** PICS OF MEMBERS RIDES ** - Official Before & After Thread

Two notes on this thread:

1. KickthePhotoBucket has always been on my "crap" list.

2. Just realized I've never posted in this thread...

Here's a starter- this is a totally original, low mileage 1975 Norton 850 Commando High Rider MkIII factory built "custom" that I picked up on the afternoon that Katrina hit Houston, as part of a commissioned cafe racer build with "carte blanche" from my first paying client. He had certain specifications, and left the rest to me. He wanted an alloy gas tank (that came a month after delivery of the bike as pictured with my black Interstate tank), bum-stop seat, CNW front brake, fork brace, adjustable clip-ons, rearset pegs, tiny turn signals (with alloy bodies), and everything alloy on the bike polished to mirror finish. First thing I did when I completed it was take it out Highway 59 and topped the ton, then held it there for several minutes. At some point, I hammered the throttle and it gave me the assurance that it is capable of at least 125.

BEFORE
412797166.jpg

AFTER
379197827.jpg

Interesting tidbit: I sold the seat, sissy bar and ape hangar bars for $1,000 to a dude from Sweden. Sold the tiny tank for $500.

1968 BSA A65 Lightning salvage build, sold to a CA buyer on a limited budget. Sparx electronic ignition, Clubman Racing seat. Nothing fancy, but it does the ton! Got this in a lot buy of 7 classic Britbike projects and a pickup truck load of parts.

410880116.jpg

Scratch-built 1974 Norton 850 Commando monoshock cafe racer

This is the pile of leftover parts that I started from, although I only ended up using the chassis parts, and a few other bits...

368509100.jpg

I designed and built my own monoshock swingarm working with 2 standard swingarms, used a ZX9 inverted front end, Kenny Dreer VR880 front hub, VR seat/tail, MkIII rear hub & disc brake, .040 over pistons & rings, Megacycle 560-00 cam with radiused lifters, Sparx ignition, alternator, and regluator/rectifier, hand-wired the bike with each circuit individually fused, alloy tank cost an arm and a leg, Buchanan's did the excel shouldered wheels & stainless spokes, Thomaselli clip-ons, and lots more that I've fogotten off the top of my head. Anyway, it's the only Commando I could loft the front wheel with, throttle only.

"Made in England, Born Again in Texas"
385891171.jpg

Do the ton? Oh yeah!

grandpaul said:
Scratch-built 1974 Norton 850 Commando monoshock cafe racer

This is the pile of leftover parts that I started from, although I only ended up using the chassis parts, and a few other bits...

368509100.jpg

I designed and built my own monoshock swingarm working with 2 standard swingarms, used a ZX9 inverted front end, Kenny Dreer VR880 front hub, VR seat/tail, MkIII rear hub & disc brake, .040 over pistons & rings, Megacycle 560-00 cam with radiused lifters, Sparx ignition, alternator, and regluator/rectifier, hand-wired the bike with each circuit individually fused, alloy tank cost an arm and a leg, Buchanan's did the excel shouldered wheels & stainless spokes, Thomaselli clip-ons, and lots more that I've fogotten off the top of my head. Anyway, it's the only Commando I could loft the front wheel with, throttle only.

385891171.jpg

Do the ton? Oh yeah!

Classy ride.

Sent from my iPhone using DO THE TON

This was a better-than-typical starting point, I bought this unfinished rolling project from a friend in Macon, GA. Leo Goff of Memphis Motor Werks had done the engine build, my friend Ed had assembled it to a roller with a nice Norvil fully floating front brake.

410880036.jpg

I sourced some bodywork from ebay and Clubman Racing, installed an ARD mini magneto, new Amal concentric carbs, and had my painter spray the black Imron. The bike is a serious beast, doing the ton goes without saying; just a twist of the wrist.

312321129.jpg

Yes, the Dunstall long-range gas tank & dual seat are an acquired taste; classic.

It's for sale, although there is a "possible" buyer that keeps saying he's going to send me a significant deposit (going on 2 months)

This is my AHRMA Novice Historic Production Heavyweight roadracer made from 66/67/68/69/70 Triumph Bonneville parts. I scratch built it from stuff I've had around my garage/shop, some for almost 20 years. I obtained my racing license on it, on my 50th birthday, then treated myself to the adventure of a lifetime racing 2 events (4 races) in 2007, 13 races in 2008 (half the available races) including finishing 5th in the championship against 21 other riders on much faster bikes, and a record-setting run on the Bonneville Salt Flats, and 4 races in 2010 (including a podium finish). It is BONE STOCK, apart from the electronic ignition.

BEFORE
279276534.jpg

AFTER
404842658.jpg

Do the Ton? YES.

Before & After of a client's '72 Norton Combat 750 Commando with Dunstall bodywork - had got hit by a car 15 years earlier and the bike sat and rusted in the Florida salt air. It got nice alloy wheels laced with stainless spokes by Buchanan's, drilled and Blanchard ground the front brake disc, K&N dual neck air filter, Sparx electronic ignition (which to this day, after over 40 units installed, is the ONLY one that has ever failed me, TWICE!).

Client claimed he couldn't tell the restored bike from the original except for the wheels & pipes.

329067400.jpg

No question it'll do the ton, with ease.

These were the leftovers from 4 lot purchases to salvage (2) ZRXs, and an engine purchase to make it worthwhile to build the 3rd ZRX.

"BEFORE"
348536712.jpg

"AFTER"
359613558.jpg

Do the ton? Oh yeah, in 3rd gear (and its a 5-speed), and it's not even breathing hard.

(sharp eyes will note that I didn't end up using the inverted forks)

grandpaul said:
These were the leftovers from 4 lot purchases to salvage (2) ZRXs, and an engine purchase to make it worthwhile to build the 3rd ZRX.

"BEFORE"
348536712.jpg

"AFTER"
359613558.jpg

Do the ton? Oh yeah, in 3rd gear (and its a 5-speed), and it's not even breathing hard.

(sharp eyes will note that I didn't end up using the inverted forks)

Nice job. These are fairly easy bikes to work on imho. I love that you brought one back to life instead of parting it out. I have my original and another parts bike same color same year, just in case. The Ton comes up pretty quick if you aren't watching for it. Best all around motorcycle I've ever known.

Back
Top Bottom