71 CB350 - the Supernaut... is dead... For real. Not BTC dead, really dead...

Re: 71 CB350 - Supernaut.

motofiaccone said:
Wow! Good find! I think you'll like the two stroke better because of the power delivery--at least I do. One thing I recommend on the Suzuki: Leave the stock pipes on during the build. Once you have the bike completed and riding reliably, that's when you upgrade to expansion chambers.

Of all the bikes I've built and all the fabrication I've done, nothing compares to the complexity and frustration of tuning a 2-stroke with expansion chambers. Of course, maybe it's just me.

--Chris
Ya Chris, I dont want to mess with this one too much once I can actually get to building it. Im just going to go with real subtle mods. Probobly clip ons, and ill have to figure out a seat since the stock one is missing along with all the lights. The stock exhaust is still on it, but I cant remember what shape its in. Hopefully its not too bad, as parts arent too readily available for these little guys. And when you can find em, they are not cheap.

When the time comes, hit me up for a seat for that bike. The one I used on my RD400 would look insane on that bike.

It the pipes look too bad, it's nothing a good scuff job and some high temp paint wouldn't fix.

--Chris

Jfishsolevibe said:
MIKE!!! Youre sick in the head!!!!

However.... that thing is also sick! Thats like my ideal bike man - Im a little dude, so a rippin 2-stroke woowee! Congrats on picking that up. Ive been ever so gingerly browsing craigslist even though I know thats a mistake! Haha

Go get some work done on that CB man! We need to hit these streets!
HA! Maybe it is a sickness. :D I need to find a building to rent for all these "projects". Theres already 4 bikes at my buddys little 1 bay garage, and two more waiting in the wings. Runnin out of room QUICK! This one will be a blast. In stock trim: 326lbs, 6spd trans, 27HP, perfectly square bore and stroke, and a top speed of 90+. Its going to be dangerous... and loud... and smoky...
As far as the 350 goes, Im finishing up some little paint work so I can get her back together. I am forgoing a lot of the really grandious plans I had for the sake of time and my own sanity. Sometimes ya just gotta give in to reality i suppose...
I got some paint work done on the seat lastnight. Its going to be pretty neat i think. The only thing left to paint thats any real issue is the tank. Thats going to come soon though. I really hoping to have a complete rolling chassis by the end of Jan. Once ive reached that point ill clean up the motor, and be on the final stretch... Its really getting to that point where I can see the light at the end of the tunnel... We'll be riding soon brother!

motofiaccone said:
When the time comes, hit me up for a seat for that bike. The one I used on my RD400 would look insane on that bike.

It the pipes look too bad, it's nothing a good scuff job and some high temp paint wouldn't fix.

--Chris
Hell ya man. Ill let you know when the time comes. Its amazing how much chrome there is on these little things. Way more than a Honda of the same vintage. I guess that was one of there selling points. That and being super quick off the line. The pipes will probobly get painted or if I can figure out how to sell a kidney on the black market, powdered. ;) Theres really nothing to the thing. So simple and purpose built, not unlike the 350. Its going to be pretty cool. Even with the minor changes/mods (99% of wich will just be paint and other finishes.) I want to do itll still be a standout just because of the rarity.

Heres how the conversation went...
"How are ya going to paint her?"
"Well, Id like to...blah, blah, blah..."
"So all shiny and pretty and shit?"
"Ya, I guess you could say that."
"Why?"
"Why, what?"
"Why in the hell would you spend all that time and money to pretty up a bike, that your ugly ass is going to be riding..."
"Becau....."
"Shut up man. Paint the fucker like it just rolled off the track... 30 years ago, and has been sittin in a barn since..."
"Huh?"
"Look, your chrome, and aluminum bits arent perfect. And unless you spend the money, which you cant, on new stuff shiny perfect paint would be like perfume on a pig."
"Hmmm, I guess your right. What should I do?"
"Fuck if I know, just dont make it pretty, or you'll look like a douche. Seriously."

I love my friends... :p
That said, Im going to do a rough, patina look on the tank and seat. Race decals, and the sort... Well I should say Im going to try to do it. Never purposly fucked up a paintjob before... We'll see...

hrdp_0704_rat_02_z1937_ford_rat_rod.jpg

Something along these lines... I really hate when people do this on old hot rods, but for some reason, Im ok with doing it on my bike... Hope that doesnt make me an ass. Oh well. Still deciding on the final colors, but it should be neat. If not, I can always do it over again.

There was a thread on here with a tank that was all distressed & looked bomber. #53 on the side if anyone remembers & has a pic.

I love that style. My build will kinda have the essence, but more polished I reckon.

Cool!

Curbcast said:
There was a thread on here with a tank that was all distressed & looked bomber. #53 on the side if anyone remembers & has a pic.

I love that style. My build will kinda have the essence, but more polished I reckon.

Cool!
Ya I remember seeing that. I looked for it for abit, but couldnt find it. That was some killer work...

I am all over that idea. Should be a lot of info on the rod forums about methods. So get to work already. ;)

Im heading to the garage to try and get the seat all ready in a bit. I ordered some cool old race decals today and should be ordering some more tomorrow... She wont be Homecoming Queen, but I hated that bitch anyway.

Mike, I just realized I haven't posted on your build. Keep the ideas flowin man! That homecoming queen bit cracked me up.

If you need it for that hot rod paint job, I have a HVLP gun. Anything else you need just let us know brother!

Well, I went apeshit on the seat with spraybombs and sandpaper... I fuckin love it. The clear is a bit cloudy after the wetsand (but its rattlecan so I expected that, ill hand buff it this weekend.) but shit, Im happy... I have some small vintage sponsor decals (NGK, Castrol, etc..) comin that I may try and work into the seat, and than scuff the shit outta them... Please let me know what you guys think!
P.S. The light in the garage blows goats, so it really does look cooler in person...

PC100369.jpg

PC100368.jpg

PC100367.jpg

PC100366.jpg

PC100365.jpg

PC100360.jpg

PC100364.jpg

Re: 71 CB350 - Supernaut - New seat pics, pretty cool if ya ask me....

Still need to get a cover made up... I may try and make one myself, but I have no fuckin clue how to sew. So, im probobly going to see if Go! is still willing to help me out. On that note, I need a good size piece of old beat up black leather. Anyone have anything like that they'd like to get rid of? Ill probobly start searching the thrift stores over the weekend if not.
Thanks, Mike.

Looks incredible. Tattered super hero. Judging by your avatar your into graphics...you gotta be happy with this. The shape of the 1 blows my mind.

Ya man, ive always been drawn to things like logos, flags, etc... I love simple graphic art. I honestly think sign painting is a more beautiful artform than anything you'll find in a museum most of the time. Thanks a ton for the compliments! It means a lot to hear "attaboys" from the people on here. 99% of the people I know couldnt care less about old bikes and to be able to share ideas and such with you guys really helps keep me goin!
The number one was just made using a homemade cardboard stencil... Drew it on in about 2 sec, taped it off and sprayed away... Got lucky on that one!
I wouldve started fuckin with the tank, but it was about 18deg in the garage lastnight so my time was a bit limited. A good thing about the cold is though, that I got this all done SUPER fast!! HA HA ;D

I like the raw foam. I sent you that didn't I?

--Chris

motofiaccone said:
I like the raw foam. I sent you that didn't I?

--Chris
Nope, you sold it to Wingman, who then sold it to me... So i guess you did send it to me, just in a very indirect manor. I like the raw foam too, but I think with the whole "distressed" look, a cover made from some old cracked, and faded leather would solidify the theme.

great work man i love it!
+1 on covering, would really bring it together

Back
Top Bottom