Would you buy this cx500?

So you have recommendations from the great surffly and tuna-fish to not get this bike. Aren't you lucky to have such great advice?

I say buy the bike if you like it. It's a good price and a decent donor platform. As long as you don't hack it all apart and mono-shock it, you will have a solid bike. History has shown that these two guys never have anything nice or constructive to say, so take it with a grain of salt. Only thing missing is a comment from xb33bsa, and you would have heard from all three douchebags.

sbaugz said:
So you have recommendations from the great surffly and tuna-fish to not get this bike. Aren't you lucky to have such great advice?

I say buy the bike if you like it. It's a good price and a decent donor platform. As long as you don't hack it all apart and mono-shock it, you will have a solid bike. History has shown that these two guys never have anything nice or constructive to say, so take it with a grain of salt. Only thing missing is a comment from xb33bsa, and you would have heard from all three douchebags.

Thanks for your opinion, I appreciate it. I definitely don't plan on monoshocking it lol

And yeah, I try not to let people like that bother me. There's guys like that on every forum. People who have no say or importance in the real world, so they use the Internet as a microphone. Being nice to everyone gets you a lot farther in this world....

Meh, this is the internet....it isn't real life and nothing actually happens here.
So not blowing rainbows up somones butt and telling them how great a deal they could get is being a d bag? Bet you always won a tee ball too.....

Like I said, if you just want an old bike to mess with then just take what's right in front of you. Bikes are tools though. Is this the best tool for the job you want to do?
Don't be the guy that claims any of these bikes are rare or hard to find. Don't claim you really want xxxx but can't find it so you will settle for yyy. Also 100% stand by my statement that taking apart a bike to "build" it as step one is stupid. I also 10000% stand by my statement that the CX is junk at what some still think a cafe racer actually is. Not some new fangled idea of a chopper that all the hipsters are copying from pipeburn. Show me one cafe CX that had its performance improved in a measurable way. Don't show me some dick that put an R1 front end on a bike.
Funny how much some get butthurt when they see an open discussion....

The CX500 has always been thought of as an ugly bike and to be honest it is. But we don't all like the same type of beer and are attracted to very different shapes of women, so if you like it, that's all good.

They were never a great performance bike either and have some design constraints that make them more of a challenge, but like most old bikes they can be improved.

That one is such a time capsule that I would be tempted to clean it up and either ride the wheels off it for a year or two or flip it. If I wanted a bike to ride long miles on cheaply that one could be a good start. If I had no interest in riding far, I'd flip it.

So that takes us back to what a cafe racer is all about. It's not really about cafes or racing but it is about emulating teh style of a race bike and that means going back to basics. Race bikes at the level that most of us race, are not all that fast compared to any modern production bike and they don't handle very well either - or stop.

So the idea is to make the most of the bike we have. We are trying to improve brakes and handling and performance and if we do those things it will probably also end up looking right. Form follows function as they say. Unfortunately most of the bikes we see on pipeburn and so on are less effective as motorcycles than stock. We don't see a lot of well thought out bikes that work well. Lots of pretty and shiny and trendy, but not a lot of good bikes. To be fair though, no one here uses all the performance of their bike. Even those of us that race don't often take our bikes to the limit but we do like them to look good. So there is always a balance between form and function and we all find different equilibrium points and those points change over time.

What you decide to do is up to you. Enjoy what you do and be safe and try to get input form people who understand how motorcycles actually work. There are people on here and in the real world that are worth listening to and lots of decent books as sources of inspiration.

surffly said:
Meh, this is the internet....it isn't real life and nothing actually happens here.
So not blowing rainbows up somones butt and telling them how great a deal they could get is being a d bag? Bet you always won a tee ball too.....

Like I said, if you just want an old bike to mess with then just take what's right in front of you. Bikes are tools though. Is this the best tool for the job you want to do?
Don't be the guy that claims any of these bikes are rare or hard to find. Don't claim you really want xxxx but can't find it so you will settle for yyy. Also 100% stand by my statement that taking apart a bike to "build" it as step one is stupid. I also 10000% stand by my statement that the CX is junk at what some still think a cafe racer actually is. Not some new fangled idea of a chopper that all the hipsters are copying from pipeburn. Show me one cafe CX that had its performance improved in a measurable way. Don't show me some dick that put an R1 front end on a bike.
Funny how much some get butthurt when they see an open discussion....

