Holy cr*p it's a 1976 Honda CXRL650R street-tracking dirt-jumper! (and beer)...

namelesspenguin said:
so im following this amazingly intuitive and ingeniously diabolical build thread. ive also perused through your "1974 Yamaha TX650A - working lights and horn" thread. my question to you my good sir is, when the F**K are you gonna write up your "199? Ducati 916 - boxes and boxes full of awesome" build thread???
with the former and current build thread, I can only imagine what is/will be done with the Duc.

...weeeell... as the Honda build wraps up, the Ducati is up on the workbench...

IMG_20150921_180413.jpg

...gonna have to do some serious contemplation here! Certainly, something will have to get sold before this one gets moving... old Jap bikes have ravaged my bank account; I do not hasten to think what modern Italian hardware will do to it...

Hi there bud, I enjoyed your build. What will you be doing with that Duc? Will you be having a thread here on DTT? I'll be glad to follow along.

Cheers bud! Keep it coming!

If the Duc gets any sort of actual momentum going, then yes, it will have a thread here. In the meantime, I'm still shaking' down the Honda, and taking advantage of having another running bike to get a little work done on the Yamaha...

This bike is looking reasonably buttoned-up, but somehow, something is missing here... I'm pretty sure it's more cowbell meat and beer!

We've had a decent Indian Summer here in the northeast, but today on October 1 it's looking a little cool, dark, and drizzly. Time for seasonal comfort-food! This is a riff on a recipe handed to me by my German-descent stepfather, who claims that there is an inverse relationship between how the dish looks, and how it tastes. I'm inclined to agree; when complete, it looks like greasy grey gruel, but tastes like heaven.

Give yourself some time; start this in the morning. With the crock-pot on the hottest setting, add:

2015-10-01 09.48.21.jpg

1 lb salt-pork, coarse dice (this would be pork #1)
1 large yellow onion, medium dice
4 bay leaves
2 tsp whole peppercorns (I like a mix of red, green, black, and white 'corns)
2 tsp whole caraway seeds
1 tsp whole mustard seeds

Render this down until the salt pork is shrunk by at least half and the onions are translucent... Not quite there in this pic:

2015-10-01 10.26.08.jpg

Now add:

4-ish lbs coarse-chopped young potatoes (feel free to experiment with variety, this time I'm using a medley of Yukon Gold, Russet, and heirloom purple)

2015-10-01 10.27.37.jpg

Let the 'pot get back up to temp, and then add:

2 lbs sauerkraut (I include most of the liquid; bagged 'kraut is usually a little drier than the jarred variety)

2015-10-01 10.35.43.jpg

Stir it up, let it get back up to temp, and drop in pork #2:

5-6 uncooked Beer Bratwurst (some people pierce the casing, but they cook so long and get so fally-aparty that I like to keep some structural integrity in place)

2015-10-01 10.38.49.jpg

Again, as with each addition of cold ingredients, let the crock get back up to steamy temp before burying the bratwurst into the middle layer of veg, then add pork #3 on top:

1 rack pork back ribs, cut into several portions to fit

2015-10-01 10.43.03.jpg

Again, a little rest, then in goes a bottle of room-temp lager (pretty much the only good use for room-temp lager). No particular brand preference, but anything with a buxom German bar-wench on the label seems incredibly appropriate.

2015-10-01 10.46.45.jpg

Top the ribs with a little coarse salt & pepper, a pinch more mustard & caraway seeds, and a few more bay leaves. Cover it up, wait for the liquid to start bubbling, then reduce the temp to low and walk away for a few hours. Resist the urge to fiddle with the lid, or dig around in there. The first proper stirring doesn't happen until the ribs are starting to look mostly-cooked.

Stay tuned.

3-1/2 hrs in, ready for the first good stir. Whole house smells like a pork-fueled beer-hall... The good kind.

IMG_20151001_144557.jpg

2 more hours and we should be ready to go.

osteoderm said:
3-1/2 hrs in, ready for the first good stir. Whole house smells like a pork-fueled beer-hall... The good kind.

IMG_20151001_144557.jpg

2 more hours and we should be ready to go.

Whats your address? Im on my way!

...and here we go! Three kinds of pork, seven hours of low'n'slow, plated up with a squort of whole-grain mustard, a dollop of full-fat sour cream, and of course a beer...

IMG_20151001_192516.jpg

Just the sort of dish to chase away October blahs and prep our guts for a productive fall/winter bike-building season!

I hate you, says the man in the land of few pork products.

I pretty much live in the anti-Germany.

osteoderm said:
...weeeell... as the Honda build wraps up, the Ducati is up on the workbench...

...gonna have to do some serious contemplation here! Certainly, something will have to get sold before this one gets moving... old Jap bikes have ravaged my bank account; I do not hasten to think what modern Italian hardware will do to it...

SELL EVERRRYYYYTHIIIINNGGGG!!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom