1978 Honda Cb 750 F3

xruze56

Been Around the Block
Hey hows it going guys. Its been a while since I've posted some pics updating the status of my bike. I bought it around The beginning of the march and have made some good progress. I haven't done that much but the bike looks totally different. I have stripped down the whole tank of paint and left it bare metal then sanded it down and clear coated to preserve the metal finish and so it won't rust. Ive rebuilt the carbs and have replaced the oil pan due to an excess amount of oil leaking and also replaced the gaskets. I took off the stock seat and made a seat pan my self in my grandpas shop and made a bracket for the seat to rest on and welded it on and it locks in place with pins i bought from home depot with ball points at the end, painted it and put some bondo in to fill the gaps and painted it black to match the bike and also made a bracket for a light i bought at a led place and attached it to the frame and also made a bracket for my plate and hangs off the left side by my chain. I also took off the cone exhaust and just running straight pipes right now and it sounds like a monster but my next project is to build one my self or maybe throw on a cherry bomb with some heat wrap tape but I'm not sure yet. I still got a while ago and right now I'm trying to figure out how to make rear sets and figure out a seat that will go with the bike but make it stand out. Im deciding on a bright red, a barracuda green or maybe just a plain jane black help me out. If you got any suggestions of what else i should please let me know. On my to do list is (clip ons,rear sets,seat,front marker lights,headlight, gauges, side metal covers which ill make my self and maybe some toggle switches to get rid of all the controls to free up some room on the handle bars and some day try to figure out how to swap out my com stars for some spokes 8))

Before

28jlbnb.jpg

After

jq1279.jpg

35hof1k.jpg

2dagd45.jpg

3xa9x.jpg

mic5s7.jpg

34g6ijc.jpg

vg1zpu.jpg

21aa4pc.jpg

If you have any suggestions please post. This is only my first build and I'm still in a learning curve but figuring it out along the way

I would run superbike bars instead of the clubmans. I cant understand how anyone can ride a late SOHC4 with low bars and stock pegs.
Or install rearsets

I would think that the bike would like a proper muffler

Maybe at this point in the build you want to think about doing things that will improve it as a motorcycle
GL front end swap? you do get points in my book for keeping the brace there
Twin piston calipers? There is a way to use OEM parts and it all bolts on

The bike looks sleek. I think if you lowered the headlight some it would lower the profile of the front end and even out the bike better.

I'm liking the bare metal look contrasted with all the black parts on the bike. I think the comstars look pretty good but that's just my opinion.

surffly said:
I would run superbike bars instead of the clubmans. I cant understand how anyone can ride a late SOHC4 with low bars and stock pegs.
Or install rearsets

I would think that the bike would like a proper muffler

Maybe at this point in the build you want to think about doing things that will improve it as a motorcycle
GL front end swap? you do get points in my book for keeping the brace there
Twin piston calipers? There is a way to use OEM parts and it all bolts on

Im going to run some clip ons on it and and make some of my own rear sets most likely soon since i had no problem at all making my seat but I'm not sure yet. Honestly I've looked for a gl front end and really can't seem to find something in my price range in southern california and the only reason id like to is that i could run a spoke on it instead of the c-stars. As for the a muffler I'm going to probably make my own and throw on a cheery bomb with seam heat wrap tape of buy a an yoshi replica. Does any one have suggestions as of a look to give it more contrast like maybe some red grips and a red seat?

Thanks john it really flows well especially with the coms but i think it would look so much better with spokes in my opinion.
@Yogi bear. I plan on lowering the headlight by just flipping it and i definitely need to knock off those huge hideous marker lights

took off the rotors to get drilled and resurfaced will post pics of before and after. While thats out getting done time to rebuild the forks and look for some rear sets or build my own and throw on some new shorty shocks on it and figure out my front marker lights and what to do with the light and throw a new gold chain on the bitch

Anyone got any suggestions of what kind of grips (color wise) and what color seat to throw on it. I was thinking a red seat would look great with old school cafe brown for the grips

before

htwks8.jpg

Short rear shocks will have a negative effect on the handling.
The improvement would be longer shocks from a DOHC honda

for sure well the rest of my to do list is new sprockets , chain , new brake bads all way around around , rebuild forks , clip ons , rear sets , seat , exhaust , fork covers , replace bearings , lower headlight and custom side covers ill make my self

holy balls. you made that seat. it looks great. you should have drilled your discs yourself. it takes some time, but its not hard. and only costs a few drill bits. I'm thinking of making some new headlight ears, do you have a design for yours yet?
lets make some. keep up the good work.

JH

Thanks man appreciate. A class in high school actually did pay off! Auto shop. Learned how to weld and shape metal in there. Well i sent off the disc because they needed to be resurfaced so i figured id just have the guy drill them to because it was a good price and couldn't pass it up plus drilling the holes for the rotor can easily turn into a mess if you drill incorrectly. As for headlight ears do you mean new brackets to lower the headlight? If thats what you mean ill probably draw up something and whip up something real quick to see what works. Shit i made the bracket for my seat and my lisence in like 20 mins so i don't think ill have a problem making a bracket for the headlight

yeah, I'm talking about lowering the headlight. i made some brackets that use Adel clamps around the forks, but the claims aren't working so well. so i want to make something else. I'm thinking of making a bracket that uses the fork bolts instead of clamping around the forks.

ehhh i wouldn't use adel clamps for a long term use. Short term yes to see if you like the look and all then make something for the long term. Me i think I'm going to go the same route and just make a brace that uses the fork bolts as well

Hey man, great start! I have the same bike (78 cb750f) and am pretty much on the same path as you. learning as I go. I'm curious how you made that seat cause it came out pretty awesome. I'm in socal also, where you located?

Back
Top Bottom