Getting my own little workshop

Blake

the future is my friend
Working on this thing since January '13. Took 4 months of visits, applications, fees, appeals and an appearance before the city planning commission (to the tune of an additional $975) before we even cleared the land for the thing. The city was helpful, it was EPD stuff. See, the shop is about 35 feet from a natural waterway and there are lots of ordinances in place to protect riparian areas.

We went with a kit from work. 12x16, upgraded floors, extra-wide door, gambrel roof (for more overhead storage), 4x12 loft overhead. I'll build some steps and probably a small brick patio out front for some workspace. I have a bike ramp and some cement blocks for steps right now.

Anyway, on to the pictures...

Area of the yard:
IMG_3656_zps9daa302e.jpg

This little guy wasn't prepared for the job...
IMG_1319_zps7c6d798e.jpg

So I hired the neighborhood kids on the promise I'd grill 'em some hotdogs:
IMG_5200_zpsca2aac4a.jpg

Sling blade cleared out the tall stuff
IMG_5921_zps8ab312b7.jpg

Then some Roundup for the serious stuff

IMG_5994_zpse372c1e9.jpg

Now time to cut down some (big dead) trees:
IMG_5993_zpsd8a40b96.jpg

more in the next post...

Construction begins!

IMG_6113_zpsa545c58a.jpg

The rainy weather did not help things
IMG_6117_zpseea14dc2.jpg

IMG_6116_zps199344b3.jpg

We have a 16x12 shed!
IMG_6128_zpsade19a6b.jpg

This was the largest kit available at Home Depot before moving to one with a second floor (would've been nice but the price jump was BIG)
IMG_6122_zpsf3e89e5e.jpg

Time to move in! Electricity is in place via an extension cord across the yard. I plan to wire the place with a fan and outlets later on. This will suffice for now.

IMG_6314_zps34f5e961.jpg

I have one 4x12 loft in the back and might add another in the front if I need the extra storage space
IMG_6313_zps711e1b90.jpg

View from the loft:
IMG_6317_zps704f701d.jpg

Getting organized:
photo_2_zps57d598b3.jpg

photo_zps84365478.jpg

Needed a nice light:
IMG_6402_zpse18aa6cd.jpg

IMG_6403_zps1573f992.jpg

I'm getting organized inside and we're painting tomorrow and Sunday. I can't wait to have this thing finished so I can get back to work on the bike. It's been a long 2 years. School, job changes, baby, buying our first house, working on that house for the last 7 months.... I'll post more pics from the painting and stuff if you're interested. I'd really like to know your advice for space saving shop ideas. I pop into the Garage Journal from time to time but I'd like to see some compact, 2-wheel specific shops from you guys.

We started painting on the front before leaving for vacation.

tumblr_moyq9eYd0W1qb5nzto1_r1_500.png

This guy is great because he works for RC Cola and Moonpies:

tumblr_mpa5omF22r1qb5nzto1_500.jpg

Finally slung this old vise from my Father-in-law on a workbench.

424482_10151498957952636_1379906873_n.jpg

Awesome - didn't know you could get RC in glass bottles!

And congrats on the workspace , sounds like it's well earned.

Dude, this is awesome and I'm really happy for you. We moved into a house a couple of months ago so that I could finally have my own shop. Single car garage, probably the same size as your new shed. But it's real, it's functional, and it's mine.

I love the pics and I love that you involved the kids. They're going to be talking about that project for the rest of their lives, you just created family history and probably instilled some lessons and memories that will come back to bite you in the ass one day... ;D

Enjoy it Dude, I'll be following your progress and stealing ideas with wild abandon!

Nice job Bake! And congrats on the help! The only help I had decided he wanted the Supervisors position!

And I would've liked a loft, but the service line to the house runs right over the top of mine now. So that was a no go from the start.

I'm all for protecting nature, but I'm not sure why the government needs almost a grand of your money. Looks good, must be real nice to have a dedicated space for your bike.

Back
Top Bottom