1981 SR250 CAFE BUILD

bud. said:
How's the build going brother?

Also wanted to ask- do those door-stops hold the tank in there pretty firm? I'd like to drop down the front of my tank on my 250, but I'm having a hard time finding the right rubbers..

hey man... the door stops work just fine.. i had to bolt them in place but it was an easy drill/bolt move.

the build has slowed right down...

stripped the tank though.. been real busy doing this: www.garage-artists.com ... and a bike film festival! too much time online! ;)

hows you?

Attachments

• 1 LONDON.jpg
    1 LONDON.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 1,085
  • final.jpg
    final.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 1,143
  • 154618_10151339041081970_403801909_n.jpg
    154618_10151339041081970_403801909_n.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 1,116
DesmoBro said:
Do You happen to have a link to the Factory Service manual for this little beast ?

er. yeah i do... cant recall whwre.. i did post a massive list of service manuals on DTT try "FREE MANUALS" in search box.. or google "carl salter"...

luke

SO

the frame is de tabbed ... the tank is stripped and filled, the seat pan is made and the front fender chopped

BUT

then took of the top end and WOOOOAHHHH!!! so what to do? new top end? or just bin the project, keep/sell the parts and look for a new sr250 donor?

advice?

Attachments

• DSC07646.JPG
    DSC07646.JPG
    110.6 KB · Views: 1,132
Just grab a new piston and check the valves. It should be cheap enough to fix.
There is a 350 engine that fits but I don't remember the model.

beware just putting a new piston etc in, all the crud that used to be the top of your piston went somewhere and not all of it was considerate enough to go straight to the oil filter and stay there. the crank is straight below that hole so a fair chunk of piston may well have mixed itself thru the relevant bearings in that area.

the 350 motor you're after may well be the DR350

Agreed Spotty, if anything like an exploded piston happens a full tear down is always needed.
DR350 sounds like the one.

How are you with engines Milky?

bvander said:
Agreed Spotty, if anything like an exploded piston happens a full tear down is always needed.
DR350 sounds like the one.

How are you with engines Milky?

thanks chaps... i'm okay with simpe engines i think...

i split the engine case open and i cant see and obvious damage on a spot check... my temptation is to go for a new engine

a dr 350 sounds good.. a bit more oomph...

i have a feeling as i go deeper into the engine i will find more and more damage from the detonation! beware lean burning..

at least i got a decent tank, forks fenders frame and bits...

gonna research the dr350 now

thanks again... i love this shit.

spotty said:
beware just putting a new piston etc in, all the crud that used to be the top of your piston went somewhere and not all of it was considerate enough to go straight to the oil filter and stay there. the crank is straight below that hole so a fair chunk of piston may well have mixed itself thru the relevant bearings in that area.

the 350 motor you're after may well be the DR350

thanks mate.. see reply above...

i reckon a new engine is betetr... the deeper i go the more damage there might be... doing this on low low budget so better go steady...

thanks again

if i can get a dr350 engine.. gonna rename her.. YAMUKI?

the project just got more "interdasting" ;)

Now that I look harder it is the BW350. They have a 200 as well. Should be a straight swap.

The warrior 350 piston fits in the jug. Makes a 312cc motor. The case, the cylinder bore and the piston itself need machining though. Head, crank, valves etc can be left alone.

Back
Top Bottom