It's not necessarily what you said here that makes you a d-bag. It's the crap you spew out on every single post you make on this forum. How do you feel about yourself? Seems like you have some pent up frustration or depression or something. I just feel sorry for people like you that are so negative.

surffly said:
I wouldn't take a CX500 if it came with $1000 cash!
Then you're a fuckin moron.

Out of the god-knows-how-fucking-many motorcycles have owned and ridden over the last twenty years, the CX500s I have owned (3)
were the most underestimated, understated, and absolute best all around bikes for the simple purpose of pleasure riding. If you can't adjust to the characteristics of the bike, maybe you just arent a very good rider.

I am constantly on the lookout for a deal on one. I think they are great looking bikes. So fuck off :D

P.S. the engines will exceed 200,000 miles with no major failure if you maintain them. PLEASE buy it, build it, and shove it down these haters throats.

Chill out guys. You don't have to agree with each other, but there is no need for the last couple of posts. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and their own way of saying it, so let's try to get along. If not it's open season on anyone and everyone and while that may be amusing for the first 5 minutes, it turns most people away.

You don't agree with another post? That's fine. Tell us what you like and leave it at that.

sbaugz said:
So you have recommendation from the great tuna-fish to not get this bike. Aren't you lucky?

Damn right he is! The thing still sucks IMO... funny how big balls are on the interwebs.

It's like my Grandpappy used to say, "If everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be bangin Grandma" ;)

Redbird said:
It's like my Grandpappy used to say, "If everyone liked the same thing, we'd all be bangin Grandma" ;)
See now, it's the winky face at the end of the comment that creates some upper level awkwardness.

teazer said:
The CX500 has always been thought of as an ugly bike and to be honest it is. But we don't all like the same type of beer and are attracted to very different shapes of women, so if you like it, that's all good.

They were never a great performance bike either and have some design constraints that make them more of a challenge, but like most old bikes they can be improved.

That one is such a time capsule that I would be tempted to clean it up and either ride the wheels off it for a year or two or flip it. If I wanted a bike to ride long miles on cheaply that one could be a good start. If I had no interest in riding far, I'd flip it.

So that takes us back to what a cafe racer is all about. It's not really about cafes or racing but it is about emulating teh style of a race bike and that means going back to basics. Race bikes at the level that most of us race, are not all that fast compared to any modern production bike and they don't handle very well either - or stop.

So the idea is to make the most of the bike we have. We are trying to improve brakes and handling and performance and if we do those things it will probably also end up looking right. Form follows function as they say. Unfortunately most of the bikes we see on pipeburn and so on are less effective as motorcycles than stock. We don't see a lot of well thought out bikes that work well. Lots of pretty and shiny and trendy, but not a lot of good bikes. To be fair though, no one here uses all the performance of their bike. Even those of us that race don't often take our bikes to the limit but we do like them to look good. So there is always a balance between form and function and we all find different equilibrium points and those points change over time.

What you decide to do is up to you. Enjoy what you do and be safe and try to get input form people who understand how motorcycles actually work. There are people on here and in the real world that are worth listening to and lots of decent books as sources of inspiration.

Very nicely said, sir.

I happen to think they are rather homely myself, but I also have been on the lookout for a deal on one. Came pretty close not too long ago - but decided to pass. I think you can make any "style" of bike out of anything, though there is no doubt that some starting points are better than others depending on what you want as an end result. That being the case, it is a good plan to assess your skills and budget and time before deciding on your starting point. I am willing to build just about anything this side of engine cases from scratch, so I look at the CX as a challenge to make into what I want, and invariably for me, the purchase price ends up being such a small piece of the financial pie as to be rendered irrelevant. I also have other bikes to ride, so there is no time line I care about. But, if you are looking for a less extensive make-over, it will pay to start out with something a lot closer to what you want as an end result. Plug yourself into those formulas and you should get an idea of whether this is the right bike to start with for what you want to end up with. $500 bucks is damn cheap for a complete running bike, but not if it isn't what you want. Remember there is ALWAYS another girl, and ALWAYS another deal!

I don't think I want to know what that means or how you do ......More interested in hearing about redbird's womenfolk :)

I like CX's. The motor looks a lot like a Moto Guzzi's. I'd always thought to take a bullet proof CX motor and combine some Moto Guzzi stylings. One day I will.

deviant said:
I like CX's. The motor looks a lot like a Moto Guzzi's. I'd always thought to take a bullet proof CX motor and combine some Moto Guzzi stylings. One day I will.

Yeah but your an artist and junk has a purpose.

Back
Top Bottom