71 CB350 - the Supernaut... is dead... For real. Not BTC dead, really dead...

VonYinzer

Over 10,000 Posts
Ok. Had Noel delete the first attempt at build thread after I reread it and realized how much unrelated crap I dumped on you guys...
So Im starting over. Going to keep this consice and to the point. Thanks ahead of time for any help, and thanks for everyone who helped out originally.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Where I started...
P7140157.jpg

P7140159.jpg

Where i sit now...
P9090224.jpg

Frame sandblasted and primed...
P9240243.jpg

;) ::)

Re: 71 CB350 - Supernaut.

Pics to come in the next few days hopefully...

-New seat. Its the one that ChrisF built for the off white cb350 he built. He sold it to Wingman, who ended up selling it to me. The quality of the work put into this seat is simply amazing. I got real effin' lucky on this one... Custom paint, and cover coming soon.
-Frame/swingarm mods including removing all the original seat mounting hardware, framehorns behind the shock mounts, reinforcing the rear of the frame (thats going to be cool...) and repaint.
-The original fork covers/headlight ears have been repainted in gloss black, and will hopefully getting some custom paintwork applied this week...
-Carbs were repainted, and let me say, i did a horrible job. So there getting torn down and refinished.
-Motor need a good cleaning, and some paintwork. Thats going to come later.
-Fabbing a new tach mount, as im not running a speedo. The tachs been repainted, and it came out awesome.
-Gas tanks going to a friend this week for paint. If it comes out the way we've planned, its going to be really sharp.

Alright. more to come.

Found a pic of the tach. Not the best pic, but in real life, it looks like its brand new.
PA290291.jpg

Oh ya, i also have everything needed (minus a linkage, but its on the way) to get the homemade rearsets set up. They should be pretty cool when finished, and Ive tried to design them as if they came from the factory.

Minor update...

Just came in today:
Cateye taillight
New grips
Bar-End mirrors
Pod filters (I really actually prefer the UNI filters, but these were only $10 brand spankin new so... I can always change em' later.)
And i found a brand new with tags SHIFT Backdraft jacket for $30! Its not for everyone, but I like it and for $120 off I couldnt pass it up! Plust the CE armor keeps the wife happy. Its actually a nicer, more comfortable jacket than I expected...
2009_Shift_Racing_Backdraft_Mesh_Ja.jpg

So, I hate the Duplicolor aluminum engine enamel. Ive tried 3 times now to paint some engine bits, and every time they come out looking like shit. Every other color of that brand Ive used has worked out well. Ive tried everything to get a nice finish with the Alum though and BLECH....
Cant really tell in the pic but it looks terrible.
PA010270.jpg

Took me a while to get the Dupli-color Aluminum to lay right...

Sand it smooth, and do VERY fine misting coats. Let it have about a 3-5 minute flash time between coats. (basically once it looks like it's starting to dry) I put on three "super fine" coats to equal one regular coat.

BCBarker said:
Took me a while to get the Dupli-color Aluminum to lay right...

Sand it smooth, and do VERY fine misting coats. Let it have about a 3-5 minute flash time between coats. (basically once it looks like it's starting to dry) I put on three "super fine" coats to equal one regular coat.

THANKS!

I've found that the Dupli-color engine enamel hates humidity. I laid some gloss black and forgot about the humidity, turned out really cloudy. Not sure if thats the issue you're having but thought I'd throw it out there.

Look forward to seeing how you did the rearsets.

Thanks deacon. Its not so cloudy as its like the mettalic parts in the paint are seperating from the rest. Im geting heavy swirls of the aluminum in the paint. Im sure im just laying it on too thick. Its been a bit chilly in the garage when ive tried also, that may be an issue also. Ahh... Im just going to use black like I wanted originally...

The rearsets should be kinda cool. Very understated. I got the "levers" cut from 1/4" plate steel. The pegs are high grade BMX pegs. The cool thing about em' is that there are no bearings. (Ill get some pics tomorrow.) The "levers" have a 1" hole cut in them at the pivot point. Inside that hole are 4 nylon washers that are just over 1" in diameter. (they equal 1/4" together) The hole in the center is 3/8" or 14mm which is the size of the mounting bolt. The bolt will run through the back of the stock passenger peg mounts, a rubber washer, a 3/4"L x 1"O.D. x 3/8" I.D. stainless spacer, a slightly over 1" O.D. nylon washer, the "lever", another nylon washer, and thread into the peg. Some high end marine grease between the nylon washers, and some loc-tite on the threads and I should be good to go. Im sure it'll make more sense w/ pics. I want them to look as close to the design of the factory parts on the bike as possible. Very understated and minimalist...

Post some pics of your rearsets already! I think we are both going down that road at the same time... maybe I can borrow some of your technology!

I think I'll have time to work on PSing a "Special Zero Supernaut" option for you, but I need some specs... what kind of bars? 2-up seat right? And stock tank... Any other "things" you plan of doing?

BCB

If you're planning to black on the cases/head, you could always acid-etch some detail out and then clear-coat. Never did mind that look. Good score with the jacket, too. A lotta guys around here swear by them in summer - say it feels like wearing a t-shirt when its 100'F outside.

Bring on the rearsets! - boingk

CresentSon said:
I'm craving the rearset shots too. Where do you source the bmx pegs?
The first set i bought were some cheap ass Chinese EBay deals. Complete garbage. I wouldnt trust em' to hold the weight of a 2 year old... So I ordered a set of these: http://www.harborcountrybike.com/MANOWAR_TUBESCREAMER_PEGS_CHROME_3_8_TO_14MM_p/axex1080.htm . I got them in black though. Should work just fine..

Well, doing a little searching I found the original drawing for the "levers"... They were tweeked a bit but here they are. Both sides are the same. The shift (left) side will have the shorter section pointing upward. There will be a clevis that hooks to that, than an adjustable rod, and another clevis that hooks onto the cut down and drilled orig shift arm. The brake side will be "upside down" in comparison, with the shorter piece pointing down. I will modify the stock brake linkage to attach to the "lever". Not shown in the drawing is the short bolt that will run through the center of the brake side "lever". It will be drilled at the end to accept the return spring that will than attach to the original passenger peg mount.

08-07-2009125828PM.jpg

boingk said:
If you're planning to black on the cases/head, you could always acid-etch some detail out and then clear-coat. Never did mind that look. Good score with the jacket, too. A lotta guys around here swear by them in summer - say it feels like wearing a t-shirt when its 100'F outside.

Bring on the rearsets! - boingk

Thanks... The coat seems pretty cool. With the liner in I was sweating my ass of in 60 deg weather too, so thats a plus with the cool nights/mornings here.

So, I got a bunch done today. Little shit, but it all adds up ya know! Pics in the A.M.

OK. Mock up in cardboard of the rear frame brace. Going to hopefully get it cut out of 1/4" plate this weekend and welded up.
PB190317.jpg

PB190318.jpg

Back
Top Bottom