meatier tyre

Ben

Been Around the Block
anyone have an opinion on what would make a good replacement set of tyres for a cb500 with stock rims? Heres my naive list o criteria:

want a meatier, fill the fenders look.
tread pattern that does not detract from the vintage
must be of good quaility

any pics of what your run'n appreciated

thanks

Do you want to ride it or just look 'cool'?
Stock rims, are narrow, no more than quarter inch wider than stock tyres, even that will change handling significantly

PJ

+1 with both these guys.

Ben, if you're going for a "fill the fender" look, you could make a hugger fender. Or leave the hubs and spokes natural and paint just the rims with black epoxy. should be able to get an illusion of bigger tires

read through the link, lots of debate, didnt see an outcome really.

Would appreciate peoples experience with this good or bad.

Want to keep the original fenders. would like to model my rebuild after this 750 is a great looking bike with shorter shocks all around which helps. can anyone tell me what size rim/tire it looks like he is using?

Attachments

• 100_4541.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 83
You're not gonna get a one sided conclusive answer on this one, sorry brother.

Beffy tires = less performance on stock rims.

Really beffy tires = danger on stock rims.

Bigger rims = more work and possibly fab work.

It comes down to research and how much you want to bet your butt on what you have found out. The threads that are out there pretty much sum up anything anyone could add on the subject. Personally I'd say stock or +1 size on stock rims. If you want bigger there is good info on how to retrofit larger rims and the complications/machining involved.

Carpy (cb750cafe.com) is known for subing a smaller d. back wheel to add more rubber, ie.:
2a78f0be036491b89c5a2bf55db5a364.jpg

916519945ba62ce9280f3607cba7a72d.jpg

3b3c9d48cc87e14492e2a467e1e1a11a.jpg

Look into Harley rims, lot of guys around here went that route too. Might lace up to your stock hub, but then you will probably have clearance issues. The knowledge is out there just gotta go for it.

Good luck.

thats what carpy uses is a 16" drop center rim from a harley.....there are lacing kits on ebay to lace it to your stock hub

if you want numbers, max size front, 3.25~3.50 it will be 'strange' with a 3.50
Rear, 4.00~4.25.
Don't blame me if you fall down
Not impressed with 16"HD rim on a cafe, bit of a cop out cheap assed conversion to fit wider tyre.

PJ

Back
Top Bottom