'81 Suzuki GS 450 - Cafe/ Custom

BiellaBound

Hey guys,
Started a thread while back and wasn't able to start working on her until this last month.

I have pics of when I got her and where I am at now with progress pics in between.

3ab22b8a3b1c591cb60c8b1b2a5a0e45.jpg

And now
1653b831151c7933237a10b2a118d634.jpg

Last nights side cover work,
Before
c90d08319d5ff799b0f021af3d3b5f6d.jpg

After
56aa773fab269d544c5e5d18e6b19b39.jpg

Weekend plans Paint the Engine, polish engine side covers and change bolts to polished stainless Allen Keys, paint brake lever black (with engine enamel and cure in oven, paint drag pipes (from PO) matte black with engine enamel and use bike heat to cure, remove idiot lights and change to some .3" diameter indicators for Turn Left/right, Neutral, Oil, And High Beam "still thinking of placement", and fill holes from 450 emblem on side covers and paint Matte Navy or Black.
Something like this
828f65993a6892515b301c0c47eb103d.jpg
, of course that bike is pristine and mine is a daily commuter.

Future plans, Matte Black/ raw steel/ or chrome (can't decide) reverse come mufflers, remove 2" of foam from seat and reupholster with Brown "leather" vinyl, that had some contrast horizontal stitch lines (I am a tailor with a good sewing machine), raise rear shocks 1-2", relocate ignition to side and move electric under seat, and possibly change air box for pods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good job so far! I like your approach to modification. Slow and steady wins the race. So many people these days get a bike and immediately tear it apart, leaving no way for them to know what they liked or disliked about the bike. Enjoy the riding season!

DohcBikes said:
Good job so far! I like your approach to modification. Slow and steady wins the race. So many people these days get a bike and immediately tear it apart, leaving no way for them to know what they liked or disliked about the bike. Enjoy the riding season!
for sure it's my first bike so I really want to get about 500 miles on it before I changed anything

I got some goodies in the mail yesterday,
Picked up some super small indicator lights from drag specialties.
8a1956c5690d684d20fceee2dc30422d.jpg
46b872365c74759ea6c77f812923b855.jpg
c04c82081f9a0d178a98ebd4daa96680.jpg

My only concern is that they're both two solid black wires and I'm not sure how to connect does I probably have to disassemble the idiot light housing and see what's going on in there,
7a90c238f871f43774495a1cced4ab94.jpg

And then figure out how to mount them, part of me, since they're so small ones to drill them into the headlight bucket then there's a part of me that says that they are so small just double-sided tape behind the center of my handlebars

]No need to disassemble. The indicator lights are grounded by the switch that runs them, and powered by key on voltage. One wire will connect to the power and one will connect to the switch wire, neutral, oil etc. It does not matter which of the black wires go where.

I too have a 81 GS450T. Its Dohcbikes favorite bike on this whole site. Heres a few pics. And no i dont plan on riding on the board. It will get covered.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 333
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 329
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 328
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 325
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 308
Time to start sanding
30f1e918d3eb6dee88735f78a8655aee.jpg
, first I have to get my utility knife and pry that emblem off.

And man I need to get some new header wrap, black for sure this time and I guess the the silicon sealer? What do you guys think? It's a pain wrapping them because of the cross bar underneath
9b2cdcab250e0f25dc124a97e5bf407d.jpg

If I have time I will also fill this holes and maybe start sanding, I want to remove the chrome piece I tried to pry it but I just can't get it off, thinly of just painting the whole thing matte black and no contrast
bc1bd6b8fd644ccdfc7551e89000d4ec.jpg
ok time to sand

Minicafe said:
I too have a 81 GS450T. Its Dohcbikes favorite bike on this whole site. Heres a few pics. And no i dont plan on riding on the board. It will get covered.
great detail I may have to Pm you or follow that build for the electric, that's right on point, nice ride bro

Your pipes didn't look to be in bad shape before you wrapped them. If you build your bike like minicafe is building his, your rear tire is going to rub. The bright side being that you can store canned goods in the pantry.

Hardware store all out of black zip ties?

I'd just slowly back the fuck up if I were you minicafe. I can understand being a novice builder, I really can. I'm not a pro bike builder, I build and tune engines. I have made many of the same basic mistakes I complain about here. I just happen to know that being subtle with build advice does not get people to change things as effectively as showing them their own ass. What pisses me off is when people that get free info (that is spot on BTW) act the way you do, then build stuff like that. I won't waste my time critiquing a bike that is worth less than the valvetrain on one of my bikes, but that is only because I don't want you to cry anymore.

Seriously get over it.

