Suzuki GR650 - back to work...

Re: Wheel paint options? - GR650

Forgot to add this pic when I did the oil pan. But here's the oil filter cover:
utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTAtMjAxMDA5MjAtMTI0My5qcGc-1.jpg

After stripping what was left of the paint on the 450 wheel, here's what I am left with. Any ideas for paint / polish? I don't want to duplicate the factory color scheme and polishing the whole thing would be a real pita. Any parts that were black before have a CRAZY rough finish - a power sander has a hard time knocking it out. Maybe silver where it was black before and polish the original bare spots?

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTMtMjAxMDA5MjItMTYwMC5qcGc.jpg

what about polished lips and the rest in bed liner? tough stuff and would look trick

I've always had bad luck with bed liner - bad prep, i know. But bad luck none the less.

Appliance epoxy is a favorite though..... I like the idea of black spokes / polished edge.

Polishing an engine is a BEEAATCH! That is all.

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNTQtMjAxMDA5MjItMjE1NC5qcGc.jpg

I am so pissed that I have somehow over looked this thread for so long.......damn it!

As for the wheels Rich, I got my gears turning on it bro, but I say the silver paint with polish will not offer very good contrast for the polish and just fall a bit flat in wow factor.

I am going to go back and catch up as I have not read throught the whole thread yet, but what all colors are in you planned scheme, what is the primary color, what are accent colors? After I know this I may have some ideas for you!

That's still up in the air for now. The frame is staying black since I won't have time to tear it down and repaint. I will be cutting tabs and such, but just blending black paint on the cuts.

Nothing too wild though - the tank and seat will be receiving new paint out of necessatiy but solid colors will probably be in order.

Hey Dude, I just wanted to say I'm stoked to see a Tempter getting tricked out!! I have an 84 GR and I just pulled it into the Garage to start tearing her down and hopefully transforming it by spring.. This will be my first big project and hopefully I can learn some stuff from this thread so I don't make any major mistakes... Cant wait to see yours finished

Cool man! I havent checked, but be sure to check out the GR650 forum. It's quiet over there, but they know the bike inside and out. There's pics of the semi-restoration of this bike on there as well.

Be sure to start a build thread on here though!

Rich, not knowing the color scheme make it difficult to determine what to do with the paint on those wheels, but here are some ideas for you to marinade on. I think the snowflake wheels are cool and need to be a highlight of the bike, so if you paint them any form of black it will be lost or look stock. I am also not a fan of the silver as earlier mentioned. I think using a color on them and polishing off the lip is the only way to get it to stand out and have its own little spotlight. Now with that said here are two ideas that are very contrasting to each other, but I wanted to offer you two far spectrums for you to draw your own ideas from. Both schemes will give the bike personality and set the build direction on a new path for the whole theme to jive, if you’re pickin up what I'm puttin down...

First one, a classic look with a very clean classy feel. For this one I say use a white on the wheels and polish off the lips, keep your frame black and use the black and white for accents. The primary color.......drum roll please......SEAFOAM GREEN!
Here is a pic that I found for inspiration and illustration!
hirohata_merc.jpg

Now to the second (and my fav)! This one is rather wild and a bit out there.....hold on to your pants.....go 80's bro! Full out 80's no holds bar POP! Have a multicolor everything, bright and in your face 1980's! Back wheel orange, front wheel yellow, both with the polished lip. Use blue, orange, yellow on the body with black accents and some black "junk" all over the body paint. Here is an inspiration and illustration pic and I would copy if to the max....minus the pink (i just could not go there) the dude’s head and skate decks!
fourstar-pirate-vision-new-era-cap.jpg

Well, I know that is a lot to think about...but just put it in your head!

Can you dig it?

The seafoam green may be a possibility...... but the 80's paint gets a resounding "heck no".

I kinda hate everything from the 80's - the music, tv shows, Saved by the Bell, most cars, most bikes, the list could go on. I tell my wife all the time that the only good thing to come from the 80's is her!

just threw it out there.......I like the idea!

But thats why i went for the two polar opostites....just get the gears turning for ya!

I am thinking on going gunmetal with some brown/copper fleck in it without the polished lip for mine.. The 80's idea is way out there but might look cool and i dig the seafoam fo sho!

Re: Polishing bits - GR650

Sorry for the crummy pic...... just been working on some polishing:

utf-8BSU1HMDAyNjEtMjAxMDA5MjUtMTUyMS5qcGc.jpg

Re: Little update 10/09/10 - GR650

So I'm tired of waiting for the seat to come in for fitment and figured I would start tearing everything down now. Started out looking something like this except no windscreen and clubmans:

1021091505.jpg

Then after a little stripping and some frame work ended up with this. The front of the tank is where it's at, but the rear can be moved down a little if need be. And never mind the stock rear fender - it's gonna disappear soon:
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMDktMjAxMDEwMDktMDEwMi5qcGc.jpg

And just a couple hours later:
utf-8BSU1HMDAzMTEtMjAxMDEwMDktMDM1NS5qcGc.jpg

That's it for now. Once the seat comes in, I'll post a rough fitment pic.

rich you need to go to a higher grit before polishing. i can see scratches from back here! :D

Did you also notice the "Suzuki" badges are out of the aluminum?

Oops - hit post too soon.

I bought a couple packs of the variety wet-or-dry paper and it only goes up to 1000. If i have time, i plan on going back over the side covers and such (with 1500 and 2000) but i have a LOT to do and want the bike fired up by spring.

Back
Top Bottom