(Not really) The slowest project ever - CM400T

Alchemist

Hey,

I haven't really been posting on this forum and so far I've been posting my progress on caferacer.

Well, I'd like to share my progress with you all, it's a very slow project since I'm too busy to work on it most of the time. I am however trying to finish it in the next 3 weeks or so - at least that's my goal.

Here are all the pictures of the progress so far:

There are no before pictures, but this is what it looked like a few days after I picked it up:
DSCF3942.JPG

DSCF3945.JPG

DSCF3948.JPG

DSCF3949.JPG

At first I had this grand idea that I want it to look more like a sports bike, so I modified the frame to match the seat style I wanted to use.

DSCF3953.JPG

DSCF3954.JPG

DSCF3955.JPG

DSCF3956.JPG

Then I fabricated the seat pan, here's the result I got:

DSC_3660.jpg

DSC_3662.jpg

DSC_3663.jpg

DSC_3664.jpg

DSC_3655.jpg

The tank doesn't flow with the lines of the seat, so I will be changing it once I figure out exactly what I want...

I painted the frame and the wheels, got some new tires on and this is what the bike looked like a few weeks ago:

With the seat and tank slightly raised:
DSC_7974.jpg

Without the seat:
DSC_7975.jpg

Measuring height for new shocks:
DSC_7977.jpg

This was taken yesterday:
DSCF4094.JPG

DSCF4095.JPG

DSCF4097.JPG

DSCF4098.JPG

DSCF4100.JPG

DSCF4101.JPG

I still got a lot to do on the bike, but I'll try to keep both forums up to date.

Here is a pic from Page 8:
DSC_6573.jpg

Re: Slowest project ever - CM400T

Good effort man, that rear cowl with the LEDs is magic! Looking very clean, be good to see what it ends up like.

Cheers - boingk

i want to see pictures of the kitchen floor!

Uniac said:
i want to see pictures of the kitchen floor!

ahaha, he's referring to me being dumbass and carrying my motor through my kitchen while holding it by the carbs. The carb mounts broke and the motor made a giant gaping hole in the tile... It's been fixed =)

That is looking soooo good man. I can't wait to see more. I especially like the engine paint scheme. Keep it up!

Some updates:

Finished sanding down the fins, they came out alright... the fins are a bit thinner than on other bikes and it's hard to get the lines perfect because of that. I used 120 grid for sanding.

Now, I need advice.
Below is a picture of a '96 GSXR seat as a mock-up. This type of seat is one of the options I'm considering. Having a seat like this will likely mean that I'll either:
a) need to chop the frame down even more and have it as a bit of a bobber style in the back
b) make a cover to the end of the frame and perhaps hide the battery in there...
DSCF4103.JPG

DSCF4104.JPG

DSCF4109.JPG

Here's my other option:
Staying with the seat I fabbed before and modifying my tank a bit. The seat is too low without any padding, so I carved this out a while ago, and it's actually very confortable. I also kind of like this look, it's a bit more sporty, but I think it suits the bike. The biggest problem is the tank as it doesn't match the style now. Just to mention I will modify the bottom lines of the seat a bit more in the future to match the frame cut-off better.
DSCF4110.JPG

DSCF4112.JPG

DSCF4113.JPG

DSCF4115.JPG

Here's what it looks like with me on the bike
DSCF4116.JPG

What do you guys think? Should I go for a short solo seat or stay with the style I made earlier?
If I go with the short solo, then what can I do for the back of the frame to make it look good?
If I go with the seat pan I made earlier, should I modify the tank or get a new tank, or just leave it as is?

Thanks.

Re: Slowest project ever - CM400T - NEED OPINIONS (bottom of p1)

I like the solo seat. I wouldn't change a thing.

Personally, I really like the look of the seat you made, along with the existing tank. Especially with the LED integrated into it. It will be hard to top that.
Good luck!

GIJoeBob said:
I like the solo seat. I wouldn't change a thing.

I wasn't really clear, both seats are solo. So lets just call them GSXR and Custom. Which one?

Or if some of you don't like either and would prefer cafe style seat please let me know as well =)

Alchemist said:
I wasn't really clear, both seats are solo. So lets just call them GSXR and Custom. Which one?

Or if some of you don't like either and would prefer cafe style seat please let me know as well =)
I like the last one you posted.

Its funny you put this up there cause I was looking at my seat situation about an hour ago and again had the gut feeling that this bike looks best with a solo bobber type seat on it. The frame lines are just too weird to get it to look good with a cafe seat. I vote for the GXSR seat. That low clip on front with a bobber-esq seat is just so cool looking.

I like the foam seat with the current tank. If you were to change anything from the current setup, I'd keep the custom seat and swap on a larger tank from a bigger bike.

i like the seat you made. maybe try to find a boxier tank. cb400F ish or cb200

I like the seat you made with the current tank. If anything, I'd a little more foam to the front side of the seat near the tank so it can blend alittle bit more into the tank, but really like the look with the tank and the tail. Keep it!

I'm for the bobber style GSXR or one along those lines. The thing I love about CX's is that fat back wheel and the way the frame rides so high with a bob tail, maybe you could trim a back fender in to a small tongue to cover the messy left over frame? It'd be a shame to waste all the good work on your tail piece and LED's but there will be other bikes. You look like your having fun, keep at it!

Updates!

I remember someone asking me for front tire size... front tire is 110/90-18

Thanks to my good friend Derek, my gas tank was sandblasted by a pro and then it was sitting in my house for 2 weeks - started to rust again. Today I had a chance to clean it all up and paint it.

The paint I used was Metal Flake. I don't think there was any colour in it really, I just put copious amounts of this stuff until it started looking looking solid consistency. It's BRIGHT under the sun. I love it.

90% of people agreed that the tail I made better suits the bike, so I went with it. Thank you all for voting.
I also need to mention that the rear light is not all the way in, because once it clips in I'll have a hard time removing it again. I put it in just to show you guys.

Here are some pics:
DSCF4118.JPG

DSCF4119.JPG

DSCF4120.JPG

DSCF4122.JPG

DSCF4125.JPG

I also got a new speedomoter, it's got turn-signals, oil sensor, gas gauge, emergency lights, tach and speedo. As well as a bunch of really neat settings. It was only $129 also! I don't know why more people don't run these.

It's made by Acewell and I bought it here:
http://www.electrosport.com/street/speedometers.php

DSCF4127.JPG

DSCF4128.JPG

DSCF4129.JPG

I also cut my fender, will paint it soon and throw it on the bike.
DSCF4131.JPG

Re: Slowest project ever - CM400T - Paint and stuff, updates - P2

that frame could accept a bobber style of seat with springs and the like....that would be cool! but your seat and tail now and lookin rad too. How long are those shocks eye-to-eye and where you get em??

gribbs said:
that frame could accept a bobber style of seat with springs and the like....that would be cool! but your seat and tail now and lookin rad too. How long are those shocks eye-to-eye and where you get em??

Thanks. The shocks are 365mm (14 3/8"") eye to clevis. I got them at partsnmore.com

That looks great! I love the combo gauge. I think I will look into that for my bike.

Back
Top Bottom