Come On Eileen!....tanks for the memories!

tWistedWheelz

BUILT NOT BOUGHT!
Well It has been a while since I worked on my own two wheeled project, but the time has come again! I recently aquired a new (to me) bike. She's a 1979 Suzuki GS425E. I bought her sight unseen for $100. I was really excited before I met her, but upon first inspection, I lost some if my vigor! It has problems and is missing some parts that I was not aware of upon the agreement, but WTF, she was $100! So I have embarked on a journy with Eileen to massage her back to life and to renew her to a better state than she has ever seen!

Plans are loose for now, but here is the short list for you to get a feel of Eileens direction!
Mono-shock
Homemade tank and seat
Clip-ons
Chop everything
cut weight to the max
Add a little asthetic keys

Of course she will be completely Striped down and rebuilt down to every bolt!
This is what she looked like new. (according to google images)
1979_GS425E_red_750.jpg

This is her as of my start!
SDC10952.jpg

SDC10956.jpg

SDC10953.jpg

SDC10954.jpg

SDC10955.jpg

And this is after some removal, I could not resist turning a few wrenches when I got her in my little shop!
SDC10958.jpg

SDC10957.jpg

SDC10959.jpg

This will not be a fast build as I am very busy with life at the moment, but I will fill as much time as possible in the shop!

Re: Come On Eileen!....The long road begins

Haaaaa, in a previous post today I suggested a GS400/425/450 would be a great project....and here it is. I'm sure your going to do her proud, little crusty but its got potential ;D ( looks like an L model though )

Are you building in your house? What kind of mono shock are you going to use? Have any inspiration pics or is it just in your head. Good luck I'm tuned in. I love suzuki for some damn reason even though I'm build a kaw.

Your gonna save a good few pounds when you get rid of all that aluminum oxide off alone ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UJaHRTbfFE
-canadian content alert!

lots of scrubbin to do eh...good luck with the build dude!

Always had a soft spot for older Suzuki's. You'll do do a great job on it!

If you can find a 83 GR650, it has a mono-shock (my first bike). Still got it if you need some pics!

I wonder if a gs 500 will swap in I have one if you need dimensions. i bet there pretty similar.

I have a 95 CBR600 that will be the donor bike for alot of the bits! Like the mono-shock, rear sets, and a few other goodies.

Most of the ideas are in my head but you can go through every bike on this site and I would tell you all of them inspire me in some way!

M357.5 Please explain "L model" I don't know much about these bikes since I am a Honda guy! I have research a good bit but have not come across "L model" or any "X model" for that matter! I would appreciate anything you can tell me about it! It looks like I am going to have to rebuild the clutch! I have never done that, but I will try anything!

Thanks for the support guys, I know I will need it to keep me going on this old heap! I really want to bring her to a new vibrance! I will be turning to my DTT family for answers and inspiration thoughout this process. As with all my projects, my friend Alex (Deviant1) will be lending a hand whenever he can. I am really looking forward to the journey!

Cheers!

Alex, I have a great admiration for your tenacity. I have no doubt that you'll rip this old girl from the hands of oblivion. Good on ya!

Wow! Your one is worse than the one I started with.....
RHScomplete.jpg

I didn't think that was possible ;D

The "L" models were the cruiser versions with the higher bars and smaller rear wheel (the normal GS's had 18" front and rear). To my knowledge they didn't make a 425L, so your one might be modified with L parts (check your VIN to see it is a 425, not a 450). Although, your bike has a kick start, so it has to be a 425 or 400 (or at least have that bottom end ;))

Here's a 450L:
1981_GS450L_red_800.jpg

Have a look over here for a bit of Suzuki history....and welcome to club GS :D
http://www.suzukicycles.org/All-Suzuki/all_suzuki_models.html

Nice project, although it'll only ever be half the bike my 850 is! Ha, haha...er...yeah. Lame.

Anywho, if you check out this link you'll get a lot more info on the GS series. BassCliffs site is linked there as well and is well worth a look for technical how-to's and other bits of knowledge.

Keep us in the know, man, and for God's sake ditch that stock airbox. Not sure about the one on the 425's but the one on my 850 was horrible, even from a design point of view. Fit pods and tune the carbies to suit, you won't regret it.

Cheers - boingk

Thompsonmx100, no, not my house, it is my makeshift shop located in a 10X15 building in my back yard! The PO of my residence used it as a sewing room. I converted it to the mini-shop and saw no reason to change the wall, window, and door treatment!

Cresent, Thanks man, but just to clairify, I am Brandon (tWistedWheelz) and Alex (Deviant1) is my friend who I help build his bike "The Screamin Cheeto"

Hillsy and boigk, Thanks for all the info! Thats goint to be really helpful. I have one of the side covers and it says GS425E on it, it does have a kicker lever, but it had many parts similar to the GS450L pic that was posted! I will do some more investigating tonight when I get back in the shop.

Checked the neck when I went home for lunch. She was manufactured in March of 1979 and she is a GS425E. I guess some dumb ass that had it in the past put the stupid looking "L model" shit on her! I pulled a tape across the wheels real quick and to me it looked like the front measured 20 from outside to outside and the back was like 19 outside to outside! Not sure if I just did not measure good or if it is really different. Neck sticker stated that both rims were the same deminsions. Does that sound right?

forcefanajd said:
why didnt you just look at the size on the tires out of curiousity?

They have dry rotted to the point of un-ledgability! The walls have so many cracks, I cant make out any of what used to be the writing! :(

well looking at the picture they do appear to be a staggered setup so my best guess would be a 19 up front 18 out back

About damned time dude!
This bitch will have the most impressive before and after pics ever. I can't wait to come over and twist some wrenches/clean some stuff up. She'll be eating pavement in no time... or some time... or a lot of time... whatever.
And thanks for the hook-up on the Rob-Bob. A true solid bro!

Ahh the old sewing room trick. I thought you were another one building in his dining room. That might be alright for one build but multiple builds would play hell on the floors. anyhow get to work and start building something. ;D

Hey, Cool! I'll be watching with interest as I have this bugger to dig into when the snow melts.

GS450001.jpg

Back
Top Bottom