So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...(50+ Build Links!)

Re: So you bought a CM400 / CB400T, now what...

Oh and make sure you clean all your connections. Any corrosion on any will cause you headaches.

Yea Yayuppp, Good deal. I think it is also a good example of searching on ebay, IMO the CB400A (Automatic) does not have the demand that the other models have, But I expect many parts are interchangeable with Non "A" Models.

Goes to show we should be searching all potential matches, CB400, CB400A, CB400T, CB400C, CB400, CB400T, CB400Ti, CB400Tii, CB450, CB450T.

Ignition coil and key switch are in the mail. Soon, very soon, I'll have her running!

Yep, and there are even parts from completely different bikes that are the same. Honda are the masters of if it works use it on as many bikes/cars/ATVs etc. as we can to save time $$ etc. I have noticed that even my GL1000 has parts that are identical to the CM400T

is the cb400n (superdream) the same (just later) version as the cb400t? just bought one and the frame is the same - trying to find a cb400t tank - im pretty sure it will fit on my bike. I just started getting into the older Jap bikes so i really need to learn alot more about them! thanks

JobCran92 To the best of my knowledge it is just the NON U.S. version. Thanks for bringing it up because now I have a another search I can do ...CB400N

JobCran92 said:
is the cb400n (superdream) the same (just later) version as the cb400t? just bought one and the frame is the same - trying to find a cb400t tank - im pretty sure it will fit on my bike. I just started getting into the older Jap bikes so i really need to learn alot more about them! thanks

JobCran got me searching........One new Link added to the list on Page 1.....nobudgetracer "Superdream". It also has some great links.

If you liked the Silver "all about the attitude" '79 CB400T on page 5, I found some more Pics, and added a link on Page 1........Justin Holt "CB400T Project"

so then most of the bikes you listed above (CB400, CB400A, CB400T, CB400C, CB400, CB400T, CB400Ti, CB400Tii, CB450, CB450T) have some or many interchangeable parts with the cb400n? I need a more rounded tank (the superdream tank kind of links with the side panel - with the panels off it looks terrible!) and as the frame is really bulky at the top ive had problems getting tanks to fit - any ideas which direction to go? I can really afford to have one made - id like to get a tank then beat it out for the knee indents - or cut out sections on either side and reverse them.

For the Most part Yes majority are interchangeable. When I changed from a 1980 CM400T tank to a 1978 CB400A tank I did need to Trim the 2 Metal "dowels" that the forward rubber mounts slide onto on each side. I had to trim down the rubber mounts also. Apparently the Tank Tunnel is narrower on the CB400A tank than the CM400.

By the way I do agree with you that the type tank you have does look strange witout the side panels.

Here is a link to simple model descriptions (Scroll down to 400cc)

http://www.motorera.com/honda/index.htm

And Another:

http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/List_of_Honda_motorcycles

Off the top of my head here are other CM CB differences:
* Longer & shaped different alloy mounts for Pegs (Traingular things) on the CB, shorter on the CM.
* Upper mount for Rear Shocks, CM are Eyelets, CB are Clevis.
* Rear Wheels, CM are 16" CB are 18"
* Different carbs on CM than CB
* Different Instruments/Cluster
* Air Box / Battery layout different on CM than CB (Stuff most of us tear out or relocate anyway)

ANYONE ELSE FEEL FREE TO CONTRIBUTE "DIFFERENCES"

Frankenfe:I saw a cb200 tank at the local motorcycle wreckers - really like it! was wondering if it would fit on my bike? the tank seems to be able to sit on a pretty wide frame so i was thinking I might be able to fit it to my bike. I have also found a fairly bulky cb250t tank - it fits and id probably cut out either side and reverse them - but I really like the cb200 tank look. any ideas?

JobCran92 It sounds like you have some capability to do cutting and welding so, in my opinion if the CB200 tank tunnel is deep and wide enough then go for it, mounts can always be changed and or adapted. So take measurements of your backbone and head back to the wrecker, or better yet if the wrecker has a CB400T or CM400 see if they will let you test fit it. Good Luck. In building a bike get used to making adaptations and fabbing what you need.

