XS850 - Monoshock & USD Fork (pics pg 13)

Re: XS850 Cafe - Monoshock + Modern Front End

Just post a picture of the bike getting its tits ridden off, and that'll settle it.

-Sherm

Bigsherm said:
Just post a picture of the bike getting its tits ridden off, and that'll settle it.

-Sherm
It does not matter if the frame design as is now is able to handle hard riding. Because I'm pretty sure the bike can handle a lot of stress as is now. Important is the fact that will this bike whistand the fatigue loads of hard riding that this bike could be sustained to through its "new" life and not being a time bomb? That's the real question

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

barreto said:
At the swingarm pivot, they are welded and will have an additional gussets placed between the vertical tube and the horizontal tube under the engine. The rearset brackets are laser cut 3/16" plate, which will add some strength to that triangle around the swing arm pivot. Directly above the upper rearset stud, there is a cross tube connecting the two vertical tubes, which I could also gusset if it looks necessary.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I am doing a thorough job at adding strength to new geometry.

With all due respect, you don't appear to understand the magnitude and direction of forces in a monoshock frame. Start with copy of Tony Foale's book - you may already have a copy. On a twin shock frame, there is very little force on the swingarm pivot and all of it is vertical. On a monshock the direction of force is entirely different and removal of the rear triangle removes all the bracing to that pivot.

And the greater the shock angle, the higher the resulting front-aft loads.

Add in higher side loads when cornering from fat sticky modern tires and now you have a situation where the rear end will flex far more than a stock chassis.

I have a similar conversion in the shop that we did and the frame will probably be cut up and replaced with a twin shock because so far we have not come up with an adequate way to make it safe for the long term. It looks wicked, but it isn't safe to ride hard as it is right now.

barreto said:
At the swingarm pivot, they are welded and will have an additional gussets placed between the vertical tube and the horizontal tube under the engine. The rearset brackets are laser cut 3/16" plate, which will add some strength to that triangle around the swing arm pivot. Directly above the upper rearset stud, there is a cross tube connecting the two vertical tubes, which I could also gusset if it looks necessary.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but I am doing a thorough job at adding strength to new geometry.
you are doing a fantastic job on the fabrication, some tapering gussets at the top tube connection to the backbone would really help and you have the skills to pull that of beautifully as well
but personally i would double up on those tubes piggyback tandem style

All of the feedback and criticism is great. It is always difficult to adapt an older frame to a newer suspension design, but I think it will be sufficient when the fabrication is completed. The frame is not done at this point. I put it on the ground to make sure the stance is what we wanted, but there are several components to be added before it is completed.

Just for a little background on myself, I grew up in a machine and fabrication shop and am a mechanical engineer whose primary job is designing hydraulic-powered industrial equipment, so I'm very familiar with designing high-stress, high-cycle parts and machines. I am not claiming to be the authority on suspension design, but I will be doing everything possible to make sure it is done correctly.

That being said, suggestions and constructive criticism is welcome.

when you took the spring off the shock what was the measured rear wheel travel at the axle ?

I have it all written down in my notes at my shop. The shock I have it mocked up with doesn't have a removable spring but It will be replaced with a progressive shock. The new rear tire will be a smaller diameter tire as well.

Re: XS850 Monoshock Cafe (+ Modern Front End)

A quick update on the frame fabrication. After getting some feedback on how the frame needs to be strengthened, I looked at how best to fit more structure into the frame. Here is how I'm planning on adding some beef to it without adding too much weight. I'm going to add a vertical tube on either side of the frame and tie them together in several key places. Keep in mind, this is a preliminary fitting to make sure everything cleared on both sides. I also need to make sure the engine can be removed before anything gets welded further.
15655515655_e01d1ca9d2_b.jpg

15468868719_aac08d21c5_b.jpg

15034756864_b16c44cddd_b.jpg

15468853959_4f0586f4f5_b.jpg

15469523447_1ff24bcb93_b.jpg

15034734284_5371b67ca4_b.jpg

15035321063_3150e7951e_b.jpg

out of curiosity, what did you end up with trail-wise swapping the front end? I'm working out something similar with GSXR750 parts and with stock GSXR triple trees the trail was 6.25" (eek!) I did happen to notice your xs850 started out with non-leading axle forks but my xs750 had leading axle forks. Makes me wonder if the neck angle on the frame was different for the non-leading-axle versions. I'm making custom triple trees from scratch with more offset to bring the trail closer to 4.25-4.5" for mine....and made up some rotor adapters to use RC51 rotors on stock wheels.

10368380_1545857605628368_7355576730779989076_n.jpg

Thanks for posting the update on the frame Luke.

focusinprogress said:
out of curiosity, what did you end up with trail-wise swapping the front end? I'm working out something similar with GSXR750 parts and with stock GSXR triple trees the trail was 6.25" (eek!) I did happen to notice your xs850 started out with non-leading axle forks but my xs750 had leading axle forks. Makes me wonder if the neck angle on the frame was different for the non-leading-axle versions. I'm making custom triple trees from scratch with more offset to bring the trail closer to 4.25-4.5" for mine....and made up some rotor adapters to use RC51 rotors on stock wheels.

I don't know the answer to this exactly... but I can tell you that on the 850 it is pretty close to stock because, as you mentioned, the 750 has the leading axel which the 850 does not.

And nice work on that adapter to run the stock wheel with those calipers! Looks great.

hbc said:
Thanks for posting the update on the frame Luke.

I don't know the answer to this exactly... but I can tell you that on the 850 it is pretty close to stock because, as you mentioned, the 750 has the leading axel which the 850 does not.

And nice work on that adapter to run the stock wheel with those calipers! Looks great.

Thanks for the kind words! many hours on the lathe lol. I have two xs850's as well that both have the leading axle forks too....I think the difference is "standard" versus "special" models....the standards seem to have the knee-dent style tank and non-leading axle forks, while the "special" has a more tear-drop style tank and leading axle forks.

focusinprogress said:
Thanks for the kind words! many hours on the lathe lol. I have two xs850's as well that both have the leading axle forks too....I think the difference is "standard" versus "special" models....the standards seem to have the knee-dent style tank and non-leading axle forks, while the "special" has a more tear-drop style tank and leading axle forks.

That is correct. Standard is the knee dent style tank vs. the tear drop on the special. However I didn't realize they had a different fork setup. I know the special was meant to be more comfortable/cruiser style, so that could explain it.

P.S. I have the stock set of forks from this bike still (along with a million other parts) if you want them. I can message you a long list of parts if you need anything.

Back
Top Bottom