HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

Ok I think custom making exhaust is my new most favourite thing to do building a bike. Painting things is number two, sanding things for paint is number ass!

I'm having fun with making the rear pipe which others have complained about. Cutting the frame has definitely made things easier and I am glad I did it. I'm one cut away on the rear to wait on the decision of how I am placing the mufflers. I measured and I can make the rear equal length no problem so that's good fore a few exta ponies.. The rear exhaust is going to be twisty though! Inspiration of making the rear exhaust comes from the yz450f if you are into dirt biking..

yz450f_pipe_motor.jpg

Attachments

• 20131111_205728 (Medium).jpg
    20131111_205728 (Medium).jpg
    116 KB · Views: 584
  • 20131111_212728_HDR (Medium).jpg
    20131111_212728_HDR (Medium).jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 565
  • 20131111_212753 (Medium).jpg
    20131111_212753 (Medium).jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 605
  • 20131111_212810 (Medium).jpg
    20131111_212810 (Medium).jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 608
Re: Re: HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

Cuba Libre said:
I'm following this. Looks interesting!

M.

Wait till you see what I have mapped out for the lower part of the rear exhaust. Much more radical twists to come!

I investigated what would need to happen for the kz wheels to swap in. It's actually fairly easy.

But it has pros and cons.

Pros. I have the wheels and they are in pristine shape. The xv swing arm is considerably wider than the kz so one could fit a 140+ tire easily. The spoked wheels look a lot better. I get a rear disk too vs drum.

Cons. I really don't want to use tubes because I'm trying to save weight in this build as part of the overall goals. I was actually going to weigh the parts for the final difference. Another con is rotational mass. My dirt bike runs a tubeless setup and there is a noticeable acceleration difference. It's more work, I will need to fab up new brake mounts front and back and buy a second rotor for the front, need to make a new front axel and a couple spacers. Then I will need to fab a rear master mount and brake signal.

Sorry there are no new updates this weekend. I got into trouble drinking too much at a all you drink event. It slowed me down from spending the day in the garage.

What I did do is spend the time researching v twin exhaust design. It made my head spin as there are too many opinions and after digesting it all I ended up in the exact same place as my original plan of equal length save an inch on the rear due to the extra bends.

1.75 inches may be a tad too big but once I mod the engine, head work or xv 1100 jugs the exhaust will be fine.
This coming weekend I have 3 days off so I will get lots done.

Looks great, can't wait to see any updates.

As for the tank, you say it is a super easy fit, any info or pictures on how you have or will install it? I have one myself for my XV750 and would be interested in your way of mounting it.

Not to get too far ahead, but are you planning on using the triangular aluminium pieces for the foot pegs, exhaust mounts & rear brake cyl mount? I ask becuse they are rather clunky and since you have opened up the rear of the engine so much perhaps you can fab a more elegant solution?

stidds said:
Looks great, can't wait to see any updates.

As for the tank, you say it is a super easy fit, any info or pictures on how you have or will install it? I have one myself for my XV750 and would be interested in your way of mounting it.

You're gonna love this.. My machinist buddy calls me "zero engineering" because I have less than desirable engineering skills compared to a machinist. For the record zero engineering actually exists in Japan.... Lol.

Custom mount for the top bolt and a door spring to hold the rear. :)

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1384832580641.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384832580641.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 1,898
  • uploadfromtaptalk1384832595134.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1384832595134.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 1,971
rundown said:
Not to get too far ahead, but are you planning on using the triangular aluminium pieces for the foot pegs, exhaust mounts & rear brake cyl mount? I ask becuse they are rather clunky and since you have opened up the rear of the engine so much perhaps you can fab a more elegant solution?

I have been thinking about what to do there. Funny thing is I used to hate them but now they are starting to grow on me, especially after removing the black paint. But as I am looking at rear set options my creativity is starting to wander. The problem is they double as you mentioned the mounts for the exhaust hangers and brake but they hold the swing arm so there is a bit more to them than making adaptors for rear sets like on other bikes. It's something that will require deep thought and copious amounts of caffeine to design a replacement. I was thinking of making something new with frame tubing ala ducati and ktm and I was thinking a easy way out might be to lace them them in carbon fibre.

HollywoodMX said:
Custom mount for the top bolt and a door spring to hold the rear. :)

Would you elaborate on this please and can you post some photos from the side with the tank fitted in place? This sounds far too easy...
Will the spring be adequate? You don't want the tank bouncing about.

M.

Re: Re: Re: HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

Cuba Libre said:
Would you elaborate on this please and can you post some photos from the side with the tank fitted in place? This sounds far too easy...

M.

It's that easy. The bolt alone holds things tight the spring is there to counter the bolt tightness slightly. The pads on the tank touch the frame pads. Now I did grind the frame slightly to make the tank sit flat.

