The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550- New Electrical

Re: The Poor Boy - A Tale Of A CB550

Thanks dudes!

I like the stem pressing idea, I'll prob try that and it not then I might machine the tube to accept the bearing.

If I push the stem, I just use the ball bearings that the original trees were mounted with on the 550, correct?

sXe

Our original plan was to swap the KZ stem into the CBR trees, but after measuring we would have to machine a spacer to press in first as the KZ stem had a much smaller diameter, was quicker to press out the CBR stem and machine it to accept the KZ upper bearing and press it back in. ( CBR stem is aluminum so it had a much larger diameter )

yes, once you get the 550 stem in the GL clamp, then you use the 550 bearings

I did some work on my hoop last night when I got home from work.

The parts:

DSC_0008-1.jpg

Set Up:

DSC_0009.jpg

Tac Down:

DSC_0012-1.jpg

Everyone likes a good grind pictures:

DSC_0029.jpg

DSC_0022.jpg

DSC_0020.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

I still need to make a slug to fill the gap which should be easy cause I already have a part. I also need to shape a gusset for the gap.

So i have been spending alot of time getting the spare parts I am not going to need ready to be sold to make some extra scratch for the bike. I told myself that I'm not going to actually buy any more parts for the bike until I make money off all the old parts I have lying around.

In the mean time, I can polish and take a part stuff with out it costing me anything, right!? With that said: I remember taking apart wheels when I was in to BMX/Dirt Jumping. I had a cool nipple wrench and I want to make sure it would work on motorcycles too... so will it?

So it was my birthday this last week and as the weekend came to a close, I put the final touches on the gift from my gf and parents. Behold guys, Im finally a man:

DSC_0121.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

DSC_0119.jpg

Nice, I love new tools... I do have one word for ya. that rear hoop looks like it will cause issues for you clearance wise. when you go into a turn, the g-forces will load up on the springs and you will experience full articulation. Form the looks of it that will cause tire rub, and is not fun when dragging a knee in a turn. You might want to consider giving the hoop a little upwards bend or going with an inch or two longer rear shocks.

sxecafe said:
So it was my birthday this last week and as the weekend came to a close, I put the final touches on the gift from my gf and parents. Behold guys, Im finally a man:

DSC_0121.jpg

Did you get those Northwest Pears for your B-Day as well? They looked delicious and I hope you shared!!!

dakine_surf said:
Nice, I love new tools... I do have one word for ya. that rear hoop looks like it will cause issues for you clearance wise. when you go into a turn, the g-forces will load up on the springs and you will experience full articulation. Form the looks of it that will cause tire rub, and is not fun when dragging a knee in a turn. You might want to consider giving the hoop a little upwards bend or going with an inch or two longer rear shocks.

Thanks for the thoughts man. The plan was to torch the hoop a bit once its done and bend it up not only for the clearance but for the stance/look also.

kingofthenuggets said:
Did you get those Northwest Pears for your B-Day as well? They looked delicious and I hope you shared!!!

HAHAHA I seriously was like " Is this guy on crack? WTF is he talking about" Then it hit me. That was a Costco box. Unfortunately, I have not had one of their pears in a long time but I should make it a point to get one soon!

man... that craftsman set is my wet dream!

i love the newer stuff with the lazer etched sizes. i got one of the older kits, from around the early 90s. has everything i need, but i think im going to buy a set of those screwdriver heads just like yours.

also i need some larger metric sizes for my ratches... 20-30mm...

beautiful set man.

Rocan said:
also i need some larger metric sizes for my ratches... 20-30mm...

beautiful set man.

Thanks, man! I cant wait to put to use. I need to get a few over sized things as well but I figured I would wait until the need actually presents itself before I go crazy buy expensive, big ass wrenches that wont be used so often.

awesome like were this build is going!

sabres7th said:
like were this build is going!

+1

Also +1 on the stem-swap. It's the neatest solution I think. Done it a few times now.

ian

I love COSTCO ... Your tool chest is pretty sweet and I am jealous!! Those little stools are a back and leg saver. You got the tools, you got the stool, now get to work!!! LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Im making an effort to turn a wrench everyday as a form of therapy ( :D ) and as a result, I got a little bit of progress done last night, nothing major... but it was the first time I used the new tools so that in-and-of itself is exciting!!!

Took the rotors off the front wheel. Getting it ready to be drilled out and painted as well as new bearings etc.

photo2.jpg

photo.jpg

Anyone know where a guy could get a fresh set of spokes for a 77 GL1000 wheel?

sXe

Yeah go to buchanan spokes. You will have to call them and tell them what you are looking for, they will custom make spokes for any aplication. Not cheap at $.50-3 per spoke, just depends on finish and aplication.

http://www.buchananspokes.net/

Cheers,
Dakine

dakine_surf said:
Not cheap at $.50-3 per spoke, just depends on finish and aplication.

Yea... I found that actually right after my post and man, you're not kidding! I was thinking I could re-spoke both wheels for under a $100 but NOPE! I guess I can just CLR to remove the surface rust and paint them.

Thanks for the link, tho.

Finally got my front wheel dissembled completely. I took a crack at most of it on Saturday night but I had some really difficult nipples I had to soak in WD-40.

DSC_0556.jpg

DSC_0558.jpg

DSC_0559.jpg

Most of the spokes will be good with just a little steel wool like these:

DSC_0561.jpg

Some will need a CLR Bath:

DSC_0562.jpg

DSC_0574.jpg

I soaked the nipples with CLR for a day or so:

DSC_0571.jpg

I used a steel brush and then some steel wool on the nipples to get off the residue. Before and After Shots:

DSC_0569.jpg

DSC_0570.jpg

Then unfortunately, even after soaking in WD-40, I realized that about seven spokes snapped off in the nipples after I had finished pulling them out so I have to order new ones from Buchanan's:

DSC_0567.jpg

I still need to clean the hub so I can prep for paint. Im going to paint the hoop white the spokes titanium and the hub black. If I can keep the nipples looking sharp, they will stay bare.

Oh yea... I also got me steel stock in from Aircraft Spruce & Specialty. Big shout out to Hancock for helping me with the measurements (they fit perfectly around the fork tube man).

I plan on making bars and headlight clamps from this. I might need a bit more round stock but that shouldnt be too much of an issue:

DSC_0573.jpg

Getting super excited!!!!

Back
Top Bottom