78 XS 750...special to tracker/scrambler

JadusMotorcycleParts said:
I don't know about that exact spot but I have seen similar details cast into yamaha crankcases - for lodging in a wedge and prying them apart (to break stubborn gasket cement). But yeah, seems odd just there?

+1 on that - same on quite a few Japanese makes - including my KZ750 (twin) ........
There's actually a pic in the workshop manual with a pry bar being used !!

I don't know about that exact spot but I have seen similar details cast into yamaha crankcases - for lodging in a wedge and prying them apart (to break stubborn gasket cement). But yeah, seems odd just there?

Exactly correct, there are 2 points cast into the cylinders to help split it away from the cases if the gasket gets stuck.

Also attaching a document that is a collection of posts on tuning carbies which might help you with your carbies
Good luck
Tim

Attachments

• Prypoint.jpg
    Prypoint.jpg
    367.8 KB · Views: 330
  • Prypoint 2.jpg
    Prypoint 2.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 333
  • Mikuni BS34 Idle circuit tuning.pdf
    667.8 KB · Views: 3,124
Thanks for the pics and info... Lets hope its the left side engine cover leaking then and not the base gasket...

Sent from my SM-G903W using Tapatalk

Exactly, those are pry points, even says so in the workshop manual! :) im guessing by your intake/exhaust setup and no power at small throttle openings you have not raised the needles? Mine needed to come at least one notch up with pods and 3-1 2" exhaust.

advCo said:
The 'smoke' out of the crankcase breather is normal, its water vapor that 'steams' off the oil when the engine is at temp. Factory airboxes usually have the breather air recycled into the airbox so you never see it.
Yes if its not worse than a lit cigarette its perfectly ok. Just put a filter on there.

filter is on the crankcase breather hose. Carb adjutment is next then I need a decent day for another test ride, getting cold and wet here. Exhaust is stock 3 into 2.

Psy

To close this off unlike so many threads here this project was 99% finished and the bike was running well (maybe still needed some fine tuning with the jets for the pods) and then sold off to fund the next project.....

Yamaha 77' XT500

Psy
b7b32eabc0fe6d0ba4ec37bcefdc7fe5.jpg
bd3f42a448097d18e67037ad45b9440f.jpg

Back
Top Bottom