My Suzi T500 Project *It's Alive Video*

Re: My Suzi T500 Project

I really don't like the licence plate mounted on the side, always looks like an afterthought to me (imho).
Gary I drew a line using my all my paint skills on the pic below, is this what you were talking about?

Attachments

• lic 4 - Copy.JPG
    lic 4 - Copy.JPG
    232.9 KB · Views: 212

I think a simple bracket hanging the plate off the tail, angled at say.....45* with a couple teeny tiny LEDs.

The second suggestion was off the tail end more conventinally (my personal choice) that sounds close to what Swagger also mentioned? I don't care for the side mounts, It reminds me of a chopper? Whatever you choose will be fine because it's already a cool bike.
Cheers, 50gary

Bikes coming together real nice man. I prefer an axle mount so it doesn't clash with the lines of the bike.

I'm with oldskool on not screwing with those beautiful lines, maybe you could just attach the plate flush to the underside of the tail unit? Maybe install a few riv-nuts and keep it all flush....

Is this what your talking about? As for the side or axle mount I just can't get excited about that look.

Attachments

• lic 2 - Copy.JPG
    lic 2 - Copy.JPG
    236.6 KB · Views: 214

That works. Side mounts look a a terrible after thought where the builder couldn't work out how to do the job nicely. The argument for them is that a normal mount ruins teh lines, but sticking a plate on the side looks ghetto.

On this bike there appear to be two choices. angle mount off the rear lower edge on the seat as shown or under the seat up against the frame rails. Hidden under the middle of the seat but still visible from the rear. The plate is supposed to be at teh back so a mid mount might draw unwanted attention.

Go with the last paint mock up.

That's what I thought would be cleanest on this piece of art....you could even feature it with an attractive aluminum bracket so it doesn't look like a grudging afterthought which is what I usually get stuck with haha.

To each is his own,Honestly there is no place on a custom bike for a plate. Teazer, if that comment was towards me,you have no idea what type of a builder I am. If not you may want to think of how you word your comments. John,wherever you put it I know it will look as good as the rest of your work.

JOhnu, your reply in post #425 is what I had in mind, that's exactly what I have on my cafe Honda CX.
Cheers, 50gary

@oldskool(sic): HAHAHAHA! You're right but we ALL KNOW what kind of builder Teazer is.
And side plates are one of the stupidest (I hesitate)"trends" in motorcycling, every tool with generic hipster skinny jeans, body odor and a CB350 puts on a side mounted plate right after the clubmans and mustache sticker.

@oldskool(sic): HAHAHAHA! You're right but we ALL KNOW what kind of builder Teazer is.
And side plates are one of the stupidest (I hesitate) "trends" in motorcycling, every tool with generic hipster skinny jeans, body odor and a CB350 puts on a side mounted plate right after the clubmans and mustache sticker.

oldskool said:
To each is his own,Honestly there is no place on a custom bike for a plate. Teazer, if that comment was towards me,you have no idea what type of a builder I am. If not you may want to think of how you word your comments. John,wherever you put it I know it will look as good as the rest of your work.

Eh? Do I know you or your bikes or builds?

I know a couple of people that use a version of the "OldSchool" type screen name and have no problem with them, so why would you think I'm attacking you. You are inferring something that was never intended. :) It's all cool.

There is nothing in my post aimed at any individual or group of individuals. I said that it looks ghetto - that's my opinion. I don't like tacked on bits. The irony is that back in the day or "Old School", we had our license/registration/number plates on the back of the bike. It was the chopper guys in recent years that introduced the tack on side mounts and I don't like them. What anyone else does on their build is up to them. My opinion is just that, an opinion. No one is forced to agree or disagree.

I agree with you 100% that whatever John does we can expect it to be as well executed as the rest of this beautiful build.

Teazer your post was similar to mine, and thats the only reason I took offense. But if you say it wasn't meant that way then I'm cool and i can appreciate that. Swagger correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Greta and Willow have axle mount plates? I am a fabricator by trade, so I hope you can understand why I might take offense, and I forget that not too many people know it.John I apologize for this going down on your thread.

oldskool said:
Teazer your post was similar to mine, and thats the only reason I took offense. But if you say it wasn't meant that way then I'm cool and i can appreciate that. Swagger correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't Greta and Willow have axle mount plates? I am a fabricator by trade, so I hope you can understand why I might take offense, and I forget that not too many people know it.John I apologize for this going down on your thread.

No problem just one of the internet nuances let's just move on.

1969, I like your idea but.... because of the shallow angle the plate can barely be seen in that location.

Back
Top Bottom