Comstars + gsx-r front end

not that much but what diameter rotors are you using ?

yours look like they are "hitting" much closer to the center of the rim

Right now they're at the stock position which is 310 diameter but honestly they weren't even fully bolted down when I took the photos... the plan was to use 5mm spacer on the calipers for 320 rotors. Not sure how big one can go on rotor diameter but the calipers would clear if there was a lot more diameter. It also seems my hub is 10mm wider than some other comstars, which might explain why some were successful where I am not. hopefully I'm not SOL on this effort.

well tighten the calipers down at the right spacing then see where you are

THose are 4 pot calipers, like on a Ninja. They have pistons on both sides. You can't use those. The only way to use that front end is to use the wheels that came with it.

i m running the 4 piston tokico calipers on my cx500 with a 650 off a gsxr

now that i look at it are you sure you cant swap them side to side so they fit better? or is that a illusion

can you put the word label on the inside? will the rotor still center

This front end and caliper set up will not work with Comstars. You can't space them out. You can't flip them. Its a setup made for a completely different type rim. If they were side mount, you could space them. A GSXR front end it totally different. You can't compare your setup to this one.

The Tokico have a side mount that allows you to machine a bracket that pulls the caliper out and just rotates the caliper counterclockwise on the rotor.

IMG_0934MediumSmall.jpg

This style front end doesn't allow for that.

cxman said:
mine is a 04 gsxr front end?
If you have a functioning solution for the same style front end caliper mount, then show him some pics. I'd like to see to, because when I've tried this before I couldn't find a solution.

rs_ss350 said:
Actually... the rims are too wide for the calipers... what can be done about this? One of the early posts in this thread shows a comstar with these calipers. Can i swap the forks to pull the calipers out a little? Or anything else can be done?

Thanks!
Damn that sucks man. I think I warned you about this a few pages back. I don't think you can sand that much off the caliper to make it work. There was a build thread where someone cut down his calipers with success, I'll try to find it. I'm not recommending that but hey if it works in combination with sanding down the ribs on the comstars then good. I knew some of the comstars had changed so I'm glad you double checked everything. It looks like you have dual caliper comstars even if the setup was only one when you got it. Mine is a single caliper rim which would account for the differences.
Well good luck, I'm hoping you get this all worked out. I'm still here to help out if you need. I'd like to do this on a future build of mine.

i posted a bunch on the first page of this

a 04 gsxr fromt end with calipers and a 1982 gl1100 comstar wheel

the bike is on the road and driven daily for the last 3 years by its owner in maryland

What's the difference in dimensions of those Tokico calipers and the Ninja calipers? Are those mounting holes a common spread? If those Tokico work, then maybe this is as simple as swapping calipers. Are the front ends similar widths?

ok i dont know the answers to all that i have not done that much research

that was the first one i did

i have used a few other ones of the same vintage

i have used a couple of busa front ends and some cbr ones

i use the same set up with the same comstar wheel and it all works

i only had ot figure out the dimensions once and the guy i get to do the adapters just makes them now

if there are particulars you want i can measure them for you off the bike

erock85 said:
Damn that sucks man.

I was discouraged yesterday but not so much today. Thanks for sticking around, I do have more questions, like for spacers. I'm kind of committed to making this work now. Just want to make sure all the parts being machined are properly measured for this different wheel I'm working with.

I refit everything today, and I think the 5mm spacer will help a bit, and then some sanding.

I also read that there's a set of newer brembos from a gsx that have the same bolt pattern (108mm i believe) and I wonder if the dimensions on those may be more forgiving. Will do some more digging on that ones, but if anyone here has a set of those and can provide measurements that would be great.

cxman said:
ok i dont know the answers to all that i have not done that much research

that was the first one i did

i have used a few other ones of the same vintage

i have used a couple of busa front ends and some cbr ones

i use the same set up with the same comstar wheel and it all works

i only had ot figure out the dimensions once and the guy i get to do the adapters just makes them now

if there are particulars you want i can measure them for you off the bike

Thanks! I think the sanding might work after refitting them today... I will have some more questions soon

i thought they would look better pulled into line

if i remember i took just over a 16 th off the corner on a taper off teh caliper

then a bit off the spoke flange to allow for any wheel twist

Most Tokico and Nissin radial calipers are 108mm. Brembo's and some aftermarket calipers tend to be 100mm. The 6-piston radials on the newer R1's and Vmax 1700 are something like 120mm. You could try a different caliper with the same mounting centers but I highly doubt you'll gain much spoke clearance as they are all opposed piston styles.

Also if you need more diameter than 320mm disk, the CBR929/954 use 330mm rotors, I believe.

Later, Doug

irk miller said:
You don't really need the dust seals. It has sealed bearings.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to have dust seals as well on a street bike. You may accidentally wash wheels and get soap/water in bearings as the bearing seals are very thin and light (<0.5mm).
On race bike, use shielded bearings without seals for lower rolling resistance ;) (may not be a big deal on larger bikes but the less power you have the more 'help' things need)
I've got some GSXR forks and rotors (but not the radial mount type :( ) plus a CB900 Comstar front wheel, could probably knock out spacers for a lot less than $3~400 -BUT, can't do them for at least a month or so.
I don't have CNC so will be 'by hand' (although I did train as a precision machinist before CNC was a 'thing' )

Pretty sure you can't take enough off caliper to clear those spokes?

Back
Top Bottom