362a8dd605be1b3d731831e92b217883.jpg
making some progress, really want to get it decent by tomorrow am so I can clean the engine and tape the bike off to paint....btw wife and son are out of town this last week so I've been trying to slam out as much work as possible before the wife guilt face comes

DohcBikes said:
]No need to disassemble. The indicator lights are grounded by the switch that runs them, and powered by key on voltage. One wire will connect to the power and one will connect to the switch wire, neutral, oil etc. It does not matter which of the black wires go where.
thanks DohcBikes

DohcBikes said:
Your pipes didn't look to be in bad shape before you wrapped them. If you build your bike like minicafe is building his, your rear tire is going to rub. The bright side being that you can store canned goods in the pantry.

Hardware store all out of black zip ties?

I'd just slowly back the fuck up if I were you minicafe. I can understand being a novice builder, I really can. I'm not a pro bike builder, I build and tune engines. I have made many of the same basic mistakes I complain about here. I just happen to know that being subtle with build advice does not get people to change things as effectively as showing them their own ass. What pisses me off is when people that get free info (that is spot on BTW) act the way you do, then build stuff like that. I won't waste my time critiquing a bike that is worth less than the valvetrain on one of my bikes, but that is only because I don't want you to cry anymore.

Seriously get over it.
did I say or do something wrong, I appreciate the wiring information, as far as minicafe bikes goes I like his electric layout, don't see how a clean looking electric system would rub against my back tire?

What wear you referring to as far as the hardware store being out of black zip ties?

The only thing I know for sure about this project is that I am having a great time either making mistakes or adding to the bike I am proud of. I really don't care about your opinions, all I can about is having fun, and that I am.

It has nothing to do with you or your bike. The guy wont stop saying my name so the majority of the post is directed toward him. He has already had some of his assanine remarks towards me removed. Hopefully he shuts the fuck up but as of now i wont respond, out of respect for your thread.

His back tire is going to rub.
He has white zip ties running all down the black frame of his bike.
He has a fucking cabinet door for a seat.
And he keeps trying to piss me off.

Ok im done minicafe, take i chill pill before i change my mind.

BiellaBound: As i said before your build is going well. Why did you wrap the pipes?

DohcBikes said:
It has nothing to do with you or your bike. The guy wont stop saying my name so the majority of the post is directed toward him. He has already had some of his assanine remarks towards me removed. Hopefully he shuts the fuck up but as of now i wont respond, out of respect for your thread.

His back tire is going to rub.
He has white zip ties running all down the black frame of his bike.
He has a fucking cabinet door for a seat.
And he keeps trying to piss me off.

Ok im done minicafe, take i chill pill before i change my mind.

BiellaBound: As i said before your build is going well. Why did you wrap the pipes?
thanks for clarifying that I wrapped the pipes 2 part, 1st I hated the gap the PO left when he put those turnouts, so the wrap at the time before fraying looked cleaner and seemed compliment the bikes original color, 2nd I have always wanted a triumph scrambler or Bonny, I know my bike it a far cry from either buts it's a parallel twin. A lot of the inspiration pics I had collected were triumphs and had wrapped pipes, so it just built into my brain as part of the aesthetic I was trying to achieve. However, completely understanding that the scramblers have wrapped pipes because of the high placement.

I do appreciate your comments though, just spent 4 hours outside sanding the other side cover, let see how it looks when the sun is out

Sorry Biellabound that Dohcbike ranted on your thread about me. We have history. Like an ole married couple. Let me say one last thing about Dohc so he will calm down, he is right about 98% of what he says he just doesnt have any manners. Other post on here that have been removed have been removed by me because i dont think people want to start reading a post to learn something only to read two ole ladies bickering. And he will like me saying this.... He is right, my rear tire does rub if i have the springs on soft setting but hasnt ribbed since i tightened it up. The good news is I own a welder and can change anything. And as far as the "pantry door" seat. Ha. Good one. I like it over most seat designs ive seen. Easy access to the electrical and once covered it wount look ant different than 95% of the other Brat seats. But most importantly I Like It. Dohc never understands what that means.

Back to your build, Nice work on the polishing! I understand your issue with getting it done while your familys away. Those are some good times in the garage for me as well. If you PM me sometime id be glad to get you more detailed pics of my bike. I shouldnt post to many of my bike on your thread, people will want to see your bike not mine. Have fun.

Love ya Dohc....

Looks good. It's a lot of work huh. I can see your fingers in the chrome cover. Dirty work too. I wish mine looked that good. Mine were painted by the previous owner. I like the polished look.

Skipped breakfast, change of heart and motivation took over my hunger. The other cover is as done as it's going to get for now.
662fcc157ecb774e1fb7895a0b16b2d4.jpg

Now it's lunch and some Seattle "relax tobacco" on the porch and think of a somewhat clean mounting solution for the indicators.

Back
Top Bottom