FZR600 Neo-Cafe

Which is what I started with! Tired old biked have tired old engines, more so if they're revvy small bore valvers. I'm not dismissing the idea, but finding an engine with guaranteed provenance isn't likely to be easy.

Thundercat and the FZR-R motor is very similar, being derived from the Fizzer, but isn't a straight swap. Chain line and mounts are different. It can be done, but is a job of work. In fact, swapping bits between 'cat and Fizzer you can build a 660.

I'm waiting for an email back but I'm looking the in the order of £250 for a head build, so with a used block and rings i'll have a motor running close to new spec. Provided the bottom end is sound then lid rather do that than spend similar on another engine that'd probably be pretty tired itself.

Here we are...

Attachments

• WP_20161022_11_31_02_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161022_11_31_02_Pro.jpg
    433.5 KB · Views: 279
  • WP_20161022_11_31_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161022_11_31_07_Pro.jpg
    644.5 KB · Views: 284
It's a 1991, 3he7. One of the first generation bikes, albeit mine is one of the first of the revised models with 4 pot stoppers and the single headlamp fairing... not that it has any fairing left.

Once the heads come off, it's 50/50 surprises eh? Buggers on that bore. Sounds like a good plan to rebuild rather than grab a "runner" block. Mixed bag.

Cleaned up one of the pistons then started the next on soaking in solvent.

Then finished rubbing down the seat unit and primed it. It's looking gewd. Now I need to identify a white used by a modern car manufacturer that's ever so slightly off white, just sort of with a slight creamy tone to it. Ideas that might be available in the UK?

Forks now rebuilt with new seals and oil, and refitted. Front wheel now on the bike.

I have now reached that most motivating of milestones - a rolling chassis!

Finished modifying the R6 seat unit to fit. Where it's not visible it's been stitched together with alloy sheet and pop rivets. However, the one join that will be visible has been made with real 1mm carbon fibre sheet and copper pop rivets. The contrast between the ultra modern carbon and ultra vintage copper looks lovely, and a little be steampunk. Just need to finish rubbing it down for paint.

Like this...

Oh, BTW, the rivets on the left will all be hidden from view when the unit is complete.

Attachments

• WIN_20161031_16_11_21_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20161031_16_11_21_Pro.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 260
Thanks buddy :) I love the contrast between old and new. I've a few little touches like that planned, such as a polished brass exhaust hanger.

Well, November has arrived and with it night frosts. Suppose I shouldn't grumble, only 900 miles south of the Arctic circle.

Weather dull and drizzly. Although it's dry and snug in the workshop it's not ideal weather for painting. Still, managed to spray the speedo bezel which had been filled and repaired. Warmed the can beforehand and placed the piece near a heater, so should get away with it.

And here it is reassembled and better than new. The budget won't allow anything snazzier, and although i'll be re using the original clocks I'll be mounting them differently.

Attachments

• WIN_20161102_17_20_46_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20161102_17_20_46_Pro.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 253
Gone quiet lately, for which I apologise.

Putting the final touches to the chassis and bodywork.

Headlight now installed, and I'm progressing with the paint on the seat unit.

Mount for the clocks has been designed in my head, and is on the list. Meanwhile, engine stripping continues.

Attachments

• WP_20161027_16_30_11_Pro.jpg
    WP_20161027_16_30_11_Pro.jpg
    569.4 KB · Views: 263
Back
Top Bottom