www.bisonmotorsports.com

www.speedmotoco.com

www.cognitomoto.com

www.townmoto.com

www.sparckmoto.com

www.Moto-Madness.com

www.pistonsociety.com

www.steeltowngarage.com

Author Topic: The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550- New Electrical  (Read 152368 times)

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
  • You think the Carpet Pissers did this?
The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550- New Electrical
« on: May 09, 2009, 14:02:38 »
So I came up on a deal i couldn't resist. Got these two rollers for under three hundred. The one with a motor is a '74 the other a '72. I plan on doing a full build and parting out the remainder of the pieces. Right now I am gathering inspiration and setting a budget. I'll slowly obtain parts over the summer and once late fall comes along... its off to the races. Let me know what you think... any ideas for a tank etc.

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550 - NEEDS A STATOR
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 00:30:17 »
So I need a Stator to make sure that this thing fires up and has compression. Any one our there have one they are willing to get rid of? I need the whole assembly.

Offline Mustangsean

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 10:50:38 »
So I need a Stator to make sure that this thing fires up and has compression. Any one our there have one they are willing to get rid of? I need the whole assembly.

I've probably got one I can dig up.  Send me an email at seanbelushi at hotmail dot com, and we'll talk about it.

Sean

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2009, 12:03:00 »
I've probably got one I can dig up.  Send me an email at seanbelushi at hotmail dot com, and we'll talk about it.

Sean

Thanks man! PM Sent.

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550 - NITROGEN SHOCKS vs. OIL ???
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2009, 12:29:06 »
I have been talking parts and shit over with my wrenching hommies... this will definitely not be my last question like this but can someone please let me know why I would want to consider Nitrogen Shocks as opposed to stock oil? I cant get a good enough response. So far I am leaning towards keeping (well actually replacing) the stock shocks but there are just too many sick builds here that have nitro shocks to not consider them.

sXe

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
Re: The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550
« Reply #5 on: Jun 25, 2009, 12:11:47 »
...giving the thread a little bump...

Got the following for pretty cheap:
Tank - going to use for a tunnel mold, cap and petcock mount
Exhaust - headers will be used to make exhaust.
Stator
Rack of carbs - picked these up for 60 bucks!!!

Slow and steady wins the race here.

Offline DoubleL3

« Reply #6 on: Jun 25, 2009, 13:57:21 »
the nice thing about nitrogen filled shocks is that you could buy a bottle of compressed nitrogen and fill/adjust your shocks at your leisure very easily, most moto-cross, atv, and baja cars use nitrogen filled shocks  because of their lower weight while still providing a lot of displacement over an oil shock

hope this can help you chose, i think i would just stick with the stock oil filled shocks if they work, unless your planning on racing your bike
GO GATORS!

-Luther
1981 KZ550A "553"

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #7 on: Jun 25, 2009, 16:01:57 »
the nice thing about nitrogen filled shocks is that you could buy a bottle of compressed nitrogen and fill/adjust your shocks at your leisure very easily, most moto-cross, atv, and baja cars use nitrogen filled shocks  because of their lower weight while still providing a lot of displacement over an oil shock

hope this can help you chose, i think i would just stick with the stock oil filled shocks if they work, unless your planning on racing your bike

Thanks for the info man. I have been waiting for that answer :-).

Offline DoubleL3

« Reply #8 on: Jun 25, 2009, 17:27:08 »
glad i could help
GO GATORS!

-Luther
1981 KZ550A "553"

Offline sxecafe

• DTT SUPPORTER
« Reply #9 on: Jul 08, 2009, 12:23:05 »
Thread Bump:

I got alot of parts in this last week.

Got my exhaust in last night. I got a set for like $15 bucks off the bay. I only intend to us the headers and continue to build my exhaust from the coupler.

Got a set of hand controls and a head light bucket all for $40 shipped. The start button doesn't have a recoil to it. In other words; if you push it in, it stays there. I see there is like a little plastic "Z" shape thats broken in there. Anyone know if you can replace that?

Got a doner tank also. I am planning on using it to glass the tunnel so I can build a tank and then I was hoping I could actually use it for the second frame I have but there are some pin holes and enough rust on the bottom that I dont think that will work.

I am waiting for my carbs and a stator coil and then maybe I can start to slowly mock up some things.

One last question, Im having a hard time finding 3M sanding disk for a die grinder. My Home Depot sucks ass... anyone?