GS1100G Resto-mod

Those carbs were NASTY!!!!
Did you use lots of aerosol carb cleaner as well? If you have not reassembled them, you can come over and use my gallon cans of berryman's dip also. When they are that filthy, there is no doubt in my mind that they need extreme measures taken to make sure they are cleared out on the inside passages where you cannot see. I also have this really fancy laboratory grade ultrasonic that you can fit cylinder heads into. It's currently full of Pine-Sol and water mixture, as I ran out of the simple green pro HD. I've been wanting to track down some krud kutter cleaning solution that I had read was the best thing ever for Ultrasonics. I think some TSC stores sell it, but not the one that I went to in Coshocton. I think there's one down your way on the way to Lancaster.

krud-kutter-paint-thinner-solvents-cleaners-ec05-64_1000.jpg

So far I’ve used two whole cans of carb spray and about a dozen ultra- sonic cycles for each set(I can fit 2 in at one time safely, flip around the carb position in cleaner periodically every two cycles to send the waves in different directions.). Then pull from cleaner and they are smoking hot, hit em with carb cleaner and compressed air while I pop the other two in the ultra sonic to keep the process rolling.
8e5cea2ba05d05b99434ce8f201b29fb.jpg

537fef0fd16233b5e9ffc050f10c3ca3.jpg

Those pics were taken after about the first six cycles. (6 more followed that).

Gonna do one more real thorough session tomorrow (6 cycles for each) since I’m awaiting new OEM float valves, jets. small screws +brackets that bottom the floats out. If I don’t find that to be enough, for them to be clean I’ll hit you up! There is another TSC btw in Pickerington. Was just there yesterday for dog food, wish I woulda know to check for that krud cutter!

Chuck78 said:
I'll have to drop in next Saturday to admire the progress before I steal ya for some woods riding

I’ll keep this in mind.....make sure the garage is organized. It was a joke working out there today. Shit is everywhere. Otherwise can’t wait to ride dirt this weekend! Wish I had new tires, hopefully mine make it through the day safely...

Chuck78 said:
That's a steep swingarm angle, max should be around 11.5 degrees.

Yes, this is something I plan to address. They are maxed out on length now as a mock up. There s a spacer on the bottom that would drop it down another 1” to 1-1/4” (eyeballed guess on the difference that could make.

Chuck78 said:
Did you use a recommended shafty rear wheel spines heavy duty moly lube for reassembly back there?

I used what I had in the shop Valvoline Fullsynthetic ‘FullSyn’ Grease. Moly fortified but a low amount at that. I’ll get back to that down the road when I pick up the correct stuff you/Suzuki recommends.

Chuck78 said:
Were you thinking of striping the tank still down the middle?

Unsure on this. Maybe.... it looks good as is to me as is. All black is growing on me with this bike.

Chuck78 said:
Headlight yet?

No headlight found yet and honestly I’m not in a huge rush there. Plenty of other work to be done in the mean time so I guess I can wait and I I see a screaming deal I’ll snag one. Anthony may even have a spare from his parts bike. Also I already have those headlight ears! Bought the identical black bikemaster ears. Installed them today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Made more progress on carbs. 4 more steamy ultra Sonics baths for the carb bodies followed my carb cleaner and compressed air to officially check those off.
A short cycle with heat in fresh sonic bath for all internals (heat helped a ton during this) then carb cleaner and compressed air for all of those bits. I need another can of carb cleaner for the throttle tubes. Then I plan to polish the carb tops and then (this week?) should have new mains, pilots, valve seats and float needles to reassemble the whole shebang and get them mounted up.
aa2b2aa9c9a0bcf05e6d2240425da6f7.jpg

and a couple photos of some of what I was dealing with.

f357493ccd03a21b7124cfb3798d8677.jpg

The float frame is aluminum btw...
To my surprise those cleaned up rather quickly.

7d7319d8505ffc4bb56280b9ad92293b.jpg

Anthony works at an auto parts store and they were getting rid of these and he asked if I wanted one.
Will help keep all the misc. carb bits somewhat organized!

8b71951f2fb56050e653e7777269364a.jpg

A little bummed out today. Expensive Partzilla order I placed on 4/14 has items that are on back order until May 2nd.
Then they will have to box and ship it at that point. 20+ days for some float needles, float valves and other small carb hardware seems outrageous. Nowadays anything outside of a 2 week period seems slow....
Amazon prime has apparently changed the way I view shipping turnaround.

Had to look that one up as it didn’t ring a bell right away.
“Well I don’t want FOP god damnit”
https://youtu.be/YZ4z0QhD92Y

Partzilla order should be here by Tuesday. I plan to have carb tops polished, slide needles shimmed and everything ready to install when the remainder of the parts arrive.

Quick question for anyone reading. My larger main jets arrived and I apparently purchased the small mains as opposed to the large mains that are offered at JetRus. The head thickness, thread pitch and overall height are the same. Width is different however.
Should this effect anything ?

To me is seems like it would function in the exact same way so my question may be redundant. Would just like to have some reassurance if it is at all possible.
d3576eae38cd9815b7a902653bbe4421.jpg
2254100120a4d25de6120ff532e3bb1e.jpg

For future reference, if those mains don't end up being quite the right size, remember that Huot micro drill but index I showed you? That and my full machinist drill bit set should cover any size needed if you want to drill out those original jets, but you can only drill them larger! I usually like to start mains jetting out on the high side and go smaller to avoid any lean condition.

I think those Mikuni Small Round Mains will work, but I suspect it would not work the other way around if you needed the small round mains and you tried to fit large round mains???

