1972 cb/cl 100

Cool, thanks Trek. My point is capped at .4mm. Book says to have it between .3mm and.4mm. Should I tightened it up to .3? I tired to do the static light test but my battery died. I'll have to charge it up today.

.4 is good. ;)

.3 = smaller gap = gives the coil more time to build charge = less time to cool down between cycles = melting coil = more charge available for plug spark.

.4 = larger gap = gives the coil less time to build charge = more time to cool down between cycles = less charge sent to plug spark.

I just saw dougs coils melted down enroute to Kentucky Spring Thaw...not pretty. Halfway between Maryland and Kentucky. His points were worn down...caused his gap to get too small, out of spec.

I use a smaller gap on my 360. But, it gets checked periodically.

Ok, great. This afternoon the carb is coming back off for a full clean, and to push the throttle neddle up a clip. I read that that fixed a problem like mine on another build.

JB77 said:
Ok, great. This afternoon the carb is coming back off for a full clean, and to push the throttle neddle up a clip. I read that that fixed a problem like mine on another build.

(raise clip) = lower needle = leaner

Haha, I'm always learning. While getting my daily rider inspected today I talked to the guy at the shop about the cb. He told me the same thing. Before going there I popped the needle clip a click higher than original location. (Lower needle) it started on third kick, but would bogg if I rolled the throttle. I just dropped the needle back down, but went a click lower(so richer). I'll try to start it again tomorrow. Kids are sleeping now. If I keep failing, I'm going to ask for the proper carb for my birthday. This one might be too far off.

No smoke yesterday. Wouldn't let me give it any gas, if I tried even a little it would start to stall. Choke open half idle set to one turn in from touching slide, no throttle. It would run for about a minute. When it was running for more than a minute the other day it had some light white smoke as it heated up.

Found this book for sale on a library shelf. They probably thought it was a little out of date with a 1999 copyright. Just Read both chapters on fuel system and timing. We'll see what I can figure out today.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1433595432303.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1433595432303.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 260
white "smoke" is only steam from condensation inside the things and stuff. Heating up and drying out.

dont give her any throttle until choke is wide open. The added restriction+vacuum "may" suck fuel through jets like a garden hose. When you give her throttle the building rpms gotta get something from somewhere, and if it cant get enough fresh air....well. Shes sucking whatever she can get from where ever she can find it.

Ok, cool. That's what I figured about the smoke. Thanks for the throttle info. I'll go out and try again in a bit. If nothing else, at least I am learning about carbs.

Went out, choke at half, throttle twisted two or three times. Kick, starts on first try. Idles kinda low, work choke. Warms up, choke off starts to idle too low, gently try to roll throttle, wants to stall, try working the choke, same deal. Eventually stalls and now won't start warm. Battery was dead, so that's on charge. Not sure if that has anything to do with this.

JB77 said:
Went out, choke at half, throttle twisted two or three times. Kick, starts on first try. Idles kinda low, work choke. Warms up, choke off starts to idle too low, gently try to roll throttle, wants to stall, try working the choke, same deal. Eventually stalls and now won't start warm. Battery was dead, so that's on charge. Not sure if that has anything to do with this.

Twisting throttle 2-3 times before starting, dont do anything..vacuum operated carbs.

sounding LEAN, if your not seeing black smoke...when shes bogging.

turn idle speed screw in a half turn. turn Air/Fuel mix needle out a turn.

Im not sure about these 6vdc bikes, but a 12v 360 dont like to run w a low/bad battery. Not enough power for lights AND coils.

1/2 in, 1/2 out. Kicked right over ran pretty good. Adjusted the idle slightly spun around the yard a couple times. It still has a rough spot, but I could keep it running. Probably the main jet. Maiden voyage down the road will have to wait until tomorrow. Heading to a party with the fam now. Trek, thank you for all your help. Here's to hoping all goes well tomorrow.

your welcome, ;)

get her good and hot. letting her idle, slowly turn in (1/4 turn at a time) on A/F mix needle til, you HEAR idle rpm just start to drop. Then, turning it out. Rpm will rise, keep turning out til rpm just starts to drop. turn back in til you get fastest idle speed.
THEN adjust idle speed to approx 1200 (by guessing it sounds about right ;))
Then just for fun. give the A/F mix a turn back and forth to find high idle again. reset idle rpm.

do a real plug chop.

now get her on the road and up to speed...what like 40-45mph or so? hold her rpms steady for 45+ seconds.

kill her and pull clutch lever at the same time. stop and pull spark plug. See what color it is.

white = raise needle
black = lower needle
any color tan = good enough ;D for now

JB77, you and trek97 have motivated me too get out and play with my little CB100 again.

Glad I actually sat down with the book, and slowly read it, and realized I had the cam gear mounted 180 degrees out.

Here's where it is, still a million miles to go to have it anywhere close to y'alls:

Attachments

• P1040806.JPG
    P1040806.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 222
Glad we could motivate you budlite. I'll be watching for the continuation of your build.

Redliner, thanks for your help along the way as well. I'm glad I found this forum.

Here is the first ride. Between half and 3/4 throttle it stutters and feels like it's starving for fuel. I have not done the plug chop yet, but am guessing I need to pull the needle up another clip to get more fuel in the system. If still having problems I'll look into a bigger main jet.
https://youtu.be/iJBSEgbcYz8

Back
Top Bottom