Snell approved 1/2 helmet...?

Scruffy

West Tennessee
Going through some of my raggedy old junk. Turns out the old 1/2 shell I painted to match one of my bikes has a Snell 1968 approval label inside of it... Manufacturer unknown, the maker's label just says Made in Japan.

Anyone else ever run across a Snell approved 1/2 helmet? Seems a bit odd to me.

And no, I don't use it, it was painted up as a display only prop back in 2000 or so for the Little Sturgis Mississippi bike rally. My 1/2 and 3/4 shells are all modern. Except the old gold on maroon Bell (USA made so that should date it pretty well) 3/4 that is also too small...

are you into selling the old bell? i would like to see it and make an offer
as far as an old snell half i dont think that would be too unusuall the cops wear them

Scruffy said:
Anyone else ever run across a Snell approved 1/2 helmet? Seems a bit odd to me.

Based on information from Snell's website (http://www.smf.org/stds), their helmet standard for 1968 was based on the US Standards Institute Z90.1-1966 document. I'm guessing that standard allowed for 1/2 helmets.

xb33bsa said:
are you into selling the old bell? i would like to see it and make an offer
as far as an old snell half i dont think that would be too unusuall the cops wear them

I've got a police spec 1/2 shell, made in Colorado in the late 90s. DOT only, no Snell rating.

The old Bell? My 88 years old next month father in law still uses it on the rare occasion he's on a bike. Not available, and already have plans for it... besides, the thin foam padding over the EPS has turned into dust. Just like in my now retired police helmet. Which really pisses me off, can't stand modern helmets made in Taiwan/Korea/China, even my 2005 Fulmer 3/4 shell is cheaply made Chi-com garbage.

I'm confused -- who approves the smell? Is it subjective? Don't they make cleaners for helmets that smell, for not only 1/2s but every kind?

Oh... wait a sec... you said "snell"... nevermind.

thats funny "smell approved" ill have to remember that one
i like using words that sound like words but arent just to see if people are really lisrtening
rite outta hischool i learned all things machine design fabrication from a genius dutchman by the name of wim, wim lely
one of his favorites when in deep discussion and he maybe was calling bullshit,or whatever, would be to state "well thats in-ma-testical" :D and just keep on talking

Back
Top Bottom