CB360 - Monoshock Brat

Hey compound, i do have a build thread. My reasoning for the geometry i used is all in it. I'll link when i get home, its hard to do on a phone. Its called "project Gretta". I used a Ducati monster shock body and a 888 spring. Rides really well and its lightweight. Neevo has a great design going as well. Really great build. I'll say again, any help you need man, just hit me up I'll be glad to offer anything i can.

Came across some more inspiration this morning...

tumblr_mcowxzE5De1qa9nrpo1_1280.jpg

I love the look of this bike for so many reasons. #1 it looks like it a daily rider. I love the overall riding stance.

Full gallery over at Iron & Air: http://ironandair.tumblr.com/post/34622027631/tim-harney-from-harneyboy-racing-took-this#notes

Brother Compound do not let all of the design discussion change your mind about what you would like to accomplish, everyone here is very passionate however DTT is an awesome place so stay with us! I am going to stay out of the whole design debate here however as far as converting your bike to a mono shock design just make sure you study a lot of designs, stay safe, and use good quality tubing. I am pretty sure we will be building a variation of a RDLC swingarm on the stock swingarm of our current RD350 build so there will be a few design ideas on that build thread soon as well, I know a lot of people have already offered to help and I am here as well if there is anything you need!

Not much design going on at the moment. Mostly cleaning and prepping engine parts. The weather won't allow for painting so there's some delay (and I'm not even on the East Coast) Hang in there NY. I grew up in Florida and have been through a hurricane or two.

Cleaned up the rocker box, taped, ready for blasting. My rocker arm look to be in fairly good shape so I don't think I need to do anything other than reassemble when painted.

Attachments

• 12 - 4.jpg
    12 - 4.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 2,709
  • 12 - 6.jpg
    12 - 6.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 2,730
  • 12 - 11.jpg
    12 - 11.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 2,741
  • 12 - 16.jpg
    12 - 16.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 2,779
compoundcycles said:
Thanks 7aliveatlast7. I too am interested to see how the monoshock goes in ;) I'm going to retain the original swing arm and reinforce it with a secondary one, very similar the the first picture in the inspiration images I posted. Stubby yes, but hopefully it can stay compact, I really dig smaller bikes.

I love pipes and exhaust on your kz440, it a very cool looking bike. Nice work.

thanks man! i'm very happy to have them done after a long time working on them. and i'm glad kanticoy commented with a pic of his build, i was going to refer you to him. i really like his design, and though i thought it looked like the bottom shock mount looked like it could use some extra beef, the results speak for themselves...he says he rides it every often and has had no problem, so more power to him! it's a beautiful swingarm.

Do not sandblast engine parts! Clean and hand finish or soda blast only. It takes very little debris left over in an engine to cause BIG issues later on.

I was hoping I'd be able to get away with lightly washing the parts after they're painted to remove and escaped media. I'm using glass bead.

I'm taping, blasting with glass bead, blowing off the dust with air, 3 coats of paint, dry for a week, pull tape, rinse with soap and water. I hope that's enough.

I ordered a RD350LC monoshock like neevo suggested. Found one on ebay for fairly cheap, figured I get something to get things rolling. Its used, but if I really want, I can replace it with a new one down the line. Should be here tomorrow or Friday.

I've seen builds where people replace the stock swingarm bushings with Bronze ones. What is the benefit of the bronze? Or is the exercise more about just replacing the bushings altogether?

Here's a quick mockup of the rear of the bike so I can start wrapping my head around what I need for this weekend...

Green = fabricated swingarm brace & shock, Red = original frame to be retained, Blue = added bracing for when removing the stock vertical support.

Attachments

• subframeMockup.jpg
    subframeMockup.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 2,442
Seems like the forum has been blowing up with new members and new builds... Exciting stuff!!!! Welcome, man..

This is a girl's bike here in Dallas that's got a neat little setup that you might like.

honda-sophi-motart-2.jpg

384170_2697150878953_399899129_n.jpg

267612_2186770919773_8192688_n.jpg

384994_2605181299771_462419476_n.jpg

cyclefreak said:
Cool looking set up Matt. Does she have a build thread up anywhere?

Nah.. Not that I can find.. I nicked these off a Facebook album... hope she doesn't mind.. ;D

Glass bead media is just as bad as sand. Have the parts soda blasted. Using any other media (other than vapor, but that's big money) is just playing with fire man. I wouldn't lie to ya.

Awesome, thanks for the support cafematty!

That is a clean looking fab that I aspire to achieve.

Does anyone know what the piece connecting the swingarm brace to the swingarm is, or is called? It looks it be adjustable too.

Attachments

• swingarmquestion.jpg
    swingarmquestion.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 1,923
compoundcycles said:
It looks it be adjustable too.

Doesn't seem necessary... That swingarm isn't one solid piece, which I probably would avoid... Looks like she's using the stock shock mounting holes to bolt up the upper section. That's a lot of wiggly parts that are under a fair amount of stress. But I'm certainly no structural engineer... I only play one on television.

Yeah... That seems to be just an adjustable rod being used in place of a welded in brace. As Matty said, all of the places where she has things bolted together really should probobly be welded connections. Than again, like Matt, I'm no engineer...

It appears to be a fine height adjustment. Run it in and the rear goes down, out to raise, or the opposite starting from where the shock is in-line with the frame. It looks like a pretty cool feature to me.

After a second look at the picture it appears that out would lower it and is likely in a slightly lowered position currently.

Autotek said:
It appears to be a fine height adjustment.

Yeah that was my guess, but you can already (mostly) do that with the shocks themselves. How often are you going to be adjusting the ride height and is it worth (possibly) forsaking some of the rigidity of the swingarm?

Just looks like two heim joints with a threaded rod between for adjustment. I'm wondering why it's not solid also. I'm tuned in for progress though. Good work so far.

cafematty said:
Yeah that was my guess, but you can already (mostly) do that with the shocks themselves. How often are you going to be adjusting the ride height and is it worth (possibly) forsaking some of the rigidity of the swingarm?

Yea, I agree. Perhaps it would allow for different length of mono shock? Or allow you to fine tune a new design before making it ridged.

Back
Top Bottom