The thread already has pics you are asking about.

Cuba Libre said:
If he rubber mounts the tank, the spring idea will actually counter vibration. Olde school used a leather strap on tanks. You do not want to hard bolt them down, as vibration with micro-crack the tank.
Springs are also useful for exhaust headers where vibration loosens bolts.

Re: Re: Re: HollywoodMX's xv920/TR1 Cafe super-dupe!

caferay said:
If he rubber mounts the tank, the spring idea will actually counter vibration. Olde school used a leather strap on tanks. You do not want to hard bolt them down, as vibration with micro-crack the tank.
Springs are also useful for exhaust headers where vibration loosens bolts.

I should also mention I used a rubber washer on the top tank bolt too to help with vibration.

So while I haven't been making build progress I have been doing research. I really wanted to leave the forks and swingarm alone in the build but I can't help myself. I want the modern updates mostly to replace the wheels.

Based on that I would make the effort to replace the forks wheels and brakes but I wanted to try to avoid replacing the swingarm. So research had to take place.

So I have done that. The tr1 swingarm is actually extremely wide. It's wider than the 07 R1 actually by an inch. There is room front and back as well. So now I'm sold on this direction as a 180+ rear will fit no problem.

Here are some examples.

Ps now I have baked this new direction I'm ready to move on with the exhaust. I put it on hold because if I was going to swap swingarm my exhaust would need to route differently. So I attack that tomorrow.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1385172122251.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385172122251.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 594
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385172101781.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385172101781.jpg
    149.3 KB · Views: 574
  • uploadfromtaptalk1385172090587.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1385172090587.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 2,387
I don't know how "good" you are with carbon fiber, but that might be the material of choice to get as many pick ups (rear sets, exhaust, swing arm bracing) as you want at a fractin of the weight and with a new looK??

The bottom picture, number 80, is lovely. However, even wearing leathers that must get a bit uncomfortable? I see it looks like he has drilled his seat hump to allow some of the heat to escape. I should think either tape or a pipe guard, and probably both, would be neccesary for street use.

rundown said:
I don't know how "good" you are with carbon fiber, but that might be the material of choice to get as many pick ups (rear sets, exhaust, swing arm bracing) as you want at a fractin of the weight and with a new looK??

Ya I will see what I can do with the CF. Im sure I will swearing at some point.. oh and the sanding :'(... ;)

Got some updates here. I have the modern swap nailed down to either 08 gsxr 600/750 forks and wheels or 2001 Yamaha YZF600R forks and wheels. The YZF is going to be around 500 bucks cheaper. Both include the brakes, etc, Now I do have money for the newer stuff but I don't gratuitously spend it. I think I spent 1300 on my R1 parts for my kz so this swap is already quite a bit cheaper. I am swinging more towards the gxr due to newer the newer stuff and lots of available parts.

2001 Yamaha YZF600R

PROS

- The YZF will be a bit of an easier rear swap sprocket alignment wise due to the 160 rear tire.
- NON USD Forks will take fork gators!!
- Almost half the price.
- Comes with tires (cant tell if they are any good though).

CONS
- Conventional forks.
- 160 rear tire.
- Older by 7 years.
- Wheels look heavier.

2008 GSXR 600/750

PROS

- I really like the GSXR wheels!
- 180 rear tire.
- Monoblocks and monoblock swaps.
- USD forks.
- Better suspension performance.
- New (fresher!)
- Forks are 738mm!! Good for vintage swap.
- Lots of aftermarket wheel options.

CONS

- I'm not sure for both swaps but for the gsxr I will need to mod the front sprocket to create an offset.
- $500 more expensive, that money could go to FCR carbs!

A couple street fighter pics of each wheels. I picked SF cause you can see the wheels more. YZF first, GSXR second.

Attachments

• 20120829_211022.jpg
    20120829_211022.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 1,406
  • two240s_after.jpg
    two240s_after.jpg
    492.6 KB · Views: 2,106
I also made some build progress!!

First I got rid of the center stand part of the frame. That's right! More choppidy chop chop! Why? Cause it was in the way of my equal length rear exhaust routing. I had to take off the kick stand cause it was in the way of grind off the center stand part of the frame. The kickstand was in a state of grossness. 100 years of dripping lithium chain grease is my guess so I gave it a clean and a quick polish.

I got back to the rear exhaust and welded the next piece. Then the next set of pieces I have half ready and decided to tackle the right side first to make sure my left side pipe doesn't get in the way of the complex rear routing.

Attachments

• 20131124_145734 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_145734 (Medium).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 2,236
  • 20131124_145638 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_145638 (Medium).jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2,274
  • 20131124_164002 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_164002 (Medium).jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 699
  • 20131124_164024 (Medium).jpg
    20131124_164024 (Medium).jpg