Another build thread? Why the fuck not! KZ650 daily driver build.

Jordan. an electric carving knife makes short work of the ass cups and you can shape it yourself, then take it for a cover, costs less that way. I'd put some gel pads in for you and the lady as well.

Maritime said:
Jordan. an electric carving knife makes short work of the ass cups and you can shape it yourself, then take it for a cover, costs less that way. I'd put some gel pads in for you and the lady as well.

Yeah i've got one from when I did the foam on the RD and I COULD do that.. but realistically the local guy isn't that expensive and he does KILLER work. I would rather spend an extra $20 and have him do it all to make sure he gets it tip top. I think the both the RD and CB100 seats were ~150. The 350 was a bare pan that he did some fiberglass work to hug the tank, and the 100 he made the entire pan and foam and seat.. I will look into maybe some gel in there.

Cool for those prices I agree, save some $$ somewhere else. I was quoted 750 for my GL seat so I will do it myself, and that price was me supplying leather.

Maritime said:
Cool for those prices I agree, save some $$ somewhere else. I was quoted 750 for my GL seat so I will do it myself, and that price was me supplying leather.
Holy shit, no for that price I would buy the thing from China... its like $250... There is more fabric on this seat than the others but should be easier for him. I'll get a quote and have to see I suppose. If its still 1-200 then you know your guy is an ass. I had no idea it could even possibly cost that much.

JSJamboree said:
These bars are not as low as superbike bars. The bars that came on it were really large, so these cables are super long. I was looking at just getting stock cables. Do you know if both push and pull are the same cable? I was looking at the motion pro 03-0001, but some people say its the pull cable, some say its the push cable, and no one says its both. However, I cant find any other cables out there. If you think i'll still run into length issues with my daytona bars i'll look into those kz100d cables, but I get annoyed quick fucking with throttle cables and that sounds like a sure fire headache. This weekend i'll run the current measurements and see what size cables seems to fit best

My buddy has some euro bars, which I think are pretty close to Daytona bars, on his 650 with motion pro 03-0001. 43.5" long with 4.0" of slack and they are fine. The clutch cable is the stock cable and is on the verge of being too long. The kz650-D,E,F need different push and pull cables. The B and C models can use the same cable for both push and pull

Heard back from the seat guy, he said $200 for him to do everything. Need to decide now if I want to save the $50 and go at this seat or just buy the chinaman seat and keep this one around.

Replaced the battery cables. They have been hacked up by the PO. Always fun fixing what didn't need to be done to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Attachments

• IMG_3302.JPG
    IMG_3302.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 331
  • IMG_3354.JPG
    IMG_3354.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 344
  • IMG_3355.JPG
    IMG_3355.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 333
  • IMG_3356.JPG
    IMG_3356.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 336
  • IMG_3360.JPG
    IMG_3360.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 338
JSJamboree said:
Once she's up and running I plan to get a modern Reg/Rec on and likely an electronic ignition. Might look at that fuse box upgrade at that point too.

Two of the best mods to the bike you can do first.

Check out the Joe Minton mods for the 650. Most are cheap and really improve handling. Getting rid of my 650 is one of my regrets.

Rider52 said:
Check out the Joe Minton mods for the 650. Most are cheap and really improve handling. Getting rid of my 650 is one of my regrets.

Any link to the old articles? I found his XS stuff, but I can only find people saying they did them or people should do the KZ mods. Can't find the actual publications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JSJamboree said:
Once she's up and running I plan to get a modern Reg/Rec on and likely an electronic ignition. Might look at that fuse box upgrade at that point too.

'77 had a 1 year only charging system. The whole wiring harness can be swapped or just splice in the reg./rec. and stator.
The alignment pins on the stator cover are opposite between the two also.

Rider52 said:
They were added to the Clymer KZ650 manuals. The chapter is called Performance Modifications

Any chance you have a scanner and a copy? I have a shop manual, dont really want to by a Clymer just for that.

Nebr_Rex said:
'77 had a 1 year only charging system. The whole wiring harness can be swapped or just splice in the reg./rec. and stator.
The alignment pins on the stator cover are opposite between the two also.

The PO claimed to have replaced the reg and rec recently on the bike, its been messed with because there are butt splices in the harness because they didn't have the right ends i suppose. I want to get it running first, but i'll swap that over with a modern one here asap. Likely just get a SparckMoto one

If you are going to end up rewiring most of the bike, a spark moto FB-11 is a nice little thing to use to do it.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a copy of the manual and I don't think the new versions include the Minton information. I searched the net last night and came up with a lot of info on XS650s, but nothing on KZ650s.

Back
Top Bottom