78 SR500 Brat tracker

jeremyyyc

Recently picked up arough Sr500 that belonged to my dad then got stolen, then we recently got it back from a friend who bought it after it was released from inpound. Couldn't really decide on a look, taking some aspects from all of them. This is what it looks like when we first got it back. I started cleaning it up a bit and it hadn't ran since 1988 so we got it started up and ive just been riding it around like that. Im going to start taking some stuff off changing some stuff.

Attachments

• old bike small pic.JPG
    old bike small pic.JPG
    753.9 KB · Views: 446
  • cleaner small pic.JPG
    cleaner small pic.JPG
    763.1 KB · Views: 431
Re: 79 SR500 SoCal Brat Tracker

The brakes were not operable bought rebuild kits, the rear was impossible to find so i just cleaned it up and it works fine. The front had dual disk which Ive never seen i think the forks are off a Xs850, I think dual brakes on an Sr500 are a bit much so i removed one side. I got rid of those huge blinkers and replaced them with smaller ones. I threw some K&N air fliters on the carb and crank case breathers. Ordered new tires, bars, grips, bates headlight, and a mini speedometer. ;D Ill have to dive into the wiring harness and clean up whats inside the headlight but the results should be good. The tires are going to have to wait till I get the wheels powder coated.

Attachments

• disk removed.JPG
    disk removed.JPG
    680.8 KB · Views: 430
  • tires.JPG
    tires.JPG
    773.3 KB · Views: 460

Nice choice on the shinko tires. I put the same on my sr500 but haven't ridden it yet.

Nice SR! I have an XT500. Are those tires the 705s? That is what I am planning on running.

Decided to move the fender forward and move the tail light back really happy with how it looks. Still havent gotten a chance to do much, waiting on a VM-36 but as soon as thats on im sending the wheels to get powder coated and throwing on my new tires. Gonna try to put my smaller speedometer with the indicator lights, smaller bates style headlight, and taillight on before July. Hoping to ride the rest of the summer till school starts.

Attachments

• bike fender.jpg
    bike fender.jpg
    606 KB · Views: 535
Re: 78 SR500 SoCal Brat Tracker

Installed new tires and tubes, had the wheels powder coated and im waiting on drilled rotors. Going to shave off the right brake mounts on the forks and polish the legs. Going to install the small headlight and remove the instruments and install the small speedometer this week.

Attachments

• wheels.jpg
    wheels.jpg
    174.1 KB · Views: 505

Wheels look awesome man!

Built my wheels today, put on the rotors that i had hurley209 drill for me really happy with them, jetted my VM36 and took a trip down to cone engineering which was surprisingly a 4 minute ride from my house, everyone in there was super cool. Got the bike together and went on my FIRST real ride all over Orange county. first picture is before the cone with my wheels built up and second is with the reverse cone on, please ignore me in the back round.

Attachments

• blackwheels.jpg
    blackwheels.jpg
    616.2 KB · Views: 439
  • Reverse cone.jpg
    Reverse cone.jpg
    644.3 KB · Views: 538

Cool build! I love how you went from impound junker to badass street tracker in like 2 months with simple but effective mods.

Fill us in on the VM36 jetting - more configurations and opinions documented the better. I have to jet mine.

The tires are Shinko 705's - popular amongst the SR500 crowd these days (I have them on mine) and get good reviews even from BMW enduro riders.

So far my jetting in the Vm36 is a 240 main and a 30 pilot, i havent changed needle hight or any other jets from the stock out of the box settings, i found alot of different settings on the SR forum and adopted them. Im still running rich so im going to go down to a 230 and a 25 pilot and ill post about those settings.

Nice work! I have been thinking about building a high pipe with one of those Cone mufflers.

teledan said:
Nice work! I have been thinking about building a high pipe with one of those Cone mufflers.

i would definitely recommend cone engineering, their cones are high quality and the dudes there are super cool.

That's Balboa right? I live around the area as well, let's go for a ride sometime!

Totally envious. Nice ride! I have to settle for two Sr250 and a XT550 can't seem to catch a decent priced SR500.

still working on jetting, currently running:
Main: 230
pilot:30
Needle : Q-5
Jet Needle : 6FJ6

clip on needle is on top, still have a flat spot and I am waiting on new jets. My bike smokes really bad when its first started and especially after sitting for a while, going to re do the top end this winter maybe even do a big bore kit. Still have the Bates style headlight and smaller tail light i have to throw on but procrastinating on messing with the jungle of wiring inside the headlight.

Back
Top Bottom