Pjkf: Two-Up CL350 Cafe "Variant" (Completed Photos)

PjkF

Artist & Vehicle Enthusiast
Good day everyone. I am introducing myself for a second time. (as I had already done so in the members intro section) I am currently in the process of building a Cafe/tracker out of my 1973 Honda cl350.
This is my first motorcycle and it will be my first time riding this spring.

I am located in Sioux City, Iowa and looking forward to meeting others who share a love for vintage bikes.
After hearing stories from my pop about his adventures on his CBs in Ghana, I have always wanted to get a similar motorcycle, not only for my benefit, but for his as well.

I have already learned quite a bit from this site and I thank SuddenlyCalm for directing me this way.

Enough talk, onto the pictures:

When I first got her:
_MG_2495.jpg

My most recent picture. I'll be glassing the seat soon, hoping to do a tracker seat as I would like to go two-up with my lady.
380491_2637673936357_1090750299_32976590_739901057_n.jpg

New update, she's done. Little odds and ends will come later, but I'm riding her and loving every moment!
Completed_1.jpg

Re: Project Variant: PjkF's first cl350 build

Thank you!
The process is moving along slowly, but it will get there.

Seat tabs have been trimmed to smooth the seating area to glass the new pan.
IMG_05451159.jpg

Front fender trimmed and test mounted. This will be going black along with the tops of the forks and the lower portion of the forks. The chrome where the shock rides on compression and rebound will stay chrome.
IMG_05521158.jpg

Another Update: 12-14-11

Started work on the basic shape for the seat. I wanted to go for a tracker sort of look for the rear seat, and have the ability to ride two-up without going flat on the seat.
I have rearsets installed, so I wanted to have a little height for the passenger section. (pegs for the passenger will be an adventure when I get to that point)

IMG_05571178.jpg

IMG_05581179-1.jpg

New update 1/7/12

The seat has been fiberglassed, what a fun project. Messier than all get out.

_MG_2582.jpg

_MG_2580.jpg

This is setup for running two-up. I just need to figure out padding.

nice seat it looks like a good time lol i hate doing glass urs came out real nice keep up the good work

modifiedamerican said:

Thank you!

cb 400 t said:
nice seat it looks like a good time lol i hate doing glass urs came out real nice keep up the good work

It was a bit of a pain, but I too think it turned out nice.
This was my first time glassing, and I am glad I went this route.
Originally I was thinking of just ordering a pre-made bolt on seat, but I would rather have one unique to my bike.

Congrats on going for the DIY glassing. Have been reading about doing it myself and know it's quite the venture. Well done! Looks great!

It was an experience that I am glad I had. It makes me want to do more with it, but the stuff is so darn messy! ha!

I had to have a little bit of me in the design of the bike. It started out as a sketch, and seeing it solidified in a seat is just a cool feeling.

Very cool. You've got me a bit interested in doing my own now. Did you go by a guide, and if so, which one?

I like your signature by the way. First time I've heard that one.

http://kickwrench.com/2011/03/30/diy-wednesdays-how-to-build-your-own-brat-style-seat/

http://www.customfighters.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22549

I gleaned a bit of information from these two sites. They were a good help in setting a base and taking it step by step. I used a more uniform (also a bit more flexible) weave fiberglass for a base and a topper and used the chop (stringy) fiberglass for the layers in between.

Really make sure that you mix the resin correctly, too much hardener and you will not have enough time to lay all your layers down before it starts to set! I learned that the hard way.

And yes, the tag line. I have always thought that a enthusiast would ride their bike the best because they know it's little quirks and in really in touch with their machine.
Therefore, ride it like it's yours.

Here is a shot of the seat removed from the frame.
-2.jpg

And snapped onto the bike again.
-1.jpg

It fits real snug up by the tank, and sits really well in the back too. I think I may just sand it down and paint it black.
And add a stick on seat cushion for me and a use a belt to put on the rear cushion for the passenger section.

And here's a quick little photoshop of what I am thinking as far as the color scheme I am going for:
-1photoshop.jpg

Ooh. I like that blue. Definitely a winner on that one. No pin-striping or anything? Black rims looks good as well. How'd you do that mock up in Photoshop? Before I read the caption I thought you had actually painted the bike!

The seat looks good! Well done. What was your motivation for a two seater?

Oh, and I like what you did with the fenders.

Same color as mine.

Attachments

• photo 1010.jpg
    photo 1010.jpg
    153.2 KB · Views: 314

Fox said:
Ooh. I like that blue. Definitely a winner on that one. No pin-striping or anything? Black rims looks good as well. How'd you do that mock up in Photoshop? Before I read the caption I thought you had actually painted the bike!

The seat looks good! Well done. What was your motivation for a two seater?

Oh, and I like what you did with the fenders.

I work with a lot of vinyl, so something will be on there in time. I may even take off the HONDA emblem on the side.

And yes, the mock-up was done in Photoshop, I wish actually getting it painted was that easy!

Thank you, it needs to be final trimmed and painted, but I am happy with how the glass turned out.

And the motivation was my fiance wants to ride with me on occasion when I get it done. I know it's a bit small to ride two-up, but for the few times it will happen, I want the bike to be capable.

Justino said:
Same color as mine.

Beautiful bike! That just confirms that color for me.

So, I have done a little bit of work on the bike since I last posted.

I had a change of heart on the color of the tank, and decided to go with a gunmetal metallic.
I'm painting it myself, so it should be an interesting process.

On to the pictures:

I bought an LED tail light from a Chinese dealer on Ebay and I was impressed with the quality.
I test fitted it and it uses the same mounting holes in the fender as the OEM tail light.
It also tucked right under the seat really well.

-1-1.jpg

-2-1.jpg

Another update.

Last night was pretty productive.

I primed the tank after filling in the sides where the logo had been.
_MG_2618.jpg

Finished up on the fenders. (Rubber undercoat actually comes out looking pretty sweet.)
_MG_2621.jpg

Threw some paint on the tank.
_MG_2632.jpg

And mocked up how it would look on the bike
_MG_2644.jpg

I also had the frame filled in a couple spots that had divots from when I drilled out the spot welds on the original seat hinges.

Coming along nicely. I'm really curious to see your finished seat. I'm getting close to the seat-stage of my build and still have some doubts about what I want to do.

Thanks, It really feels close now.

I am curious to see how the seat goes too. ha! I plan to just use racing foam rather than upholstering the seat.
Ah, the challenge of riding two-up on an older bike.

Back
Top Bottom