JobCran92 said:
Frankenfe:I saw a cb200 tank at the local motorcycle wreckers - really like it! was wondering if it would fit on my bike? the tank seems to be able to sit on a pretty wide frame so i was thinking I might be able to fit it to my bike. I have also found a fairly bulky cb250t tank - it fits and id probably cut out either side and reverse them - but I really like the cb200 tank look. any ideas?

Absolutely not, we are all basically dealing with the same issues / same frame.

But, I personally prefer the 400 and the extra 6 HP. (16.2%)

395 cc & 43 HP

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cm_400_t_1980.php

447 cc & 37 HP

http://www.bikez.com/motorcycles/honda_cm_450_custom_1982.php

I do like your build, I'm not a fan of the CM Reverse Comstars, especially the 16" rears, Good choice going to the CB Comstars with the 18" rear.

I added yours to page one....... japazit "DLH Project CM450"

Guys, linky to Cycle world review from 1982 has all the info on the 450. HP rating is slightly higher than the 39 HP claimed for the 400 but I found it someplace else as 47 or 48 @ 9000 RPM. Not sure which is right but the 82 was faster then the 81 400 in the testing.

http://www.iadesign.ca/hawk/article.html

I agree these Spec sites are all suspect, I was kinda havin some fun with ya.

Did you notice they also list the 450 as 2 valves per cylinder?

http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/Honda/honda_cm450.htm

I will admit the reason I have a 400 is cuz that is the first Honda twin I came across that was a good deal. I have coveted the 6 speed tranny, the oil cooler and oil injected head of the 450. That said I have seen many engines in vehicles grow in size and shrink in HP due to tuning etc. for better mileage and or emissions.

I guess we work with what we have.

EDIT: Maritime: I knew you would chime in on this,

good lol cause arguing over the power in a 400 or 450 is pretty silly, i was starting to feel like timmy and jimmy fighting on South Park.

Yep, I have had both motors, and there is just a slight increase with the 450, I only would change to it if, like me, you blew up the 400 and found a 450 like I did for the cost of parts to rebuild the 400. My 450 ended up being free after I sold the rest of the parts that came with the parts bike. It did have a titled frame and that was worth the $150 I paid for it alone. I only had the 5 speed 400 and I think the biggest improvement I get is from the 6 speed in the 450. The oil cooler and head oil line are more insurance items. All in all, if your motor dies, get a 450, if not, tune the 400.

I just can't resist pokin at you 450 guys. From Maritimes link:
"Honda claims no increase over last years rating of 39"

"And the most noticeable change in the 450 hawk ....is a new stumble and hesitation when the throttle is twisted below about 5000 rpm....Under full throttle acceleration or at high rpm the carbs work flawlessly. but when cruising around town or in traffic, the engine has a lean, hunting feeling, as though the bike is about to run out of gas. Twisting the throttle produces a momentary feeling like that of a turbo lag, without the turbo"

I am already going to have to deal with a lean scenario with free flow exhaust and pods.

...... : P....he he he
Maritime said:
Guys, linky to Cycle world review from 1982 has all the info on the 450. HP rating is slightly higher than the 39 HP claimed for the 400 but I found it someplace else as 47 or 48 @ 9000 RPM. Not sure which is right but the 82 was faster then the 81 400 in the testing.

http://www.iadesign.ca/hawk/article.html

MARITIME IF YOU HAVE ANYMORE GREAT LINKS ON THE 400/450's POST 'EM UP! (And Thanks for you continued contributions)

No problem, go on to read there was a Honda service bulletin that changed out the needles to fix that fueling issue. It was also a US market only emissions issue we Canucks never had that problem ;D We didn't have the same rules for emissions and got richer mixing carbs with easier to change parts. I know that is why I don't have some of the problems the US guys have with the bikes. I may have some more links, I will try and post them up. I know my bike, with the small wind screen and me in a crouch will hit an indicated 120 MPH, I have yet to weigh it but I know I have shaved close to 50 lbs off it. That being said, without the screen it struggles to get past 95, I am 6' and 200 lbs though. I rarely drive that fast but sometimes you just got to see what it can do.

Back
Top Bottom