Unfortunately for me, there is a 3rd type of Mikuni main jets that the PE250 uses for it's VM 36 carb (or is it a 38?). It is a hex shape and it is quite a bit different than those, so I can't just swap jets from my street bikes!
I suppose you're busy packing, but since it rained yesterday at the trails all day according to my friends camping there, I'm going riding street instead down that direction if you are free

There are three main jets that we use in our bikes. N4/042 Hex are flow rated so double the size gives double the flow.

Round mains are rated differently. They are mm rated ie the size is the diameter, so double the size equals 4 times the flow. They also have a different thread than hex jets to make sure that you don't use the wrong jets.

Small rounds N102.221 I believe flow slightly differently because of the shape of the orifice. In your place I would just order 4 new large round main jets N100/604.

As Murray at Murray's carbs (CXMan) he will probably know for sure.

Thanks for the details man. I was sure I double checked before placing my order but was rushing and using my cell phone to order so I can see some room for me to make that mistake.
I’m leaning towards buying the correct ones now but I heeded your advice and messaged Murray to get a definite answer. Float valves, needles and other parts aren’t here yet so I’ve got a little time to determine if I need to put in another jets order.

I messaged Murray(cxman)

“the only time it affects anything is

if you have a brass diffuser that the smaller head jet wont hold in place

or the overall height is shorter it does have to make it to the fuel in the bowl”

This was good news to me! Should be a-ok on that mistake. Partzilla order should arrive tomorrow. I’ll be able to finally button up the carbs by the end of the week.

We recently bought a house and finally moved in last Saturday. I’ve been off work (and will be until the 18th when I start with CFD). Being off has been nice but have been quite busy getting things all moved and set up at our new place. My fiancé is currently 33weeks pregnant and is busy making a baby so she is delegating work for me (mounting new lighting/ceiling fans, painting, setting up furniture for the babies room, and carrying boxes up/down stairs). I’m loving the new place so far. Downgrade on the garage size but we have a security system here, an automatic garage door, and it’s insulated. Just last night I began moving the majority of my stuff over and getting it set up.
85c17092e0b6e1a8d4b6a05fc939b255.jpg

And the Mac 4-1 that Chuck gifted me with for this build.(not sure if I mentioned this in previous posts)

fba8a63f1584280d38c46ec1ef00c85d.jpg

The clock is ticking buddy, get that thing together before AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days weekend, you've got just over 1 month!!!!

Then you can ride it a bit and decide wether you'll stick to the original plan of flipping the 100hp scary fast ~535lb behemoth, or see how well you like the monstrous arm-ripping beast (with the revised geometry, it shouldn't feel terribly heavy when riding) & make that meticulously restored beauty a keeper or gift for your dad!

C'mon, we've got riding to do, it's been a 1.5 years since we've had a good srreet ride together (ninja/cb750 days and lastly when the 450 regulator failed 75 miles from home after ripping those twisty routes 668 and 669!)
PE175 dirt ride soon????

Best wishes bud, and don't forget Andy has that stock MAC baffle in his garage from when I gifted him my V&H 4-1 to put on his GS750 instead of the MAC... I'd get that baffle and go crazy with a 1/4" drill bit in your drill press that I have here for your pickup when you drop off that spare 1100 D-Port top end! Perforate that chambered baffle with at least 35 - 60 holes or more (to your liking) to give it some better growl!

Keep it up man, one of these days you'll have that GS550 (& maybe CB550?) ripping, too! And also remember I have 3 spare GS550 engines if that top end is no good. The 550 cylinders and pistons I have here (already pulled) are great, the head needs a valve job tho (typical, due to neglected valve adjustments)...
I think the 673cc top end will be the better bet however if you ride that arm ripping 1100, the 450 and 550 may seem turtle slow afterwards! The 673 top end with raised intake runner/closed chamber head&piston design will pack a LOT more punch than just the 125cc displacement increase would have you thinking...
And... I may get off of one of my 2 spare sets of Wiseco custom made K740 pistons for ya, also! 740cc 10.25:1 closed chamber head GS550... This will be the ultimate all around vintage bike in my opinion... KZ750E with GPz/Wiseco top end would be the other choice (Grant's bike, & Regan's minus the top end mods), and the GS engine will be WAAAYYY tougher, no plain bearing bottom or weak connecting rods to worry about!
Ramble ramble... what more would you expect out of me?!?!

JustinLonghorn said:
Good to see you getting all set up, my man.

Thanks man. It’s been busy month but we love the house. Nearly everyday there is a moment we look around in disbelief that it’s OUR HOUSE. Crazy shit!
Life’s on the up and I feel extremely lucky.

VMD is not looking likely. I think the academy will be stealing my soul very soon. Then, that baby boy!

Chuck78 said:
.....or gift for your dad!

That would be sick. Even though it seems like a Japanese v-twin is more his style (and more comfortable due to back problems). If he at least takes it for a spin that’ll make me happy.

Chuck78 said:
C'mon, we've got riding to do, it's been a 1.5 years since we've had a good street ride together.
The 450 is up and running, has insurance and tags too. It needs a valve adjustment but it can handle some rides for sure!

Chuck78 said:
PE175 dirt ride soon????

I’m up for Sunday.

Chuck78 said:
Best wishes bud, and don't forget Andy has that stock MAC baffle in his garage ....Perforated that chambered baffle with at least 35 - 60 holes or more (to your liking) to give it some better growl!

Sounds like fun actually. And good practice with the drill press too.

Back
Top Bottom