GPZ 305 Cafe build "Lorelai"

Love the bright colors, especially the blue. I'll be watching this one!

Getting the frame almost stripped, welding the tail section on and cutting off tabs.

gpzcafeframestrip.jpg

Engine looks good inside, hasn't run in twenty years. (Was running fine last time used)
everything looks clean and no rust anywhere. Going to flush out everything and check
oil passages. You can still see the honing marks on the cylinders when it was last
rebuilt for racing.

gpzcafeengine1.jpg

Got me some..............

forkboots.jpg

Going to use the stock pipes and cut them off, the part I cut off weights as much as
the rest of the pipe!

gpzstockpipes.jpg

What they look like now.

gpzcafecutoffpipes.jpg

Finished cutting off tabs and welding the shortened tail section on "Lorelai" last night :)

(That sounded a little odd ;D)

Finally got back in the swing of working on the cafe on a regular basis, feels good to see
things moving forward.

Some progress on the cafe, I'm going to polish the swingarm mount and clear coat it as
seen below.

gpzcafe10.jpg

stripping the top triple, and going to polish and clear coat.

gpzcafe9.jpg

Tank is finally fixed and ready to finish sand/prime/sand/prime/sand/paint/sand/paint.....
..........................well you know the drill :mad:

gpzcafe8.jpg

And here is my modified stock pipe and high temp paint.

gpzcafe11.jpg

Between the cafe and my daughters restored Gpz, I'm able to keep busy even while
waiting for parts. I even started doing a little on the dragbike Gpz. (Very little right now ::))

Thanks 8)

The pipes will be louder and will maybe give it a little more power. The
engine that's going into it already had a Yoshimura 2 into 1 pipe and had
been rejetted for that, and gave it more guts. These will be 2 into 2 like stock,
but have less back pressure, so hopefully give it a little more. But like a lot of
people on here will tell you by the time you mess with the pipes and jets, unless
you have a dyno you never really know ;)

Slowly!! Have had a lot of other stuff going on since fall, hope to get hard at it in the next few weeks. Been working on the house and working/working/working. Trust me I want to get this thing done and go out on the twisties :D

Finally got to get some work done on the cafe the last couple days, been a long time since I've had time to touch the thing.

Sand blasted the swingarm/drum brake cover/sprocket cover/triple clamp. At first I was going to polish them all, but decided they looked nice with just a clear coat.

Polished the swingarm mounting point on the frame and clear coated the whole frame.

Painted the wheels cream from the former red.

Got to the roller stage last night, I still need to finish rebuilding the fork tubes, the engine is almost done and I just need to order my new Avon tires.

That's where I'm at as of last night.

Here is the speedo I'm going to use for now. It's off of a Yamaha SR 250. I want to build a speedo/tach combo that I showed in previous posts, but if I want to get this thing on the road this year, this is it.

Fitting the speedo to the tripleclamp, had to cut off the outer ears and drill holes on top to mount speedo.

Blasted.

Cut off rear of footpeg/exhaust hanger, and blasted.

Trial fitting.

All 5 of my Gpz 305s together finally, in various states of upheavel. ;D

l

More parts finished.

Yes I know it has some scrapes, but it earned them while I was falling off at 80-90 mph road racing years ago. ;)

My new Avon Roadriders mounted.

How to remove a 25 year old dried out, worn out, POS tire without damaging the rim.

Got some new UNI dual stage filters for the Gpz, and a Russell inline fuel filter.

Putting these Emgos out of harms way, to never be used on anything of value, got scared straight after reading the thread about cheap pod filters. :eek:

That thing is super cute and I think it will be fun as hell to ride.

Good job so far, will be following this thread.

Did you just call my bike Cute ? :(
Well I guess there goes all that mocho persona out the window.

Back
Top Bottom