Should I buy?

dble0

I know six things about this potential purchase, that can't be seen by the pictures...
1. "It ran before it was taken apart"
2. when you rotate the kick starter, it feels like there is some amount of compression.
3. 1972 Honda CB350
4. Supposedly every part I need is either on the bike or in the piles
5. Comes with another Honda, believe it is a dirt bike, with a torn down motor.
6. Price tag is $250

My question for you, the guys with the experience, should I buy this "package"?

Attachments

• IMG_0001.JPG
    IMG_0001.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 313
  • IMG_0002.JPG
    IMG_0002.JPG
    818.1 KB · Views: 311
  • IMG_0003.JPG
    IMG_0003.JPG
    844.7 KB · Views: 307
  • IMG_0004.JPG
    IMG_0004.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0005.JPG
    IMG_0005.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 306
  • IMG_0006.JPG
    IMG_0006.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 304
  • IMG_0007.JPG
    IMG_0007.JPG
    833.7 KB · Views: 289
  • IMG_0008.JPG
    IMG_0008.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0009.JPG
    IMG_0009.JPG
    807.8 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_0010.JPG
    IMG_0010.JPG
    836.2 KB · Views: 305
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    888.6 KB · Views: 309
  • IMG_0012.JPG
    IMG_0012.JPG
    711.9 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_0013.JPG
    IMG_0013.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 319
hell yeah, gotta be worth it for spares alone, build either bike or use them for spares if you find better condition runner

the dirt bike tank and a flatter seat on the CB might be a good start

does it come with titles? i'm guessing not at that price

Absolutely..........................

I like that little dirt bike thingie...........

No titles, and now that I think about it I don't think either one has keys or ignition switches. At least not that I can see in the pics. I have always wanted my own little restoration project, and this looked like a good deal I just wanted to check with some people that knew more than me. I have already downloaded the service manual, electrical schematic, parts list, and tune up and specs guide for the 350. Feel free to send me links or direct me to anything else I might need. And stay tuned, there are a lot of extra parts that I will probably be selling off. Thank you guys.

Have you got any experience with this sort of thing? If not walk away. It definitely has potential for an experienced builder/ restorer, but it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of money to make something worthwhile out of it. Frankly he is asking too much for it and I'm in agreement with teazer... "No titles = no buy."
Maybe he should pay you for carting it away? :D

goldy said:
Have you got any experience with this sort of thing? If not walk away. It definitely has potential for an experienced builder/ restorer, but it's going to take a lot of work and a lot of money to make something worthwhile out of it. Frankly he is asking too much for it and I'm in agreement with teazer... "No titles = no buy."
Maybe he should pay you for carting it away? :D

No I do not have a whole lot of experience. But I have yet to find something that I couldn't pick up pretty quick. My thing is, I am a 27 year guy that recently decided to go back to school for an aerospace engineering degree. My bills are paid for with student loans and scholarships, and I work during the summers for extra play money. The way I see it, this is a way to keep me busy on my off days in the summer, and truthfully I don't mind if it took me 5 or even 10 years to finish. Oh and in Alabama, I have been told numerous times that if the vehicle is over 30 years old no title is needed for a legal sale or to have it registered. Oh and being a college student has its perks, I have access to a machine shop, 3D printers, and a cnc machine(granted there are some limitations in me using them but still, handy stuff).

With all of that said, does it still sound like a terrible idea? Or more of a semi reasonable idea?

I have been told numerous times.......

Don't sit there and just accept that answer - test it. Call the DMV or BMV or whatever they call it in your town and check it out so you know for sure. What did Ronnie say? Trust but verify.........

I'm not sure where in Bama you are, but I look for bikes as far from me as Birmingham. There are plenty of better deals to be had. I'm normally salivating at a trials bike, the fact is you have a lot of parts and maybe not so good parts. Hell, for a couple hundred more you can find a bike that "ran when parked" and only needs a little carb cleaning to hit the road. To put it in perspective, I got a titled CB350 roller, so everything but the motor, for free. Just need to find a parts bike to put it together. My XL, I got for $250 + $100 in trade. I just needed a battery, lighting and the typical kick starter. Another $100 for a parts bike on CL and I have it on the road. If you're looking for a summer project, you still have time to find a better deal.

They will make good 'project bikes' for sure and they'll keep you busy and challenged if that's what your idea is.I agree to make sure they can be registered later after the projects are complete.I had a pr. of oem mufflers like those in one of your pics powder coated bright shiny silver and they turned out nice :) That is a CB350G model which was the last ones they made. if you could pay a little less to 'liberate' those 2 project bikes from the present owner it wouldn't hurt but it's all up to you after all 'beauty is in the eye of the beholder' 8) and only you know the finished 'plan' you have in your imagination for those 2 bikes... I know lots of people will only buy a bike if it's an absolute 'steal' of a price but it's ultimately between you and the present owner.

I've registered two bikes in alabama without titles, if there over 30 years old all that is needed is a bill of sale. I would have the vin's ran to check there status.

Offer $50 for the trials bike and start there... if you can bring that up to a decent running rider for putsing a trail... then progress into something more challenging. If you title it you might get the cost back out and use the cash to buy something else.

Tune-A-Fish said:
You have to have more hair on the trigger, my guess id if he didn't buy it it's g-own

Well I did make the purchase. I probably won't get too much done until august/september time frame, since I already have a full summer. But my first order of business will be to sort out the parts, decipher what is extra and what goes with the two bikes I have. Then I will see if I have enough to fill in the couple missing pieces from the cb350. Once I have done that I will get to cleaning everything. The take needs some rust removed and the block has some oxidation that needs to be gotten rid of. I have some extra pieces; some fenders, a tach and speedo, pair of sleeves(head light bracket), an exhaust pipe or two and I think a few lights. I will clean all of that up and see if anyone wants some of it. Then, and only then will I make a list of my purchases needed to make the motor run and start making my first few purchases. I figure by going this route, if I find something severely bad during all of this then I can cut my loses and part out everything and break even and lose nothing but time. Wish me luck.

Back
Top Bottom