The bike Honda never built - or, my MR250 Elsinore for the Vintage 1000

Just came across this....following along!

If you need any test rides done on it, Chris and I have you covered. Just find an open field (or closed)

Andrew pointed my here, guess I should follow this since I have that MT sitting in my shed... Gonna be an epic race for sure

Hey! more of the usual suspects in here.

little skid pan action tonight. Took intermission to buy another lathe and sell mine, and my bridgeport mill is running now too. So, worth it.

3067-120316222516.jpeg

Made an ugly template. traced it onto metal, stamped the numbers so I dont forget when i wipe them off...
3067-120316235924.jpeg

Cut them out, ground a couple down to mock up. Long ways to got, but I'm tired.

3067-120316235224.jpeg

xb33bsa said:
needs ventilation,swiss it, 7/8''-1-3/4'' holes all in marching order and dimpled
xb33bsa said:
needs ventilation,swiss it, 7/8''-1-3/4'' holes all in marching order and dimpled

It's getting holes alright. Just didn't have the energy to make it happen last night. My mill works now tho, it's probably gonna play a key roll there

Mr.E said:
It's getting holes alright. Just didn't have the energy to make it happen last night. My mill works now tho, it's probably gonna play a key roll there

Working Mill? You just ranked up in the BMLC!

Got a Vesco Desert Tank in the mail the other day from XB, so i figured id go ahead and set it up. had to weld a couple new mounts.

3067-200316011940.jpeg

Trying to do this so I can still use the holy tank when I get it fixed up too.

Got that squared away with a couple spacers on the lathe, and some nylon spacers in the tank bushing holes, and now this:

3067-200316010849.jpeg

I think it looks pretty good on there!

Gonna be doing a few stretches of long sit down miles on this ride too. So I'm gonna change up the seat a little. Need to scoop a little out of the saddle to give a better pad, and room to stick a gel pad in there too.

3067-200316011023.jpeg

I'll scoop it out when I'm less sleepy. Likely gonna do brown tuck/roll like my other stuff. It works, and I like it :)

Had to go in to work this evening to fix a mold, so while waiting on it to get put back in the machine I started learning on the fly to weld the magnesium cases. You may recall in the first page I found some damage from water in the cases.

3067-200316215050.jpeg

So, not having anything to practice on, I just started digging in settings on the case. Not the prettiest, but I'm getting it dialed in a bit. That's all the time I had tonight so I'll keep on the cases as time allows.

3067-200316215250.jpeg

This is badass!
Your route should bring you within a few miles of my house so if you need a place to crash let me know.

Probably bad wording. if you need a place to "stay" let me know.

grcamna5 said:
Cool :) 8) Did you tig weld it using aluminum & did you have to pre-heat the case? I'd like to learn how to weld & will later.

I did TIG weld it but used a setup for ferrous metals with 75/25 gas mix. Not 50/50 as some guides say. I have a local laser welder here that gave me some tips and supplied the Magnesium rods for this. First round I used AZ292 rods, but since have had a little better success with AZ291. I'll post pics of that later. I didnt preheat the entire part, but did heavy sand blasting followed by degreaser flush, and then torched the area to weld, followed by wire scrubbing. And i wire brushed after every couple arcs. The material puddles and burns off very quickly so I had to move fast. It also was very dirty. but the grind back showed the inside of my work is solid and seamless with the case, so I'm happy there. Just have to keep plugging untill I get a good finish, then work the gasket surface back to flat.

Back
Top Bottom