, a roundie taillight that I need to swap to 6v, various other odds and ends... I think we're gonna get a Mikuni VM22 since I can never get the stock Keihin carb to function right, and a new or good used wiring loom because the one on Billi is all kinds of crusty and filled with mud. Still need fork tubes, ugh.

Also, seat seat seat... Can anyone shed some light on CB125 seat compatibility between years? There's a decent looking one from an 81 for sale, but I haven't found info on whether it will fit.

Hope to write more soon ;D

gXvbCVJ.jpg

Good to see you're back at it Max. :)
I have an 81' CB125S and the seat base is the same for it as the 1980'
but the early CB125S models(not sure about the CL's..) are more like the CB100's so only the first generation seats(73-75')will work on your CL125.

Thanks, good to know the late model seats are different. The CB and CL will use the same seats; I think they're pretty much identical except for the scrambler pipe and gear ratio.

I found a guy on the Yahoo group (which is pretty uninhabited nowadays) with a 75 seat that I'm gonna try to cop.

Thanks, I love the way these old machines look on film.

zDEfZD0.jpg

PS anyone know if the [instagram] code still works? Having trouble embedding posts.

Back
Top Bottom