el burro pequeño - LS650 scrambler build

strang

yep
Let the tank staring begin:
GT380 - tried and tested favourite

GT185 - different but maybe too small

Honda ??? had lying around, too high, looks shit.

Re: Suzuki Savage LS650 Scrambled Egg

Great start! You might want to check the length of the new subframe. It looks a bit long? Rule of thumb is that its about as far back as the rear wheel axle.

Ended up going for the GT185 tank. It has a few advantages:
- the Suzuki Savage petcock is an exact swap. :eek:
- said petcock fits without modification as it clears any obstacles on the left side and sits between engine and choke lever pretty much perfectly.

It also takes the LS650 front tank rubbers. :eek:
Also I wanted to be able to have passengers and therefore wanted a smaller tank length wise so we have little more arse room.
Yep the GT185 capacity isn't great but is actually a shade larger than the Ryca tank so I'm sure it will do as a round town bar hopper.

Following in others footsteps with slight variations, used the old tank mounting points and the old seat mount to create a holder for the GT tank hook. Works great:

mid section just needed at bit of mouse mat to cushion the contact point:

welded a nut on each side at the front:

bit of threaded rod with a penny washer welded on to give the rubbers a bit more to hang on:

Support for rear subframe done. Nuts are welded on the underside so I can bolt the subframe on and off for a while while I sort out mounting brackets for mudguard etc. Much easier to weld on the bench than in situ with my level of skills methinking.

Mudguard is on.
Used these paint tin openers to make tabs. Saved a lot of time and hassle. Love the little things:

Bend 'em cut 'em weld 'em:

As of now:

High Pipe
materials:
- all 1.5" mild steel 1.5mm wall tube
- re-use stock header
- 180 bend, 3" bend radius
- 35 degree bend
- chopper style baffle, this was my dumb first idea. Will put on a standard shorty style muffler soon.

Tacked up:

Got an Suzuki Intruder headlight for free. Same as Savage except has metal shell and different mounting hole spacing.
Welded on new mount to make it fit Savage spacing:

Bit more done today, easy-peasy electrics panel:

seat pan and side panels on:

you have done some very nice work there.i really like it ;)
did you pull the shock springs and check clearance at full bump ? the way the shocks are configured you have about 25-45% more, actual wheel travel , than shock shaft travel

thanks xb.
I haven't done the shock checking - I'm not sure how to do this.
In terms of the rear of the bike, I have stuck to what Ryca have previously done - extended shocks to their advised max (12.5" if I remember) and cut the frame off the same way they do. I presumed if I stuck to their parameters it would be fine. Whenever I've looked at the back end I've always thought it had loads of clearance by eye - I will get a shot up of the bike as it stands with rear mudguard next time I'm in the garage.
Maybe you're right - am I missing something? How do I check I have enough clearance exactly?

take the spring/springs off a shock and mount it up and compress the rear all the way hard
or just mout one shock with spring setting on soft and rig up a ratchet strap inline with the shock and lash it down hard against the bottom out bumper ;)

AMD - I'm on the other side of the pond from you I think (UK) but it was an ebay.uk special. Searched "alloy mudguard" and it was one that came up.
Have been busy doing mid controls. Fucked them up 3 times but am on the right track now. will update v soon.

seat foam done. bit shabby but hopefully the guy whose gonna sew it can make it look pretty :p

thinking of leaving the rear fender on the swingarm/bobber style just for a bit of spice - what you recon?

Finally finished the mid-controls and have incorporated a centre stand. My phone was running out of battery so will take some more pics tomorrow but I think you get the general idea.
Uses the central engine bolt location (but longer bolt) and chunky tab welded onto the frame about 2 inches towards the back. Same type of engine bolt goes through these two tabs. The centre stand pivots on this bolt in the space between the 2 welded tabs. There is also another flat bar going between the two mounting brackets, this provides rigidity and also a brace for the stand when in park position.
Centre stand is from a xs650 that I cut up and made to work.

Any advice on mounting the spring? I have tacked up 2 tabs but a spring that I tried just couldn't handle the load and unsprung itself. I need one about 55mm for how it's tacked at the moment. It seems the spring needs to expand quite a way when it's in park mode. What type of spring are these called?
Anyway it all works and clears the multiple obstacles within the savage setup.

left side - flipped the forward controls around and cut the connecting rod at the RH thread end a little.

Back
Top Bottom