VINDICATOR - 60's style Cafe Racer TR1

Thanx guys - that was precisely the "look" we were after for the new project ["Spirit of Brooklands" ] - styling cues from the vee twin era of the 60's / 70's - Egli, Norvin, etc.

The official release date for the project [ RAM commercial project ] is a couple of months away yet - but I am documenting / photographing everything in my usual fashion and will post up as and when.

In our own defence - the version shown was knitted up using bends we had pre made, and as such the awkward kink up from the rear slip joint has been elimintated on the later versions with a smoother transition. Additionally the bottom [ front ] pipe now has a continuous slow curve all the way to the silencer. We're having special stainless steel Goldie style silencers made by an old English company - Armours.

As previously - the bonus is that I get one of the prototypes for the Vindicator !

There are some novel approaches to old issues, which I hope my peers will agree - work !

Meanwhile, other work continues on the Vindicator - frame, side stand and swingarm will be off next week together with ditto from my KZ Flat Tracker for shot blasting.

BTW - the "bumper" paint [ textured ] that I trialled on the brake plates has been 100% successful. Dried rock hard and been out in all weathers for 2 months now. I WILL trial it on one of the engines.

Public thanx to RichArd of this parish, who has been helping us to track down parts we need for the SOB - thanx mate.

Splitting time now between the Vindicator and "Spirit of Brooklands" project. One bonus is some of the parts will interchange [ like exhaust ] so I guess it's swings and roundabouts.

Now then .........who stole the first half of 2014 while I wasn't looking ??????

Got my first lot of polishing back from my guy Friday. Superb as usual. ;D

Got me thinking about the yokes and fork bottoms [ now I've painted them Black ! ]

I've got some other stuff going down for the KZ Flat Tracker and Kay Streetfighter next weekend, so I've got a bit of time to dwell on that.

I also collected the top yokes from the machine shop [ next to polish shop ], bored out to take the K1100 forks to complete the front wheel conversion.

Miffa there's an ugly rumour going round that it WILL be finished this year !!!

Another pile of bits going down to the polishers next Monday - that's decision time re. the fork legs and yokes .......................

Fork legs polished it is then ! The jury's still out on the yokes [ triple trees ].

I also realised I hadn't taken the masking tape off the back of the brake plate / shoes after I sprayed them ............ you know what it's like when masking tape has been in place for 5 or 6 weeks !!! Ah well, call me stupid.

Back from my Saxony chill break and with a list as long as your arm !!!

AT least it's some sort of schedule to get things done a little quicker [ ?? ]

The polishing [ fork legs, etc. ] will be packed up and off to my polisher next week, masking tape now off the brake shoes [ !! ] and I did a quick mock up of the drums on the wheel to finalise the brake torque brackets / straps.

There's a pile of parts [ all 3 projects ] waiting to go off to the passivaters [ Gold ], and both the Vindicator swingarm and KZ750 frame / swinger are ready for the blaster / powder coater in a week's time - they're on summer shutdown at the moment.

Still undecided about the yokes [ polish or leave them Black ] - anyone want to influence me one way or the other ?

My pal AC at Realm has had absolute mayhem in his workshop - the week before I went away, his place was scheduled for a complete electrical rewire - estimated 1 week - FIVE weeks later and just completed !

That means that work on the new Spirit of Brooklands project has been at a standstill - and de-facto the common parts for the Vindicator. Vincent style exhaust, rear sub-frame, side panels, tank [ fuel ] cover ..................

However, I now have a local mate of a mate who is more than willing to help me out with welding and small fab jobs.

Fork legs off to be polished now. Final decision re: yokes [ trees ] at the weekend to catch the same polish batch.

Yokes Black - Chrome headlamp, polished alloy instrument mounts [ a la Goldie ] Black instrument pods, Black headlamp mounts .. that's it - I think.

After a month of foced inactivity it's back into it.

I've sorted all the parts [ except the frame ] ready for powder coating. I'm also making a pile of small parts I want chromed for all 3 projects. I'll declutter the frame and remove the remainder of the wiring loom and then get it powder coated.

I'm definitely staying with Black yokes now [ triple trees ] as I want to use a chrome headlamp. I'm debating whether to bite the bullet and get the new Lucas 7" unit chromed. The chrome on the Indian unit was crap - so I wasn't dissapointed when I ended up with a painted black one - paint also crap ! Bizarrely, the Lucas repro switchgear looks very robust. I have also got a Guzzi flat back chrome unit ??????????

I've also started collecting all the parts together to be Gold passivated - sprockets, spindles, nuts / bolts ............

All the Grimeca furniture has been stripped ready for "proper" chroming - the plating on brake levers was absolute crap, and the connector rods not much better.

Decision time re: the 7" Lucas headlamp - I think I will go for having it chromed. No doubt that will codst more than buying the headlamp, but will be worth it.

There's a handful of other parts from all 3 projects I'll get done at the same time. Miffa of this parish has pointed me in the direction of a couple of good chromers - thanx mate. 8)

Chrome headlamp it is then. I'll get the new 7" "Lucas" [ copy ] unit stripped down ready for the shell to be chromed. The rim looks OK, but I'll have it done at the same time. Switch panel ???? Chrome or paint ?

The mofified rear frame and prop stand are away being powder coated [ back this week ], then it's decision time on which frame to use [ I have 3 ].

Yep I did the chrome headlamp thingy on my XV too - looks verra British, don't ye know? Polished lower legs as well.
Unlike you, polished crowns - jeez did that ever take a lot of effort to strip the factory black and polish out the shitty alloy, but done now except for a final polish towards the end of the build.
If you scratch your pate and think back awhile at the photos I posted (2 years ago), I had a polished alloy plate rubber mounted to the upper crowns that puts the big fat factory tacho in the center and a little Mike's XS 2" speedo to one side. I also reclocked the tacho so the redline is at top dead center, just like an old race bike I saw about 50 years ago...
Nice work on the polishing, BTW.
Pat

Sorry if I'm missing the point TJ, but would it be cheaper and easier to use one of theses Lucas replica shells. They are available with
instrument cut outs or a plain shell. At £30 must be cheaper than re-chroming.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-3TA-5TA-T120-LUCAS-STYLE-HEADLIGHT-SHELL-RIM-/371085362255?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts_13&hash=item566669444f

Attachments

• $T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihq!IBRb(ECBbpQ~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16RHJHwE9n8ihq!IBRb(ECBbpQ~~60_12.JPG
    17.8 KB · Views: 1,315
Back
Top Bottom