Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

Good thing about having a nice camera, great photos! Bad thing about having a nice camera, file sizes, editing and uploading time...lol

Last one for now! Man, I love staring at this thing lol.

As always, clicking the photos and loading them up on SmugMug gives you a crisp full screen experience (even on mobile devices)

stroker crazy said:
Look like a lot of fun BG!

But terrifying.

With a pipe underneath it's going to look (comparatively) normal.

Crazy

Yes! Underslung pipe will change it completely when I get to that point. Thanks for the kind words!

Popeye SXM said:
I love it. Is it as wild to ride as it looks? BIG FUN :)

I've only ridden it in the grass around the house so far trying to shake it down. I think that when it gets on the asphalt it'll be properly mad. There is a GP track not 15 miles from my house I've always wanted to take a 2 stroke to, so eventually I think I'll wind up there making a few laps just for shots and giggles.

2 strokes have always been so much more fun to ride, to me.

Re: Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

wong_fei_hung192 said:
That exhaust is crazy! I gotta see it with a body on it! Does it clear the knees well?

Sent from my LGMS631 using DO THE TON mobile app

Yes it does. As long as your not leaning way over on that side, it's okay. You have to be a little careful on it, but it's not terribly bad. More likely to grt onto it standing up or when starting it.

Re: Building my own two-stroke "Mongrel" - Inspired by CharlieT & TedT

Like riding a box of frogs!
Brilliant!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I got to fartin around in the yard a little too hot and heavy a few weeks ago after doing some carburetor dialing and high sided the bike. Luckily it was fairly low speed and in the grass or it coulda been kinda bad. Tweaked my new handlebars and mangled up my rear sets on each side. Tank pipe an everything else seems okay, I got a little skinned up up but my dad always says "When you're dumb you gotta be tough..."

Long story short, finally got it where it was running good and super crisp once warm. Was coming across the yard at a pretty good clip faster than I realized (I can tell this will be a problem...haha). Got onto the brakes harder than I should have and then into a little bumpy area and I washed the front end out. Totally my own stupidity and I knew better but I was having too much fun listening to the exhaust to realize how fast I was going at the time.

So, I gotta work on fixing the rear sets again.

In the interim I've been doing a lot of research and reading on trying to do my own hydroform exhaust pipe. The sectional looks awesome but mother of God is it labor and time intensive to build. I've exchanged a few emails with a guy named Martin I found on a forum that has built a ton in the UK and has basically shared information and technique on how to do it. So I'm gonna be working towards that also. The initial lay out has been the most confusing part to me and I think I have an understanding of that now. Basically after that you lay it out on sheet metal, weld the edges and pump up with a pressure washer. Here's a vide on Youtube that shows some of the process (not mine): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ppXRMTeR2NQ

I hope to in the next coming few months be able to start experimenting with that. Between now and March is usually when I get more projects done in the shop so hopefully I get to spend some more time in there with Dad and continue working on this beast.

Any new updates? Still loving this thing, and hoping to see it finished :)

I'm still here - work and other things just have been kicking my ass. I've cranked the bike up and ran it a few times to keep the gas fresh in the carb but have not done really anything else with it lately. Hard to believe it's been this many months already without any work on it. Hopefully soon I can get back on it. Really just the matter of buttoning up the exhaust, wiring, and a lot of little things at this point.

Back
Top Bottom